U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 02:04 PM

44,989 posts, read 36,253,688 times

Advertisements

[quote=Tams here;53036993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that right now, in NE Texas, outside it's 91 percent humidity with a dew point of 69 degrees and it feels great to me. Not "oppressive," and certainly not "miserable." And yet according to that oh so scientific chart, I should be miserable out there.

I'm not some weird outlier - it's just not miserable outside to me. I guess it might be to someone else, but the term is clearly subjective.

It's really not so different up in the NE, like Philly, for short periods of time or waves, like Pine noted. You said earlier it was SO humid up and down the East coast but 91 percent humidity and 69 degree dewpoint feels great?
Sure - it IS often humid up and down the east coast but so what? I like humidity. I never said it bothered me.

Here's how you use the quote function by the way:

Quote:
It's really not so different up in the NE, like Philly, for short periods of time or waves, like Pine noted. You said earlier it was SO humid up and down the East coast but 91 percent humidity and 69 degree dewpoint feels great?
See above answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Agreed. Change of season and having more than 2 distinct seasons truly is underrated IMHO as well.
I live in Texas and have no complaints whatsoever, well except perhaps the seasons. There really are only 2 here, or at least in the big urban areas of Houston, SA, Austin and Dallas, I left El Paso out because I have not been there.
Come on, you know there are four seasons here: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas!

Actually here in NE Texas there are four seasons but they're not evenly spaced (nor are they in many other regions of the US). We have a fabulous spring from about February through May, then summer from June through September, then fall but though we do get fall color we get it very late in the season, like November, then a very short mild winter, typically from the end of December through the first week or two of February. So like I said, while we get four seasons, they're not each three months long - and summers tend to be long and hot.

That being said, I saw some actual fall color on some leaves today, right here in NE Texas! And the highs for the next few days are supposed to be in the 70s - so yeah, I'm already wearing a sweatshirt. The minute the temps get down into the 50s, I'm breaking out the ankle boots and a scarf!

Here are some pictures from my yard this afternoon - the first microelements of fall in NE Texas. Turning cedar trees, red leaves just starting to peek out, leaves on the GROUND for pete's sake (sorry, they're just brown oak leaves but hey, they've fallen to the ground in preparation for, well, fall), and my fall wreath on my front door. But I've never pretended that fall in NE Texas is anywhere near as spectacular as it is in regions further north with more deciduous trees, because it's certainly not. But we do have more color than some people realize. Just really, really late in the season for sure. Like...around Thanksgiving, when some people are getting their first snowfalls. It's really common for me to still be raking leaves in December.

Happy Fall, Y'all!
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-cedar-turning-sept-2018.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-leaves-turning-sept-2018.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-leaves-ground-sept-2018.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-happy-fall-yall-sept-2018.jpg  

Old 09-09-2018, 02:32 PM

1,900 posts, read 832,580 times
Quote:
Come on, you know there are four seasons here: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas!

LOL. I don't think I have ever seen someone summarize the seasons in Texas so succinctly.

For the more serious parts of your post, I will have to disagree. There are no 4 seasons in Texas IMHO. There are 2 or like you said "Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas".

Old 09-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
LOL. I don't think I have ever seen someone summarize the seasons in Texas so succinctly.

For the more serious parts of your post, I will have to disagree. There are no 4 seasons in Texas IMHO. There are 2 or like you said "Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas".
OK. Texas is a big state. Here in NE Texas we have ice and snow, albeit not a lot, every winter. We have lots of rain in the spring. We have searing hot summer days. We have nippy fall days and fall color. We just don't have three months of each prototype. But we get a little of three and a lot of one!

Actually I love the mild winters - I just wish we had a longer, cooler fall.

Now - my son in Guam truly gets one season - well, actually two because there's half the year where it's rainier, but the temps are always the same - highs in the 80s, lows in the 70s - maybe a dip into the upper 60s when a "cold front" moves in. Hey, did you know he's about to get gobsmacked by a typhoon? For real. So I guess there's "typhoon season." And "non typhoon season." But 80s at Christmas? Mele kelekimaka!

