U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2018, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,836 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63489

Advertisements

I'm glad that so many of us are happy where we live. I've lived in lots of different types of climates and in my opinion, just about every place has it's upside, and it's downside.

The place I lived in with the most evenly spaced four seasons was Maryland. Falls were GORGEOUS, summers nice and hot but perfect for the many beaches, spring was rainy but greened up really nicely, and winters were icy, snowy at times, but not too long. And even then - there were hurricanes and nor'easters and all that fun. And occasionally snow in April or something crazy like that. And a few incredibly hot humid days each year too.

The average highs in NE Texas in the winter are in the 50s, and lows in the 30s but we do get some icy days and even about an inch or so of snow each year. Especially in January, we have some heavy frost some mornings. So far this year we've already had about 5 freezes in the twenties, and a few snow flurries. I like the crisp weather and I even like dark, wet, cold January - because it's only a month long. By February I can sometimes wear shorts or go without a jacket, but I always have to remind myself DON'T PLANT ANYTHING because there's going to be at least one more cold snap, and we can even get a cold front coming through as late as the end of March, though a freeze in March is rare.

Other than the short, dark, often wet or even icy days in January, most of our winter weather is crisp with lots of sunshine. I absolutely LOVE that. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT and I remind myself of this when it's 95 degrees outside in the summertime.

I've lived in climates where it is cold and snowy for at least four months - I lived in Germany for three years and got plenty of snow, rain, ice, etc. I remember very distinctly that with four school aged kids, we truly needed a foyer that doubled as a mud room, with all the coats, hats, scarves, mittens and boots. It was an ordeal just getting in and out of all that gear to go outside. Now don't get me wrong - no one does Christmas quite as well as Germans in my opinion and it was very picturesque and Christmassy to go to a Kristkindlmarkt in December with snow falling and crunching underfoot, ice crystals hanging in the air, all that. But believe me the novelty had worn off by my first March in that climate (not to mention my third March). I remember volksmarching in April and leaving the house with a light jacket on and while we were hiking, it started snowing! No thanks! Also, the ground simply never warmed up. Never. If I went outside in July, I had to remind myself, "Don't sit on the ground because you will literally freeze your arse off."

I guess I'm just a southern girl at heart. Heat doesn't even register with me until it gets over 95 degrees and frankly, neither does high humidity. The one thing that does register with me as unpleasant is if there's no breeze and it's hot, humid and still. But thankfully most days aren't like that.

The weather here for Thanksgiving week was crisp, with chilly nights in the 30s and 40s. We've had that fire pit roaring nearly every night. I don't enjoy it as much when it's freezing cold but when the night time temps are in the 40s and 50s and that fire pit is blazing and I have my husband, my dogs, and a glass of wine I feel like I'm in heaven! Basically for me a day isn't a full day if it doesn't include what we call "porch sitting" every evening. My tolerance level for sitting out on the patio for at least an hour is anywhere between 40 and 80 degrees and I get that nearly every single evening here all year long, so to me that's perfect.

We had tons of fall color this year too. I snapped a few photos around my yard and neighborhood. Don't let anyone tell you that Texas doesn't have fall colors!
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-water-feature-leaves-fall-2018.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-fall-colors-up-street-fall-2018.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-fall-leaves-backyard-fall-2018.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-fire-pit-2018.jpg  

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-28-2018 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2018, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm glad that so many of us are happy where we live. I've lived in lots of different types of climates and in my opinion, just about every place has it's upside, and it's downside.

The place I lived in with the most evenly spaced four seasons was Maryland. Falls were GORGEOUS, summers nice and hot but perfect for the many beaches, spring was rainy but greened up really nicely, and winters were icy, snowy at times, but not too long. And even then - there were hurricanes and nor'easters and all that fun. And occasionally snow in April or something crazy like that. And a few incredibly hot humid days each year too.

The average highs in NE Texas in the winter are in the 50s, and lows in the 30s but we do get some icy days and even about an inch or so of snow each year. Especially in January, we have some heavy frost some mornings. So far this year we've already had about 5 freezes in the twenties, and a few snow flurries. I like the crisp weather and I even like dark, wet, cold January - because it's only a month long. By February I can sometimes wear shorts or go without a jacket, but I always have to remind myself DON'T PLANT ANYTHING because there's going to be at least one more cold snap, and we can even get a cold front coming through as late as the end of March, though a freeze in March is rare.

Other than the short, dark, often wet or even icy days in January, most of our winter weather is crisp with lots of sunshine. I absolutely LOVE that. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT and I remind myself of this when it's 95 degrees outside in the summertime.

