U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 02:06 PM

44,917 posts, read 36,220,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, trying to set up a transfer to California in a few years.
You just got transferred (or moved in some way) to South Carolina, right? Wow, your weather is almost identical to mine today if you're anywhere near Columbia. However, though we're forecast to drop in temps over the next few days, temps in Columbia are slated to go even higher. Go buy a tent!

Of course, if you're on the coast, it only feels like 94 degrees instead of 98 - and then there's always THE BEACH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Careful, lack of sweating and confusion ("felt great outside") are signs of heat stroke.

Right now at 1pm in central Houston (East Montrose) it is 97 degrees with a heat index of 108. The low last night was a balmy 77 degrees with 89% relative humidity, and the 20 minute downpour this morning followed by partly sunny skies are keeping things pretty steamy. Best to keep the car out of the sun, as its temperature was up to 114 degrees when parked at work this week.

Only 92 more days until the average high temperature falls below 90! If Houston is "lucky" it may get a Tropical Storm that may keep temperatures "down" for a couple of days (rain with highs in the 80s) between now and October.
I remember. This is why we left Texas. It hasnít broken 90 yet this in spring in Philly, though itís supposed to pass that threshold for all of two days later this week before settling down to a reasonable temp for the foreseeable future. But guess what? Iím currently on the 3rd floor deck of a beach house in Kitty Hawk enjoying the breeze and a glass of wine, so Iíll miss those 2 days. Cheers!

Old 06-16-2018, 05:12 PM

87,015 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I remember. This is why we left Texas. It hasnít broken 90 yet this in spring in Philly, though itís supposed to pass that threshold for all of two days later this week before settling down to a reasonable temp for the foreseeable future. But guess what? Iím currently on the 3rd floor deck of a beach house in Kitty Hawk enjoying the breeze and a glass of wine, so Iíll miss those 2 days. Cheers!
Denver has already had 12 days >90 degrees, 2 in May and 10 in June.
https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

Old 06-16-2018, 05:25 PM

6,565 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And I've yet to run the AC for more than 5 hours in a single day. Poor suckers in Dallas have had theirs on 24/7 for the better part of 3 weeks now.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 PM

87,015 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
And I've yet to run the AC for more than 5 hours in a single day. Poor suckers in Dallas have had theirs on 24/7 for the better part of 3 weeks now.
DH and I are both home all day, so some days we might run it 8 hr or so. Never at night.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Difference is, once the sun goes down here, it feels nice.

Current heat index in Englewood? 70. Current index in Dallas? 93. Do you understand the difference. It's not just the peak temperature of the day, it's the length of the heat. We can revisit this in mid September as well. Denver summers can't touch a Texas summer.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
11:30am. Sitting on a bench beneath a stand of Ponderosa Pine at 7000'. It's 81 degrees, but with the low humidity it feels like it's still in the 70s. Will be in the 70s almost all next week. Glorious.
Yep, with Colorado, you get a break from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

For what it's worth, I'll update the thread when I get too hot for too long. So far so good! I'm sure there will be a stretch of 100 degree days - probably in July or August - when I'll be burning up - and I'll be sure to keep you posted. But then I'll just remember how much I love our mild winters and gorgeous springs when I feel that way. And of course, my husband and I nearly always go on vacation to some place like Maine in September, because by then we're tired of being hot - much like people from other regions vacation in warm spots when they're tired of being cold.

It's nice to have options!
Don't have to wait. Heat index was 98 when you posted this.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
We went to the Outer Banks last month!

A cold front came in the day after we got there - it was at least ten degrees colder than they anticipated. We stayed in a luxury resort right on the beach. It was so wet and cloudy and rainy the entire time that we literally couldn't see the water at all. It rained and was in the 50s for highs the entire time we were there. We couldn't sit on the beach, heck we couldn't even SEE the beach. We ended up going to Yorktown, Roanoke, Fort Monroe, etc. We saw every lighthouse around - of course we had to walk right up to them to see them because the fog was so dense, and there was no point in paying to climb them because we wouldn't be able to see anything from the top anyway. We drove through Kitty Hawk several times since to get to the mainland you basically have to drive through Kitty Hawk. I'm not particularly into the Orville and Wilber Wright story but we were so bored we even checked out THAT exhibit. Finally on our last day, after we'd bumped it out till we literally couldn't bump it any longer, hoping for better weather, we froze our wet tushes off doing the whole wild horses drive, which was interesting once I just owned being cold and soaked to the bone. We DID see some wild horses though, which was cool.

My favorite day though was spent in Yorktown.

I used to live in NC. I also lived in Virginia - both times near the coastline. I like both states but I know their drawbacks, that's for sure (all states have 'em).

Next vacation - the US Virgin Islands - NOT in hurricane season!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Don't have to wait. Heat index was 98 when you posted this.
Really? Well, not to split hairs but that's not 100. And not only that, frankly I didn't notice because I was enjoying piddling around in the yard. Then about 7 I got cleaned up and went over to my neighbor's house for some porch sitting and games. They're from New Mexico but moved here a year ago. We sat outside on their patio till it got dark. I guess the heat just doesn't bother some people.

How do you like South Carolina?

My goodness, look at the five day forecast for Chandler, TX - today is the hottest, with a high of 90. It should be down into the mid 80s in a couple of days!
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USTX0234:1:US

Since you keep fixating on the weather where I live, I'll try to redirect you to focus on where YOU live. Here's the five day forecast for Columbia, SC - for the record it's forecast to be significantly hotter than Chandler, TX- batten down the hatches because your heat index is going to be over 100 for at least the next five days - actual temps of 99. Sorry! Oh well, I'm sure we'll catch up with you sooner or later.
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USSC0065:1:US

Old 06-17-2018, 06:56 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We went to the Outer Banks last month!

A cold front came in the day after we got there - it was at least ten degrees colder than they anticipated. We stayed in a luxury resort right on the beach. It was so wet and cloudy and rainy the entire time that we literally couldn't see the water at all. It rained and was in the 50s for highs the entire time we were there. We couldn't sit on the beach, heck we couldn't even SEE the beach. We ended up going to Yorktown, Roanoke, Fort Monroe, etc. We saw every lighthouse around - of course we had to walk right up to them to see them because the fog was so dense, and there was no point in paying to climb them because we wouldn't be able to see anything from the top anyway. We drove through Kitty Hawk several times since to get to the mainland you basically have to drive through Kitty Hawk. I'm not particularly into the Orville and Wilber Wright story but we were so bored we even checked out THAT exhibit. Finally on our last day, after we'd bumped it out till we literally couldn't bump it any longer, hoping for better weather, we froze our wet tushes off doing the whole wild horses drive, which was interesting once I just owned being cold and soaked to the bone. We DID see some wild horses though, which was cool.

My favorite day though was spent in Yorktown.

I used to live in NC. I also lived in Virginia - both times near the coastline. I like both states but I know their drawbacks, that's for sure (all states have 'em).

Next vacation - the US Virgin Islands - NOT in hurricane season!
The east coast has had a very wet spring this year. Sorry your vacation turned out so poorly, but it seems you made the best of it.

First time in OBX. We are with family from SC and this was a good halfway point. We are in an extremely expensive house in which we can literally step out into the sand from the bottom floor. Fingers crossed the weather forecast holds. The beach is nice but I donít expect to come here again as itís isolated and we have much closer beaches in NJ and Delmarva which are just as nice. At least weíll have a feel for the OBX when it comes up in conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or