Old 09-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Really? Which of these states are above the MDL?
Though Ohio isn't due north of the Mason Dixon line, where I lived in Ohio is north (west) of the Mason Dixon Line and Ohio was also a Union state. So it is "above the Mason Dixon line" geographically as well as culturally.

Quote:
In popular usage, the Mason–Dixon line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the North and the South (Dixie).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason%E2%80%93Dixon_line

Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 PM

1,900 posts, read 832,580 times
Quote:
OK. Texas is a big state. Here in NE Texas we have ice and snow, albeit not a lot, every winter. We have lots of rain in the spring. We have searing hot summer days. We have nippy fall days and fall color. We just don't have three months of each prototype. But we get a little of three and a lot of one!

Actually I love the mild winters - I just wish we had a longer, cooler fall.

Now - my son in Guam truly gets one season - well, actually two because there's half the year where it's rainier, but the temps are always the same - highs in the 80s, lows in the 70s - maybe a dip into the upper 60s when a "cold front" moves in. Hey, did you know he's about to get gobsmacked by a typhoon? For real. So I guess there's "typhoon season." And "non typhoon season." But 80s at Christmas? Mele kelekimaka!

I agree, with Texas being a huge state and I have by no means seen every corner of it, let alone experienced a full year or visited it during every "season" of the year. But to be fair I did state I primarily am talking about SA, Austin, Houston and DFW. Now I can't imagine out west in El Paso being much different. For NE Texas, if you feel it has 4 seasons, then fair enough, I never been there.

So all in all let me rephrase my second post then;

'From all the places I have seen in Texas, there was not one that remotely represented something one could call 4 seasons in the sense I would define them and are used to'.

Last edited by MustermannBB; 09-09-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 03:15 PM

390 posts, read 232,135 times
Looking forward to autumn. Cool crisp sunshine. One of my favorite seasons of the year.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I agree, with Texas being a huge state and I have by no means seen every corner of it, let alone experienced a full year or visited it during every "season" of the year. But to be fair I did state I primarily am talking about SA, Austin, Houston and DFW. Now I can't imagine out west in El Paso being much different. For NE Texas, if you feel it has 4 seasons, then fair enough, I never been there.

So all in all let me rephrase my second post then;

'From all the paces I have seen in Texas, there was not one that remotely represented something one could call 4 seasons in the sense I would define them and are used to'.
Well, alrighty. I agree that there aren't four evenly spaced seasons, even in NE Texas. But we do have a bit of snow, a bit more ice, flurries several times over the winter, below freezing temps and frost off and on, through December, January, sometimes February and occasionally even into March (though that's really rare). We have a gorgeous, flamboyant spring with balmy temperatures, lots of rain and wind, interspersed with brilliant sunshine - and tons of wildflowers starting in March generally, through early June. We then have a long, hot, dry summer typically - from June through September, though June and September (either end) both have some very pleasant temperatures during the day and the night occasionally (for instance, this week's highs here are forecast to be in the 70s and 80s, with the lows in the 60s - personally I love that range this time of year). October tends to be cooler, but not COOL - just not usually HOT. November tends to be very nice and we get the occasional cold front in November that really drops the temps down. December tends to be pleasantly chilly and sunny. January tends to be cold, wet, icy, and definitely hot tea season! And then we're back to February, where it's a crap shoot - could be warm enough for a t shirt one day, and then we could have an ice storm a few days later, who knows?

Ice, rain, heat, and fall leaves - to me those define four seasons and we do get those here.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the return of porch sitting weather! Life is grand, isn't it? I had a glass of wine sitting out on my patio this evening, enjoying the thunder in the distance and a cool, pleasant breeze.
I think almost any weather is porch sitting weather, though. Even in the 100s. Porch sitting is easy. Its moving around in that weather that's miserable lol. Mosquitoes are a bigger issue to me than the temperature.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually, I was just thinking this the other day. Far from being overrated like you said, I would say that the change of seasons is UNDERRATED.

Here in the Northeast people sometimes leave because of the cost of living and generally move south. I am now thinking that people should also consider parts of the Midwest. Perhaps states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Missouri and Iowa.
Please don't encourage more New Jerseyans to move here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or