I've lived in climates where it is cold and snowy for at least four months - I lived in Germany for three years and got plenty of snow, rain, ice, etc. I remember very distinctly that with four school aged kids, we truly needed a foyer that doubled as a mud room, with all the coats, hats, scarves, mittens and boots. It was an ordeal just getting in and out of all that gear to go outside. Now don't get me wrong - no one does Christmas quite as well as Germans in my opinion and it was very picturesque and Christmassy to go to a Kristkindlmarkt in December with snow falling and crunching underfoot, ice crystals hanging in the air, all that. But believe me the novelty had worn off by my first March in that climate (not to mention my third March). I remember volksmarching in April and leaving the house with a light jacket on and while we were hiking, it started snowing! No thanks! Also, the ground simply never warmed up. Never. If I went outside in July, I had to remind myself, "Don't sit on the ground because you will literally freeze your arse off."

I guess I'm just a southern girl at heart. Heat doesn't even register with me until it gets over 95 degrees and frankly, neither does high humidity. The one thing that does register with me as unpleasant is if there's no breeze and it's hot, humid and still. But thankfully most days aren't like that.

The weather here for Thanksgiving week was crisp, with chilly nights in the 30s and 40s. We've had that fire pit roaring nearly every night. I don't enjoy it as much when it's freezing cold but when the night time temps are in the 40s and 50s and that fire pit is blazing and I have my husband, my dogs, and a glass of wine I feel like I'm in heaven! Basically for me a day isn't a full day if it doesn't include what we call "porch sitting" every evening. My tolerance level for sitting out on the patio for at least an hour is anywhere between 40 and 80 degrees and I get that nearly every single evening here all year long, so to me that's perfect.

We had tons of fall color this year too. I snapped a few photos around my yard and neighborhood. Don't let anyone tell you that Texas doesn't have fall colors!

I'm looking to move to a studio apartment next late spring or early summer, because I'm sick of having roommates and ready to have more privacy with me and my partner. The one thing I'll miss is having a backyard firepit. I'm not meant for apartment living lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbobrah View Post
Change of seasons isn't overrated, but the New England fall foliage narrative is.

It's not the only place with fall foliage, so shut the **** up about it.



It does have the prettiest, won't deny that, but not the only place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon (in Transition)
887 posts, read 442,013 times
Reputation: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It does have the prettiest, won't deny that, but not the only place.
They say that, but I feel like it is just as pretty up here in Duluth during fall foliage season as the pictures your see of New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 05:03 PM
 
1,900 posts, read 830,551 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I don't enjoy driving on steep frozen roads, trying to walk on ice without slipping down, shoveling the sidewalk and driveway, snow and ice melting into a mud pile in the garage, my nose running every time I'm outside, high heating bills, putting on outside gear, etc. I like winter but only about for 2 weeks, the rest, you can have it.


I also don't like hot and humid....San Diego climate would suit me just fine.

I have no issue driving on snow, also roads can be cleared. I also have no issue walking on snow.
Snow never got into my garage and whether I'm paying heating in the winter or cooling in the summer I will pay utilities.
I wish I could have it, sadly Texas does not really do winter, at least in the part where I'm at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,836 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I have no issue driving on snow, also roads can be cleared. I also have no issue walking on snow.
Snow never got into my garage and whether I'm paying heating in the winter or cooling in the summer I will pay utilities.
I wish I could have it, sadly Texas does not really do winter, at least in the part where I'm at.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 07:12 PM
 
1,900 posts, read 830,551 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Because it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,187 posts, read 1,444,420 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I have no issue driving on snow, also roads can be cleared. I also have no issue walking on snow.
Snow never got into my garage and whether I'm paying heating in the winter or cooling in the summer I will pay utilities.
I wish I could have it, sadly Texas does not really do winter, at least in the part where I'm at.
I've lived and worked where it got lots of snow and I can deal with it but I just get tired of the snow after a couple of weeks of it....my preference is a climate like San Diego or Santa Barbara....it's just very expensive to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,836 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63489
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I've lived and worked where it got lots of snow and I can deal with it but I just get tired of the snow after a couple of weeks of it....my preference is a climate like San Diego or Santa Barbara....it's just very expensive to live there.
Oh my gosh, me too. In fact, I prefer that it's a light snow and that it's gone in a day or two! Like once or twice a year! Enough time to take a few pictures of it and then let's move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 07:23 AM
 
2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Reputation: 1830
I love it! Although it's very specific to the Mid-Atlantic type of four seasons... I like a brief cold snap that will bring some snowstorms and the sun shines again the next day and melts the snow away instead of it just refreezing and lingering for weeks. I do not enjoy 4 seasons where Winter is extreme like Minnesota, Upstate NY or even Chicago.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-29-2018 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top