Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The east coast has had a very wet spring this year. Sorry your vacation turned out so poorly, but it seems you made the best of it.

First time in OBX. We are with family from SC and this was a good halfway point. We are in an extremely expensive house in which we can literally step out into the sand from the bottom floor. Fingers crossed the weather forecast holds. The beach is nice but I don’t expect to come here again as it’s isolated and we have much closer beaches in NJ and Delmarva which are just as nice. At least we’ll have a feel for the OBX when it comes up in conversation.
I totally, totally agree. I mean, we won't be back. I had already been to the OBX before, having lived in NC and VA, and I lived not far from VA Beach and then had adult kids living there later, so we've BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I do love the Hampton Roads area and I think Virginia Beach is one of the best beach destinations for just a classic beachy time with the family but I want to see something different next time.

I totally agree that the OBX are isolated. We did make the best of it but dang it. It was an expensive, weird vacation that's for sure.

You want to see true isolation? Drive down to Ocracoke! It's interesting but I wouldn't say it's appealing. We stayed in Duck. It's a well heeled, posh little town, but there's not a lot to do when the beach is too cold!

I like Rehoboth Beach in DE a LOT. I really like that eastern seaboard - even though the water tends to be colder than I prefer. I LOVE South Padre Island - when it's not spring break! But that's another very isolated beach. That's one reason I prefer the Chesapeake Bay and MidAtlantic region for beach vacations - I like all the hustle and bustle and the boardwalks and just overall fun.

Hint - I don't even totally get into saltwater taffy, but there is some great saltwater taffy made in Virginia Beach that's sold throughout the OBX and every time I go to that region I buy some. YUM. But overall, I think what really disappointed me was the lack of good seafood restaurant options. I mean, maybe living in the Chesapeake Bay area for so long spoiled me, but I couldn't believe how few quality restaurants with fresh seafood were in that area. We did eat one night at the Paper Canoe in Duck and it was very good though. But the best meal we had was actually in a little pub in Yorktown. Oh my, the scallops...the scallops...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 07:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally, totally agree. I mean, we won't be back. I had already been to the OBX before, having lived in NC and VA, and I lived not far from VA Beach and then had adult kids living there later, so we've BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I do love the Hampton Roads area and I think Virginia Beach is one of the best beach destinations for just a classic beachy time with the family but I want to see something different next time.

I totally agree that the OBX are isolated. We did make the best of it but dang it. It was an expensive, weird vacation that's for sure.

You want to see true isolation? Drive down to Ocracoke! It's interesting but I wouldn't say it's appealing. We stayed in Duck. It's a well heeled, posh little town, but there's not a lot to do when the beach is too cold!

I like Rehoboth Beach in DE a LOT. I really like that eastern seaboard - even though the water tends to be colder than I prefer. I LOVE South Padre Island - when it's not spring break! But that's another very isolated beach. That's one reason I prefer the Chesapeake Bay and MidAtlantic region for beach vacations - I like all the hustle and bustle and the boardwalks and just overall fun.

Hint - I don't even totally get into saltwater taffy, but there is some great saltwater taffy made in Virginia Beach that's sold throughout the OBX and every time I go to that region I buy some. YUM. But overall, I think what really disappointed me was the lack of good seafood restaurant options. I mean, maybe living in the Chesapeake Bay area for so long spoiled me, but I couldn't believe how few quality restaurants with fresh seafood were in that area. We did eat one night at the Paper Canoe in Duck and it was very good though. But the best meal we had was actually in a little pub in Yorktown. Oh my, the scallops...the scallops...
Looked at rentals in Ocracoke but didn’t see a reason to make that trek other than to say we did it.

Interesting that you like Rehoboth. It’s my favorite beach town, but figured that’s because I grew up nearby. And I think the seafood from the Chesapeake Bay is tops. Also, like you, I’m a big boardwalk person, and there are plenty of in the mid-Atlantic, some more than a century old.

