Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

My son lives in Guam. Every day, the high is in the 80s. Every night, the low is in the 60s. Every. Single. Day. And. Every. Single. Night.

Guam is an island paradise with trade winds, great beaches, fabulous snorkeling and diving opportunities, delicious food options...but my son misses the weather changes and seasons of his home in Texas and every time we talk he wants a weather update. I understand missing the variations of the seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How we measure things in life is almost always via contrast. If there was no contrast in life, you would not like or dislike anything. Contrast gives life "flavor" and the consequence is that sometime the flavor is bitter and sometimes its sweet but if everything was sweet then nothing would be sweet and if everything was bitter then nothing would be bitter because everything is relative.

That having been said, contrasting seasons gives life more "flavor". I am not a big fan of winter/bitter but it makes summer taste that much sweeter.
I really agree with a lot of this. I was in Denver for work a couple of weeks ago, and man, it was cold. But, I love anticipating the changes in weather. "It might snow tomorrow" sounds a lot more exciting than "hey looks like it'll be 82 tomorrow."

Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
How we measure things in life is almost always via contrast. If there was no contrast in life, you would not like or dislike anything. Contrast gives life "flavor" and the consequence is that sometime the flavor is bitter and sometimes its sweet but if everything was sweet then nothing would be sweet and if everything was bitter then nothing would be bitter because everything is relative.

That having been said, contrasting seasons gives life more "flavor". I am not a big fan of winter/bitter but it makes summer taste that much sweeter.
I'm not a big fan of this philosophy. It may apply to food, but it doesn't necessarily apply to weather. I don't enjoy mild, sunny weather because it stands out as better than cold, rainy/snowy weather; I like mild weather because it enables me to go out and do the outdoorsy things I like in it. For that reason I would be more than happy to have mild weather all the time. I don't ever need to be miserable in extreme cold or heat just so I can enjoy a contrast.

By your reasoning, people should be sick for six months every year because that's the only way they will really enjoy being healthy again!

(I'm not saying I don't like ANY change in the weather, like Kathryn's example of Guam. But a "bitter" season, whatever that means to a given person--let's just say a season they really don't enjoy at all--is not something I feel the need to experience every year.)

Last edited by saibot; 12-13-2018 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not a big fan of this philosophy. It may apply to food, but it doesn't necessarily apply to weather. I don't enjoy mild, sunny weather because it stands out as better than cold, rainy/snowy weather; I like mild weather because it enables me to go out and do the outdoorsy things I like in it. For that reason I would be more than happy to have mild weather all the time. I don't ever need to be miserable in extreme cold or heat just so I can enjoy a contrast.

By your reasoning, people should be sick for six months every year because that's the only way they will really enjoy being healthy again!

(I'm not saying I don't like ANY change in the weather, like Kathryn's example of Guam. But a "bitter" season, whatever that means to a given person--let's just say a season they really don't enjoy at all--is not something I feel the need to experience every year.)

I played mental game with myself one day, using my imagination and "what if". Last week it was about 30 degrees and completely overcast. It was a "gloomy" looking day. Then I thought; "What if a day like this was the BEST it ever got anywhere? How would my perceptions of the day change"? If there was something that happened to our world where a completely overcast cloudy day of 30 degree was best average weather condition, people who grew up only knowing this would see it as a fabulous day to do all the things outdoors that they love to do. Humans adapt based upon conditions and what is considered a good day or bay day will adapt/evolve to be relative to what exist.

I live in Minnesota. A 30 degree day in late September or early October will make me want to put on a big coat, hat and maybe even gloves. It will be a "bad day" as far as weather. However, after dealing with below zero temperatures for several weeks in a row, in mid January, a 30 degree day actually feels "WARM" and will be seen as a "good day" as far as weather goes. You will see people going out in shorts. The reason that it seems so warm then, and not in September, is due to contrast. Your body had adjusted to high temperatures from the summer, making 30 degrees feel really cold. The opposite became true when your body adjusted to dealing with subzero temperatures. The contrast of of a temperature of 30 relative to minus -15....makes 30 seem "warm".

Finally, I think people who have been sick appreciate being well more than people who are well all the time. A person who has survived a life threatening illness will appreciate life much more from the contrast of being near death. If you really want to appreciate something.....you have to be denied it or fear losing it and you will gain a new level of appreciation for it. Why does "make up sex" seem better than the regular? As the old saying goes...."you will never miss the water until the well runs dry".

FYI....after I imagined that day differently, I did not see the day as "gloomy" any longer. Don't underestimate the power of imagination. Sometimes you can change things by simply changing the way you perceive it.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-13-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
At age 56 and after having lived in various climates over the years, I know what I like and I know what I don't like. I know what I want to deal with year in and year out and I know what I don't want to deal with year in and year out. I knew by the time I was 35 years old.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the BEST that other climates have to offer, because I do - for instance, I think fall in Maine is absolutely gobsmacking fabulous. I think that a summer day at Virginia Beach is hard to beat. I think there's no place on earth more beautiful than southern Germany in May. But I can enjoy those times without putting up with the things I know I don't want to put up with. I think that's normal.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
At age 56 and after having lived in various climates over the years, I know what I like and I know what I don't like. I know what I want to deal with year in and year out and I know what I don't want to deal with year in and year out. I knew by the time I was 35 years old.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the BEST that other climates have to offer, because I do - for instance, I think fall in Maine is absolutely gobsmacking fabulous. I think that a summer day at Virginia Beach is hard to beat. I think there's no place on earth more beautiful than southern Germany in May. But I can enjoy those times without putting up with the things I know I don't want to put up with. I think that's normal.

