U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 PM

329 posts, read 201,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That's the great thing about Texas. It can be 80 degrees in January. Splendid.

I remember going to school there. Every now and then there will be a cold front in October, knocking the temps down to the 50s or 60s for a few days. I'm thinking well I guess fall is coming early. 90 degrees a week later.

Used to be you could count on nice cool weather here about late September to mid October! Not so much the last few years. Pretty toasty well into Oct. Count me as one who hates 80 in January! Doesn't happen often, anyway, Thank gawd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Pretty toasty well into Oct. Count me as one who hates 80 in January! Doesn't happen often, anyway, Thank gawd!
Right, the last time it happened was 11 years ago here in the Tyler area.

And a few years before that, it got down to 9 degrees in January!

But the highs are usually in the 50s and the lows are usually in the 30s here.
Intellicast - Chandler Historic Weather Averages in Texas (75758)

Meanwhile, since we seem to be talking a lot about Denver CO also, the record high in Denver in January was 78 degrees back in 1982, and the record LOW in Denver in January was -21 (yes, that's a minus sign in front of the 21) in 1982.

So yeah, there's that. No thanks!

I guess we could live where my son lives - in Guam - where every single day all year long the high is in the 80s and the low is in the 70s but I wouldn't care for that personally.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:25 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wouldn't know - I'm enjoying a glass of wine in the AC. It's nice though to think of enjoying a glass of wine sitting on the patio in the evening from, oh, September through June. That's ten months out of twelve - not bad.

My favorite time of year to sit out on the patio in the evenings though is about November through April when we can get that fire going in that fire pit and watch TV outside. Sweet!
AC is a season in Texas, for sure. Heat index is already 92, start that fire pit!
Quote:
Still 90 here at 10PM! Who cares about heat index!! Barely gets below 80 in the early morning! I usually take a long trip out of state to escape the heat every summer but didn't do that this year. Hence, my moaning about the heat.
Hurry up October!!
Yeah, Texas can be all day hot. Buddy of mine sent me a pic that said it was 94 at 3 am a few weeks ago!

I moaned about the Austin heat for about ten years and I finally left. I miss Austin a lot, but don't miss the heat.

Quote:
Used to be you could count on nice cool weather here about late September to mid October! Not so much the last few years. Pretty toasty well into Oct. Count me as one who hates 80 in January! Doesn't happen often, anyway, Thank gawd!
Fall, for me should be highs in the 60's to maybe low 80s. Kind of weird drinking a pumpkin latte and looking for pumpkins while sweating in your shorts.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Fall, for me should be highs in the 60's to maybe low 80s. Kind of weird drinking a pumpkin latte and looking for pumpkins while sweating in your shorts.
That's been known to happen here in the Denver area as well. That, and looking for "the" pumpkin in the snow.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:27 PM

Of course Texas is an easy target for complaining about how hot it is in August. August is our hottest month and heck, I don't care for August in Texas either. But I will say this - that I'd rather deal with August in Texas than January - or any month - anywhere it snows or freezes over regularly.

To each his own! For the life of me, I don't understand why you, Gaylord Focker, seem so determined to point out how hot it is in Texas in the summertime (as if that's surprising to anyone) and be derisive about fire pits (which of course no one in their right mind would fire up this time of year anywhere in Texas, no matter how great they are for 9 or 10 months of the year) and anything else outdoor related - in August in Texas. Do you really think people don't know it's hotter than Hades here right now?

Maybe you're like one of those boys in junior high or elementary school - you know, the ones who act all snide and weird to a girl they like - I don't know. Maybe you actually do miss Texas and Texas weather a lot but keep trying to convince yourself that you don't. Maybe you think other people are "trapped" in Texas and you want to show how happy you are to have escaped (to South Carolina - wow, what an upgrade that is!). Who knows?

All I can tell you is that my husband and I could literally live anywhere in the world we want to live, and have actually explored other areas seriously, and we always come back to northeast Texas because we love it here. A longer hotter summer is definitely worth the fabulous winters and springs, and temperate falls that we enjoy here. As I've stated over and over again, to no avail with you (which is bemusing to me, but mildly entertaining), we live here because we love it here. No amount of strange "taunting" or sarcasm from some anonymous dude online is going to ever change that.