We go to Acadia National Park in Maine each fall, and the beautiful rocky coasts are the most spectacular on the east coast, imo. This year, we’re tagging 4 nights in Cape Cod onto the trip to explore that area. I’m more inclined to visit the coasts in the off-season. My sunbathing days are way behind me.

Never liked salt water taffy, even as a kid. Too sticky.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Looked at rentals in Ocracoke but didn’t see a reason to make that trek other than to say we did it.

Interesting that you like Rehoboth. It’s my favorite beach town, but figured that’s because I grew up nearby. And I think the seafood from the Chesapeake Bay is tops. Also, like you, I’m a big boardwalk person, and there are plenty of in the mid-Atlantic, some more than a century old.

We go to Acadia National Park in Maine each fall, and the beautiful rocky coasts are the most spectacular on the east coast, imo. This year, we’re tagging 4 nights in Cape Cod onto the trip to explore that area. I’m more inclined to visit the coasts in the off-season. My sunbathing days are way behind me.

Never liked salt water taffy, even as a kid. Too sticky.
We will probably go to Maine some time in the next year - I have never been to Bar Harbor so we may fly into Portland and check that area out. I love Maine!

I really like the big, old hotels along that northeast coastline. We stayed at the Black Point Inn a couple of years ago and I'd love to go back.
https://www.blackpointinn.com/?gclid...SAAEgLO5fD_BwE

We often go north in September because it is still hot here and we're tired of it at that point. Not sure how we'll work in Maine this year because we're going to go see kids and grandkids in Ohio, which is also a terrific state to visit in autumn, but they are discussing meeting us in Yellowstone so there you have it. Hmmm. I really want my northeast fix though so we'll see. It would be interesting to go to Yellowstone as an adult - th last time I was there was when I was a kid.

I may push to go to Portland and northward in May - we'll see. But I hate to miss the fall colors, and I hate the idea of waiting over a year to go back! LOL

First world problems. "I want to go to Maine on vacation but I don't want to wait till next fall...may have to just go twice."

Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 AM

And yes, Rehoboth Beach is a great beach town. I can totally understand why you're so bored with the Outer Banks after growing up around that MidAtlantic beach scene. I felt the same way.

My husband has traveled a lot domestically and internationally but he's from northeast Texas so he didn't grow up experiencing a beach or boardwalk sort of town. He doesn't really understand why I yearn so much for it! When we went to Maine a couple of years ago, it had been probably three (very hard emotionally) years since I'd seen a coastline. We had had a very trying few years with sick, elderly, dying parents - in fact, a week after we got back from Maine my dad suddenly died and he was one of the parents we thought would be around for much longer. Anyway, so I had a lot of anxiety built up and wow, I needed me some beach! We drove up to near Portland from Boston and we stopped along the way at a lighthouse (Nubble). When we got out of the car, and I smelled that sea air and heard those waves, I nearly ran for the coastline. When we saw the beach itself, I just burst into tears of joy. Yes, my husband thought I was crazy but I was just so happy to see that beautiful ocean and hear those waves.

I much prefer the Atlantic seaboard over any other coastline in the US. There's something so majestic and sunny about it (usually). Strong, brave, stoic - that's how it always strikes me. Not for the faint of heart. I spent a lot of time along the Florida Gulf Coast as a teen because we lived in Georgia and EVERYONE went to Panama City every chance they got and of course I went with them, but I always thought it was tame and mild compared to that crashing, bracing Atlantic. I love it!

I do like South Padre Island though - the water is incredibly clear and the sand is gorgeous and if you go off season, it's still warm and the water is fabulous. It's very clean and the waves are usually pretty good, better than Panama City or Gulf Shores, but not as good as the MidAtlantic region. But overall, it's gorgeous. And great seafood, nice hotels, etc. But wow is it ever isolated. I mean, you do have lots of fun things to do right there on SPI, but other than that, you're outta luck. And no matter where you fly into, you have a long drive to SPI.

