U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 04:42 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,000,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
It is not uncommon for the Mountain West to get snow before and after the Upper Midwest. My father has already gotten snow 2-3 time in Gillette, WY and we haven't even gotten snow yet in downtown Duluth. Lake Superior keeps us warmer heading into winter than the inland parts of the state. The elevation really influences the weather patterns. Duluth almost never gets snow in June, and I have seen it more than once in Colorado and Wyoming.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 05:52 PM

45,077 posts, read 36,285,285 times
Temps are dropping like crazy outside on the other side of that first (of several apparently) cold front for this week. The low tonight is supposed to be in the low sixties, but in the low fifties tomorrow night. Bring it! Highs next week in the 60s - that's what I'm talking about for fall!

Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM

722 posts, read 511,836 times
I believe I posted here before but I’m surprised by what some posters think 4 real seasons are. For me 4 seasons means 4 very different types of weather patterns that lasts for more than a few days. Living in New Mexico for 40 years I can say I don’t think it has 4 distinct seasons because frankly, winter is underwhelming. I don’t really consider it winter unless a region has some good snowfalls of at least a few inches. Flurries don’t count in my book as “ distinctly winter” and neither does just cold temps. Likewise, one week or so of fall leaves isn’t really “distinctly fall” to me either. Now I live just north of Colorado Springs at 7300 feet. While I love where I live and I could talk forever about how great of a place I picked to call home, we do not have 4 true seasons here. We have winter, a tiny spring (that gets overrun by winter most years), summer, and basically 2-4 days of fall. So we have winter and summer, lol. I would love more variety but it is what it is. I’m not sure how many places have 4 very specific designated seasons like the hallmark channel depicts. I guess now I’ll go onto my deck with a glass of wine and enjoy the pine trees as this thread seems to have gone from its original topic to, “why it’s so awesome to live where I do”.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:32 AM

95 posts, read 26,701 times
I don't really understand why people think that four seasons are so great. I love being outside in the cooler season with nothing more than a light jacket. I hate being cooped up indoors when it is so cold that lakes start freezing. It gives me cabin fever. I also hate shovelling snow. The best climate in the US in definitely coastal areas of southern California.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 AM

898 posts, read 446,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not in Kansas any more View Post
I don't really understand why people think that four seasons are so great. I love being outside in the cooler season with nothing more than a light jacket. I hate being cooped up indoors when it is so cold that lakes start freezing. It gives me cabin fever. I also hate shovelling snow. The best climate in the US in definitely coastal areas of southern California.

When you examine the debate, it boils down to the fact people have different likes and dislikes. No one is going to dispute that coast southern California has a remarkably mild, warm, and sunny climate nearly year round. For a ton of people, that is desirable and good. For others, it is not. It is due to no defect, just preference. I moved from Huntington Beach, CA partially due to weather. I am one of those weirdos that doesn't care for a mild, warm, and sunny climate. I literally love wintertime...in Duluth, MN of all places. I am outside living life and not cooped up indoors.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Quote:
I just drove on some pretty crappy roads in Denver. It was a mess. SoCal sounds great. That being said, Denver is a very outdoorsy city.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:47 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
Quote:

When those lakes start freezing I start getting my ice skates. I love being out in the snow and ice in the winter. I live in Minnesnowta. We are a lot like Canada, and embrace winter sports here.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 PM

1,900 posts, read 833,399 times
I also don't understand why so many people are afraid of cold weather and snow. I'll real 4 seasons over these 2 seasons every time.
In the wintertime when the days are shorter and it gets dark at around 6pm, you can't beat looking outside into the winter wonder land. Or put some proper clothes on and go outside, have a walk, get a hot chocolate, tea or some brandy and relax by your heat source.

During the day, go sledding, ice skating or just enjoy the cold brisk air.

I do admit however, if one does not have covered parking it is a pain defrosting your car in the early morning.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustermannbb View Post
i also don't understand why so many people are afraid of cold weather and snow. I'll real 4 seasons over these 2 seasons every time.
In the wintertime when the days are shorter and it gets dark at around 6pm, you can't beat looking outside into the winter wonder land. Or put some proper clothes on and go outside, have a walk, get a hot chocolate, tea or some brandy and relax by your heat source.

i do admit however, if one does not have covered parking it is a pain defrosting your car in the early morning.

Try parking your car on an asphalt lot in 95 degree heat for half an hour while shopping, then returning with your ice cream and other groceries.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,448,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I also don't understand why so many people are afraid of cold weather and snow. I'll real 4 seasons over these 2 seasons every time.

I do admit however, if one does not have covered parking it is a pain defrosting your car in the early morning.
I don't enjoy driving on steep frozen roads, trying to walk on ice without slipping down, shoveling the sidewalk and driveway, snow and ice melting into a mud pile in the garage, my nose running every time I'm outside, high heating bills, putting on outside gear, etc. I like winter but only about for 2 weeks, the rest, you can have it.

I also don't like hot and humid....San Diego climate would suit me just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or