U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 06:03 PM

6,495 posts, read 4,076,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Where do you get that?
It's my opinion. When I hear a statement such as the one below, it makes me think about it anew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Change of seasons is underrated. After 3 months I am always ready for the next one.
I realize other opinions differ, and that's fine! Many people just love the perpetually changing seasons. I myself certainly enjoy a day or two of rain or a weekend in the snow, but a little of that goes a long way for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
. I myself certainly enjoy a day or two of rain or a weekend in the snow, but a little of that goes a long way for me.
Which is why we like change of seasons.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 PM

44,747 posts, read 36,160,327 times
I love the different seasons and am glad that I can afford to visit other places if I get a hankering for a different sort of vibe. I mean, I can visit them when it's THEIR "glory season" and stay home when their weather is not what I prefer.

I also feel like I get a change of seasons where I live - four distinct seasons. They're not necessarily four seasons of exactly three months each, but frankly I don't know of many places that I'd like to live that ARE that way - that's certainly not enough reason for me to move someplace when I generally like the weather where I currently live and I certainly love my overall lifestyle, proximity to friends and family, my home, etc.

And I don't want three months of cold, wet, icy winter - let alone four or five months of the distinct possibility of ice or snow or freezing temps on a regular basis. And some other people wouldn't want four or five months of temps in the 80s and 90s either - I get that and that's ok - we have a big, wide world with weather patterns to suit any preference.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 PM

My Dallas friends tell me it was 100 degrees at 9 pm at Love Field yesterday. Yikes!

Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
My Dallas friends tell me it was 100 degrees at 9 pm at Love Field yesterday. Yikes!
I checked the reading at DFW at midnight Denver time (1 am Dallas time) last night. 92 degrees. Yuck.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 PM

8,803 posts, read 4,720,187 times
I prefer a 3 season place over a 4 season but dont think there is a region like that in the US LOL.

If Fall was Mid-September to the end of December
Followed by Spring like temps and rainy weather from Hanuary to the end of April
Summer Weather May to Mid-September

Love Fall in the New England area mostly for it's Weather and Beauty. Don't mind the drastic change in Weather.

Though December to end of March meh...meh...meh!!!

Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I checked the reading at DFW at midnight Denver time (1 am Dallas time) last night. 92 degrees. Yuck.

Right now, ten till midnight, the HI is 95 in Dallas.93 in Houston, but only 71 in Clemson

Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 AM

44,747 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Yep we are experiencing record heat here in Texas (as well as Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma). It's all over the news. We could break long standing heat records today and tomorrow.

Thank goodness for AC and ceiling fans! This is that trade off for those fabulous winters! I have to remind myself of that.
My dogs like it though because they get to spend most of the day indoors!

At least it's not humid and sticky outside. One of my best friends lives near Atlanta, GA and she keeps posting the local heat index, which due to the humidity of that area, is the SAME heat index as here, though the actual temperature there is about 10 degrees cooler.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,438,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Change of seasons is underrated. After 3 months I am always ready for the next one, which is why I couldn't live in the South (especially southwest) where the seasons are basically hot and hotter.

P.S. Winter in MN is only 3 months (at least to Minnesotans).
I agree. I have lived in Southern California my whole life (I'm 43 now), and I've always wanted to relocate to a four-season area (not necessarily to a place that has any harsh seasons -- but just actual "seasons") because our seasonal shifts here in So. Cal are mild to say the least. In my opinion, summer here lasts too long; we have summer-like conditions well into October, and it's common for us to have heat spells in November and December as well (think Santa Ana wind conditions that often bring 90 degree temps). And our winters are mild with a bit of rain and some cool periods but no really big shifts. Our fall season is basically just an extension of summer, albeit with slightly cooler temps and shorter days, but again, no real shifts.

And this is great for many people who live in areas that get sub-zero temps and large amounts of snow and ice in winter and blazingly hot and humid conditions in the summer. But to me the weather and climate here in So. Cal is just plain boring.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,438,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Let's get this straight: SoCal is NOT warm all year round. Ditto for Northern Florida.
Parts of SoCal (San Bernardinio, Riverside) and Northern Florida (Panhandle) regularly see temps drop below 40 degrees (ok, that might be very mild compared to most other locations, but when it's raining and 40 degrees, the dampness makes it feel significantly colder. Both SoCal and Northern Florida receive alot of winter rain).

I actually like the "change of seasons" in inland California, where it's very hot and dry during the summer (most summers go by without a drop of rain). Winter rain is a welcome respite from that brutal heat. Also, I like sloshing around cold rain in rainboots.
Most of Southern California receives less than 15" of rain per year, so that's not really "a lot" of rain. You have to travel to Northern California to get significant rainfall (or travel to Big Bear or Idyllwild up in our local So. Cal mountains to get more rain [and snow, of course]).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or