U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 03:03 PM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
did you even read a single word of pines post? lol.
Yes, I read the whole thing and responded in detail to it. Reading comprehension is not a problem for me. Is it for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 03:09 PM

97 posts, read 32,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Reading comprehension is not a problem for me.
its definitely a problem for you. or else you would not have responded the way you did to pine.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Pine was comparing Philly to Houston. I haven't lived in either city, or even particularly near either city. Then Pine began talking as if NE Texas was like Houston - which it's not, being hours north and inland from Houston. Then Pine began comparing Tyler to Philly and quoting a site that stated that 50 percent humidity is "miserable." That's a subjective opinion as opposed to a fact - I don't find it miserable at all. Pine also stated that perhaps my memories of living in the northeast were faded by time and I responded with the fact (not subjective opinion) that I've never lived in the northeast - that the furthest northeast I have lived is in fact on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland - a decidedly humid place.

I also stated that comparing Houston to Tyler is about like comparing Philadelphia to Oneonta, NY. Sure, go ahead and compare Philly and Houston - knock yourself out - they're markedly different and it boils down to personal preference when it comes to humidity levels. But alongside that, I just wanted to make it clear that humidity levels in NE Texas are markedly different from those in the Houston area (which I personally don't care for but so what - I don't live there). People often tend to forget just how huge Texas is and how many different weather patterns and terrains exist within this very large state.

Apparently Pine has lived in Philly and in Houston, but not in Tyler - and that's OK. I haven't lived in either Philly or Houston but I do know what high humidity is like, having lived in New Orleans, Virginia Beach, and Aberdeen MD - all places that are much more humid than Tyler, Texas.

Hope that's clear to you - I wasn't having any trouble keeping up but maybe others were, who knows?

Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
its definitely a problem for you. or else you would not have responded the way you did to pine.
See above post. And by the way, when a person begins resorting to personal insults, it's a pretty clear indication that they've run out of more pertinent information to add to the conversation.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 PM

396 posts, read 136,527 times
Quote:
Then Pine began comparing Tyler to Philly and quoting a site that stated that 50 percent humidity is "miserable."
It wasn't saying that at all. That chart only took the dew point into account and it was measuring the rate at which each city sees dew points over 65 (which is generally considered uncomfortable for most people).

Houston will have higher average dew points than Tyler which will have higher averages than Philly etc. Coastal areas will generally have higher levels of relative humidity than inland areas.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:02 PM

6,850 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
I was wondering that myself. It seems at least you and another poster are following my posts.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
. . . when a person begins resorting to personal insults, it's a pretty clear indication that they've run out of more pertinent information to add to the conversation.
Pot, meet Kettle:
Quote:
Reading comprehension is not a problem for me. Is it for you?

Old 09-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I never lived in Philly, or anywhere in PA for that matter. I lived in Virginia Beach, and in Aberdeen, MD - right on the coast of the Chesapeake Bay, as well as near the NC and SC coasts.
Then why did you say this:
Quote:
I have spent many decades of my life living up and down the East Coast and THAT is a humid region!
It turns out you haven't lived up and down the east coast - only in the Tidewater. In fact, you've never lived above the Mason-Dixon Line.

Quote:
But since I was comparing HOUSTON TX to NE (Yes, Tyler) TX - using your site, here's the difference - yep, it's definitely muggier and rainier in Houston than it is in Tyler - not that I didn't already know that.
I moved on from Houston, but since you raised it again, let's take a look. When I compare Houston to Tyler using the tool, outside of summer rain totals they don't appear to have terribly different weather patterns from one another: https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/9...er-and-Houston. Looking closely at one measure in particular, when it comes to the "mugginess" measurement halfway down the chart, Houston has just one extra month with a chance of 50% or better hot, sticky weather (5+ months in Houston v 4+ months in Tyler):

By any measure, Philly compares much more favorably to either Texas city for those who hate hot, muggy weather. Like me.

As you repetitively post, we all have different preferences. Isn't that great?

Old 09-08-2018, 08:32 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Pot, meet Kettle:
Bless your heart. You need some sweet tea and a fireplace. Thing is, when it's 98 in Texas, it feels like 84 in the shade. Almost jacket weather!!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:39 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
All y'all bickering about humidity in east Texas and I'm just here, enjoying my lack of humidity and low 60s in the Midwest Had me a beer and a mini-fire after work tonight. Lovely. I can't wait til the leaves start changing in about a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or