I told my husband "We could be in Gulf Shores Alabama in the same amount of time," and he didn't believe me but by golly it's true - we did it the next year and I proved it. But still - it's not the Atlantic seaboard, which is tops in my book.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Really? Well, not to split hairs but that's not 100. And not only that, frankly I didn't notice because I was enjoying piddling around in the yard. Then about 7 I got cleaned up and went over to my neighbor's house for some porch sitting and games. They're from New Mexico but moved here a year ago. We sat outside on their patio till it got dark. I guess the heat just doesn't bother some people.

How do you like South Carolina?

My goodness, look at the five day forecast for Chandler, TX - today is the hottest, with a high of 90. It should be down into the mid 80s in a couple of days!
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USTX0234:1:US

Since you keep fixating on the weather where I live, I'll try to redirect you to focus on where YOU live. Here's the five day forecast for Columbia, SC - for the record it's forecast to be significantly hotter than Chandler, TX- batten down the hatches because your heat index is going to be over 100 for at least the next five days - actual temps of 99. Sorry! Oh well, I'm sure we'll catch up with you sooner or later.
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USSC0065:1:US
It's Clemson, not Columbia and yes, it's hot as hell. Heat index is 92 at 9 am in Chandler. And you love to cherry pick, but why not look at the two week forecast?https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX0234:1:US And that's without the heat index. Texas is hot, to you, it's not as you don't get hot until it hits 100, not 98 right? LOL. But to the rest of us, 92 at 940 am is hot. Not including the deep south of course. I'm sure that's just as bad as your parts. Good day Kathryn, hope that didn't upset you.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's Clemson, not Columbia and yes, it's hot as hell. Heat index is 92 at 9 am in Chandler. And you love to cherry pick, but why not look at the two week forecast?https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX0234:1:US And that's without the heat index. Texas is hot, to you, it's not as you don't get hot until it hits 100, not 98 right? LOL. But to the rest of us, 92 at 940 am is hot. Not including the deep south of course. I'm sure that's just as bad as your parts. Good day Kathryn, hope that didn't upset you.
It's too beautiful here and my life is too good for you to upset me. I just came in from sitting out on my patio and totally enjoying the morning, coffee, a People magazine (a guilty vice I have), the birds, the squirrels, the dogs, the breeze and the dappled sunlight. It's gorgeous out there. I only came in to bring in some flowers I cut for fresh arrangements throughout the house...but then more coffee and C-D beckoned...

I'm sitting here listening to Mike and the Mechanics "In the Living Years" in honor of Father's Day. My dad died a year and a half ago and to be honest, I was too overwhelmed with the estate and my mom's increasing needs for Father's Day last year to even register with me. But this year, I'm missing my dad. The last photo I have of him well was a few days before his stroke, sitting outside (in the heat - which never bothered either of us native southerners very much) on my patio. One of my favorite people in one of my favorite places. He was not a native Texan either but he loved living here - and I don't regret following my parents' lead and moving here myself 25 years ago. As for the weather - well, I'd lived in GA, SC, NC, AL, and Louisiana, so yeah...I'm totally adjusted to the heat and I love the mild winters (note - I've also lived in Ohio, Japan, Germany, and Maryland and traveled throughout most of Europe and the US, so I'm very familiar with colder locales). It's simply my preference - a longer summer in exchange for a milder winter - but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate other regions or find them beautiful in their own way.

By the way, I used to live in Clemson. Well, actually I lived in Central, which as you probably know is right outside of Clemson. My ex husband was in track and field for Clemson's team. Yes, it's hot and humid there but neither Clemson nor Chandler has anything on New Orleans when it comes to heat and humidity combined, and that's saying something! But I love New Orleans too.

The key is to wear all natural fabrics, sunglasses, and drink lots of water. When I do that, I feel great. But I don't dare wear any synthetic blend clothes in the south in the summer!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
By the way, our heat indexes are the same today - imagine that! Oh, wait, you don't have to imagine it - you're livin' the dream!