And that experience provided you the CONTRAST to create your "like and don't like". I can move the California, San Diego and appreciate the weather as long as I can remember the contrast of how cold Minnesota is in the winter. However, each year in Cali that experiential memory fatigues, as well as my level of appreciation for Cali weather. That does not mean I will no longer appreciate Cali weather, I just will not appreciate it as much when as when I was actually experiencing the Minnesota cold. That is the way life is. The more you have something, the more you take it for granted, generally speaking.

Now....some peoples health is better in certain climates than others. That is a no brainier decision if one can afford to live anyplace they want.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM

293 posts, read 245,733 times
I live in a tropical country. It's almost mid-December and the temperature is about 75 degrees. Similar to what it was in June aaaand March aaaaand September aaaaand any other month of the year...

It is pretty boring knowing that every day you will wake up to the same temperature from the day, week or month before. This is why I struggle to understand people who move out of places with four seasons to all year round warm states based solely on the weather.

By the way, I've lived in places with cold winters, so I know how cruel winters can be.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Finally, I think people who have been sick appreciate being well more than people who are well all the time. A person who has survived a life threatening illness will appreciate life much more from the contrast of being near death. If you really want to appreciate something.....you have to be denied it or fear losing it and you will gain a new level of appreciation for it. Why does "make up sex" seem better than the regular? As the old saying goes...."you will never miss the water until the well runs dry".

FYI....after I imagined that day differently, I did not see the day as "gloomy" any longer. Don't underestimate the power of imagination. Sometimes you can change things by simply changing the way you perceive it.
Nah, the thought of playing mind games to convince myself that the weather isn't so bad or that I really like it after all doesn't move me very far. I'm really glad that works for you, though, because you live in Minnesota.

As for the comparison to health, I can't say I've been near death, but I've had cancer twice and been through two separate chemo regimens. They were both unpleasant and I very much hope I never have to do it again. I'm in good health now, but I don't feel that it was worthwhile being so miserable just so the contrast would make me enjoy health more. It doesn't. It would have been much better never to have been so sick.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:

Couldn’t agree more, that’s why I live where I do. I moved from San Diego to Michigan for school so I’m well aware of the mentality of enduring winter to enjoy summer. Those that make it out like it’s a badge of honor or something are often those complaining the most during it. I know plenty of them, many are friends and family.

To this point I believe many aren’t being completely honest. People often live in less than ideal environments for several reasons. Whether it’s home, for school or work, family commitments, or financial reasons, people usually will try to make the best of the situation and/or adapt, and truly enjoy life with those around them wherever they are, sometimes it’s all they know. I know I would downplay, or even make it seem nicer to my friends back home while not truly feeling that way inside. All you need to do is go to the What kind temperature do YOU consider hot, cold, or perfect? thread and see the overwhelming majority of responders from all over the county say the perfect/ideal temperature is somewhere between the 60’s to 80’s, usually right in the mid 70’s.

You also never hear any of the downside from the change of seasons crowd, only the positive. I’ve yet to hear someone comment on how lovely the snow is talk about their joy of shoveling, driving, and slipping on it. Or raking up those colorful leaves and cleaning storm gutters only to look at dead trees all winter. Springtime allergies and winter colds, or the bugs on those warm beautiful nights after a thunderstorm are a few others you never hear about.

I’m not trying to make this out as any one place is better than the other. Different cities/regions have all sorts of pros and cons for different people. Weather plays a big role for some, while others it doesn’t. I just think a lot of people tend to make the seasons out to be better or downplay the extremes than what reality is because it’s where they live. At least that’s been my experience living in both. Either way embrace where you live. As a wise man once said, “wherever you go, there you are” -Mike Brady

Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Nah, the thought of playing mind games to convince myself that the weather isn't so bad or that I really like it after all doesn't move me very far. I'm really glad that works for you, though, because you live in Minnesota.

As for the comparison to health, I can't say I've been near death, but I've had cancer twice and been through two separate chemo regimens. They were both unpleasant and I very much hope I never have to do it again. I'm in good health now, but I don't feel that it was worthwhile being so miserable just so the contrast would make me enjoy health more. It doesn't. It would have been much better never to have been so sick.

I don't know you, but I am glad you are in good health. I recently had a parent and sibling pass away from cancer. My point is that contrast is an inevitable part of life and makes things relative. You misconstrued things. Its not a matter of you only being able to appreciate something if you have contrast, my point is that the DEGREE in which you appreciate something is impacted by contrast. I certainly don't recommend that anyone get sick to appreciate life more, but an unfortunate truth is that everyone WILL eventually be near death and if they are fortunate enough to bounce back....life will be that much sweeter.

As far as mind games.......to a certain degree life is what you make it.....and that starts with how you make things in your mind. You can believe things into existence, to a certain degree. That certainly has application beyond just weather. As long as you are happy where you live, that is all the matter.....but it seems that your happiness is restricted and confined to certain external realities and void those external realities you would be "sad". Ultimately the goal, I would think, is to be able to create your happiness INTERNALLY, that way ones happiness is not controlled by location and weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.