U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times

Advertisements

Right about now (late July in NE Texas) I'm always jonesin' for a season change - LOL.

My brother, who lives in Ohio, is always ready for a season change in February. But both of us have to wait it out a couple more months. In February I'm sending him pictures of getting my flower beds ready and in July he's sending me pictures of his water gage! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 02:04 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I agree. I have lived in Southern California my whole life (I'm 43 now), and I've always wanted to relocate to a four-season area (not necessarily to a place that has any harsh seasons -- but just actual "seasons") because our seasonal shifts here in So. Cal are mild to say the least. In my opinion, summer here lasts too long; we have summer-like conditions well into October, and it's common for us to have heat spells in November and December as well (think Santa Ana wind conditions that often bring 90 degree temps). And our winters are mild with a bit of rain and some cool periods but no really big shifts. Our fall season is basically just an extension of summer, albeit with slightly cooler temps and shorter days, but again, no real shifts.

And this is great for many people who live in areas that get sub-zero temps and large amounts of snow and ice in winter and blazingly hot and humid conditions in the summer. But to me the weather and climate here in So. Cal is just plain boring.
I love me some California, but that weather could get boring for sure.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Saw a picture of someone's dashboard. 95 degrees at 3 am, somewhere in Texas.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Saw pictures of 22 tornadoes in Iowa a coupla days ago.

Saw pictures of flooding on the east coast this week.

Saw videos of high surf, along with rip tide warnings along the east coast today.

Saw a video of someone getting struck by lightning during a storm yesterday in Wisconsin.

Saw a video of severe storms and wind in the southeast yesterday.

Saw pictures and a map of wildfires in Colorado today.

Saw forecast for damaging hail in Florida today.

'Tis the season for severe weather in many regions and states.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL apparently "winter" is subjective - or maybe you mean technically it's only three months long (on paper, by the stars, whatever), but to some people, myself included, when it's 50 degrees outside it feels like winter and may as well be winter!

When I think 50 degrees I don't think winter, I think an autumn day with red maple leaves clinging on to branches. Just perfect.

Come to think of it, 50 degrees is normal for a Texas fall, too. The difference though is whether 50 is the high or low. In Texas, a high of 50 is most likely in January, and a low of 50 in October. (At least in the better half of Texas ) Here in Minnesota, a high of 50 is likely for October and a low of 50 for September.

But of course when considering the seasons you have to think of the place you are in. You'll never see a 32/15 degree day with snow in Miami in any season, you're more likely to see 71/54 over there in winter, but thats September weather here.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
No I mean it's 100% only three months.... November is still Fall and March is typically the beginning of Spring. Sure both months might have snow, but it almost never sticks around for longer than 1 day.

That's not Winter... when your average high is < 32 degrees, then you have winter.

I have the same view point as you. Maybe I'm a little anal, but I go strictly by calendar dates. Today feels like fall but its still August. Seasons are more than just weather patterns, they're also actual calendar dates. And of course the transitional months (and even weeks) will feel like the previous or next season. Obviously.

For example; the year 2000 still felt like it was in the '90s, but by all definition, it wasn't. March 1st will OBVIOUSLY still feel like February, but its still spring. In the same month, you're very likely to have days that will feel like April. We don't have winters that last until April, we just have springs that are prone to have snow last later than most places. Big difference, y'all!

You can tell when its spring in Minnesota even if there's half a foot of snow left, because the sun is way higher than it ever is in winter, and you see cleaner cars than you did 2 months prior. Plus the snow melts really quickly. I was astonished at how quickly the snowbanks on the parking lots went from mountains to nothing over the month of March and how quickly all that April snow melted, too.

August 5th will mark a full year since I've lived in MN. Watching the seasons change is such a treat here. I welcome the next fall, just hope its less frosty than the last!

Old 08-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with you, Kathryn. I spent some time in southern Michigan. March was NOT spring. There wasn't a leaf or bud anywhere for the entire month and the ponds were still frozen. In fact, it was still gray, leafless, and SNOWING on the first of April. I considered the whole month to be winter! Maybe Minnesota is significantly different, but I doubt it.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...if in only three months you are so tired of each season that you can't wait for the next one, then having "four seasons" is definitely overrated. I never get tired of clear, sunny, breezy days in the 60s and 70s. A little rain now and then is nice too.

I saw lilies sprouting up by March this year. March was very average here, it was the only average spring month. Yet we were warm enough to get lilies? You don't get lilies growing in Minnesota in the winter. Snow is not a solely winter event. Thats like saying October is a summer month because you can get a thunderstorm every now and then.

There were plenty of buds growing by late March, too. I take lots of instagram pictures, believe me, I capture this s**t

Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Where do you get that?

Right? It makes no sense. The appeal of seasons is to experience all 4 of them, not just one. I get sick of a season after 3 months because 3 months is as long as they're sposed to last. I got sick of summery weather in the south lasting longer than 3 months... how does that translate to "4 seasons being overrated"???

Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Right? It makes no sense. The appeal of seasons is to experience all 4 of them, not just one. I get sick of a season after 3 months because 3 months is as long as they're sposed to last. I got sick of summery weather in the south lasting longer than 3 months... how does that translate to "4 seasons being overrated"???
Pretty much. Though, I don't know if I would get sick of fall, ever. It's special in places with 4 seasons.

I think it was in this thread where someone posted the change of seasons dictated what we wear and eat. It's great.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 PM

21,334 posts, read 21,912,385 times
I wish there were 5 or 6 seasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or