Look, this whole thing is silly - Clemson, SC is hot and humid and has a long summer (but more severe winters than I personally prefer). Chandler, TX is hot and humid and has a long summer. You don't like that weather pattern but I personally do. I am not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine. Why don't we both just focus on what makes us happy where we are? That's what I do all day every day but I freely admit that I'm a little spoiled. (Not that I haven't earned it - LOL.)

Old 06-17-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
By the way, our heat indexes are the same today - imagine that! Oh, wait, you don't have to imagine it - you're livin' the dream!

Look, this whole thing is silly - Clemson, SC is hot and humid and has a long summer (but more severe winters than I personally prefer). Chandler, TX is hot and humid and has a long summer. You don't like that weather pattern but I personally do. I am not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine. Why don't we both just focus on what makes us happy where we are? That's what I do all day every day but I freely admit that I'm a little spoiled. (Not that I haven't earned it - LOL.)
I've never said Clemson wasn't hot. You need to shift your focus away from me. Every time I post a weather update, it's not meant as a slight to you or your state. But splitting hairs by saying 98 isn't 100 shows how upset you are and I'm sorry that is how you take things. I will try not to up set you anymore.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I've never said Clemson wasn't hot. You need to shift your focus away from me. Every time I post a weather update, it's not meant as a slight to you or your state. But splitting hairs by saying 98 isn't 100 shows how upset you are and I'm sorry that is how you take things. I will try not to up set you anymore.
LOL I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out that when I say "100" I mean "100" - not "98." But that's OK. No need to apologize. As I've stated to you several times, you don't upset me.

And I only respond to you directly when you continue to post information on Chandler and Texas - places you don't live but seem to have some sort of fixation about. I don't know why you feel a compulsion to continue to check out the weather in Chandler, TX or Tyler, TX or Texas in general but for some reason you continue to post about it. Since as far as I know, I'm the only person on this thread who lives in the Tyler TX area, yes, your posts on Tyler and Chandler TX weather (Chandler is a bedroom community of Tyler as you probably know) do seem to be, if not directed AT me, pointed in my general direction.

Here's an update - I mean, I guess I'll give this to you specifically since you seem so interested in the weather in my area:

We never got our promised rain yesterday, dang it! But we do have lots of rain and great chances for it forecast over the next four days so I am keeping my fingers crossed! Our highs over the next few days will only be in the 80s which is nice. We're far enough away from the Gulf Coast to get some rain from the system in the Gulf, but not the torrential rain and flooding that SE Texas may get. Sucks to be them but that's just another reason why I plan to never live in Houston!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 06-18-2018 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
LOL I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out that when I say "100" I mean "100" - not "98." But that's OK. No need to apologize. As I've stated to you several times, you don't upset me.

And I only respond to you directly when you continue to post information on Chandler and Texas - places you don't live but seem to have some sort of fixation about. I don't know why you feel a compulsion to continue to check out the weather in Chandler, TX or Tyler, TX or Texas in general but for some reason you continue to post about it. Since as far as I know, I'm the only person on this thread who lives in the Tyler TX area, yes, your posts on Tyler and Chandler TX weather (Chandler is a bedroom community of Tyler as you probably know) do seem to be, if not directed AT me, pointed in my general direction.

Here's an update - I mean, I guess I'll give this to you specifically since you seem so interested in the weather in my area:

We never got our promised rain yesterday, dang it! But we do have lots of rain and great chances for it forecast over the next four days so I am keeping my fingers crossed! Our highs over the next few days will only be in the 80s which is nice. We're far enough away from the Gulf Coast to get some rain from the system in the Gulf, but not the torrential rain and flooding that SE Texas may get. Sucks to be them but that's just another reason why I plan to never live in Houston!
If you would review the thread, every time I would post anything regarding Texas as a whole, you would chime in with "well, I'm in Chandler, and it's 89 degrees, but I got a shade, a tent, so it feels like nothing."

So, I figured you wanted a specific weather update. I've lived in Tyler a lot of my life, I can absolutely post about it, Dallas and CC as well.

And you're right, 98 is certainly not 100. World of difference, in your world anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.