Have a great time in Clemson, SC. I used to live there myself, though I was glad to get back to Texas. I'm sure you'll find some interesting things to do there, even in January. Enjoy your 52 inches of rain a year too!

Old 08-24-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Of course Texas is an easy target for complaining about how hot it is in August. August is our hottest month and heck, I don't care for August in Texas either. But I will say this - that I'd rather deal with August in Texas than January - or any month - anywhere it snows or freezes over regularly.

To each his own! For the life of me, I don't understand why you, Gaylord Focker, seem so determined to point out how hot it is in Texas in the summertime (as if that's surprising to anyone) and be derisive about fire pits (which of course no one in their right mind would fire up this time of year anywhere in Texas, no matter how great they are for 9 or 10 months of the year) and anything else outdoor related - in August in Texas. Do you really think people don't know it's hotter than Hades here right now?

Maybe you're like one of those boys in junior high or elementary school - you know, the ones who act all snide and weird to a girl they like - I don't know. Maybe you actually do miss Texas and Texas weather a lot but keep trying to convince yourself that you don't. Maybe you think other people are "trapped" in Texas and you want to show how happy you are to have escaped (to South Carolina - wow, what an upgrade that is!). Who knows?

All I can tell you is that my husband and I could literally live anywhere in the world we want to live, and have actually explored other areas seriously, and we always come back to northeast Texas because we love it here. A longer hotter summer is definitely worth the fabulous winters and springs, and temperate falls that we enjoy here. As I've stated over and over again, to no avail with you (which is bemusing to me, but mildly entertaining), we live here because we love it here. No amount of strange "taunting" or sarcasm from some anonymous dude online is going to ever change that.

Have a great time in Clemson, SC. I used to live there myself, though I was glad to get back to Texas. I'm sure you'll find some interesting things to do there, even in January. Enjoy your 52 inches of rain a year too!
Why are you coming after South Carolina now? Some good people here. Salt of the earth, reminds me of Texas. Do not attack my adopted hometown and home state.

Look, a few people have messaged me and said you're a great poster, person and an asset to the board and that I should stop aggravating you. I said you weren't upset, but they've said they think your temperature is rising.

So, no more Texas weather maps from me. Fair?

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 08-24-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Why are you coming after South Carolina now? Some good people here. Salt of the earth, reminds me of Texas. Do not attack my adopted hometown and home state.

Look, a few people have messaged me and said you're a great poster, person and an asset to the board and that I should stop aggravating you. I said you weren't upset, but they've said they think your temperature is rising.

So, no more Texas weather maps from me. Fair?
I'm not "coming after" South Carolina's people or whatever - all I'm saying is that it's ironic that, from South Carolina, you just keep on and on about how hot it is in Texas. Yes, there are some differences but overall - having lived (ironically) in both Tyler and Clemson (as you have), I can say with some assurance that I don't consider SC to be any sort of upgrade. Maybe you do - in fact, I hope you do, because I like for people to love where they live as much as I do.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not "coming after" South Carolina's people or whatever - all I'm saying is that it's ironic that, from South Carolina, you just keep on and on about how hot it is in Texas. Yes, there are some differences but overall - having lived (ironically) in both Tyler and Clemson (as you have), I can say with some assurance that I don't consider SC to be any sort of upgrade. Maybe you do - in fact, I hope you do, because I like for people to love where they live as much as I do.
Bless your heart, I have not said any place is an upgrade over another. NYC may be great for some, but not for others. This was a weather thread, me commenting on weather is not an indictment of Texas.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:40 PM

222 posts, read 95,374 times
Quote:
Just got back home in Austin from visiting my father in Montgomery, AL. I'm so glad it's not humid like AL. Texas doesn't get cooler at nights that much, but love me low humidity now. The humitiy alone drives me nuts. I know East Texas (where you are) can get humid, though.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Just got back home in Austin from visiting my father in Montgomery, AL. I'm so glad it's not humid like AL. Texas doesn't get cooler at nights that much, but love me low humidity now. The humitiy alone drives me nuts. I know East Texas (where you are) can get humid, though.
Yes it can but generally speaking east Texas humidity doesn't get to me much - I have spent many decades of my life living up and down the East Coast and THAT is a humid region!

And don't even get me started on New Orleans humidity, even though I love that city! Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or