U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 09:52 PM

45,225 posts, read 36,432,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
It wasn't saying that at all. That chart only took the dew point into account and it was measuring the rate at which each city sees dew points over 65 (which is generally considered uncomfortable for most people).

Houston will have higher average dew points than Tyler which will have higher averages than Philly etc. Coastal areas will generally have higher levels of relative humidity than inland areas.
Direct quote from the post in question, regarding the chart in the link:
Quote:
About half-way down is a particularly interesting graph comparing each city’s chance of muggy conditions defined as ”the percentage of time that is muggy, oppressive, or miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 PM

4,894 posts, read 3,021,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Then why did you say this:

It turns out you haven't lived up and down the east coast - only in the Tidewater. In fact, you've never lived above the Mason-Dixon Line.

I moved on from Houston, but since you raised it again, let's take a look. When I compare Houston to Tyler using the tool, outside of summer rain totals they don't appear to have terribly different weather patterns from one another: https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/9...er-and-Houston. Looking closely at one measure in particular, when it comes to the "mugginess" measurement halfway down the chart, Houston has just one extra month with a chance of 50% or better hot, sticky weather (5+ months in Houston v 4+ months in Tyler):

By any measure, Philly compares much more favorably to either Texas city for those who hate hot, muggy weather. Like me.

As you repetitively post, we all have different preferences. Isn't that great?
Oh looks like she's lived more in the south than the east coast.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Then why did you say this:

It turns out you haven't lived up and down the east coast - only in the Tidewater. In fact, you've never lived above the Mason-Dixon Line.

I moved on from Houston, but since you raised it again, let's take a look. When I compare Houston to Tyler using the tool, outside of summer rain totals they don't appear to have terribly different weather patterns from one another: https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/9...er-and-Houston. Looking closely at one measure in particular, when it comes to the "mugginess" measurement halfway down the chart, Houston has just one extra month with a chance of 50% or better hot, sticky weather (5+ months in Houston v 4+ months in Tyler):

By any measure, Philly compares much more favorably to either Texas city for those who hate hot, muggy weather. Like me.

As you repetitively post, we all have different preferences. Isn't that great?
Actually I've lived above the Mason Dixon line - just not on the coast. I've also lived in MD, VA, NC, SC, and GA - which would be pretty much "up and down the east coast" to some people. And I've traveled up and down the east coast, for business and pleasure, much of my life.

As for comparing Houston to Tyler, using your link, I did compare the two and they're different enough to make a considerable difference in overall experience. Houston is muggier than Tyler and has considerably more rain and overcast days than Tyler. Now, of course they're both southern cities but one is directly on the coast and the other is pretty far inland and north - it makes a significant difference. Whether you accept that or not is really just personal opinion.

I'm glad you like living in Philly. I've been there many times and personally don't care for it, or for that amount of cold weather in general, since I prefer milder winters, but like you and I both say, it's great that we have different preferences.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
All y'all bickering about humidity in east Texas and I'm just here, enjoying my lack of humidity and low 60s in the Midwest Had me a beer and a mini-fire after work tonight. Lovely. I can't wait til the leaves start changing in about a month.
Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the return of porch sitting weather! Life is grand, isn't it? I had a glass of wine sitting out on my patio this evening, enjoying the thunder in the distance and a cool, pleasant breeze.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Oh looks like she's lived more in the south than the east coast.
Let's see - I've lived in (in order):

Louisiana
Texas
California
Tennessee
Japan
Ohio
Virginia
North Carolina
Alabama
Georgia
Maryland
Texas again
South Carolina
Maryland again
Germany
Texas again

Good grief, I've probably left one or two states out but oh well.

My husband worked in PA and OH and WV for many years and though I didn't live up there, I spent a lot of time every year up there, in every season.

I have also spent a lot of time in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arkansas over the years due to family and friends living there.

I've traveled for business and pleasure to many other states and countries.

If you check an atlas, you will see that I've lived in five states along the east coast by the way. But I have never claimed to be anything other than a southerner through and through - and happy to be classified as such!

Old 09-08-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let's see - I've lived in (in order):

Louisiana
Texas
California
Tennessee
Japan
Ohio
Virginia
North Carolina
Alabama
Georgia
Maryland
Texas again
South Carolina
Maryland again
Germany
Texas again

Good grief, I've probably left one or two states out but oh well.

My husband worked in PA and OH and WV for many years and though I didn't live up there, I spent a lot of time every year up there, in every season.

I have also spent a lot of time in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arkansas over the years due to family and friends living there.

I've traveled for business and pleasure to many other states and countries.

If you check an atlas, you will see that I've lived in five states along the east coast by the way. But I have never claimed to be anything other than a southerner through and through - and happy to be classified as such!
So it looks like you haven't lived in the northern states, other than Ohio. I thought you had lived in Philly as you speak about the northeast humidity as if you've actually experienced it.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the return of porch sitting weather! Life is grand, isn't it? I had a glass of wine sitting out on my patio this evening, enjoying the thunder in the distance and a cool, pleasant breeze.
It's been porch sitting weather in other parts of the country as well.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
So it looks like you haven't lived in the northern states, other than Ohio. I thought you had lived in Philly as you speak about the northeast humidity as if you've actually experienced it.
I have experienced it on numerous occasions as I said. I've spent a lot of time in PA, including in Philly. Remember - my husband worked up there for over 7 years. I've been to PA more times than I even care to remember. Beautiful fall. Rough, long winter. Humid summer but not as hot as down here. Wet spring. Nice place to visit most of the time but as you can tell, we didn't care for it enough to actually move there even though my husband was working up there literally half of every month. But that's OK - there are plenty of people - enough to go around!

Old 09-09-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
It's been porch sitting weather in other parts of the country as well.
Yay for all of us! Love me some porch sitting weather!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 AM

397 posts, read 139,775 times
Quote:
Direct quote from the post in question, regarding the chart in the link:
Right...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or