U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 AM

4,892 posts, read 3,015,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

You also never hear any of the downside from the change of seasons crowd, only the positive. Iíve yet to hear someone comment on how lovely the snow is talk about their joy of shoveling, driving, and slipping on it. Or raking up those colorful leaves and cleaning storm gutters only to look at dead trees all winter. Springtime allergies and winter colds, or the bugs on those warm beautiful nights after a thunderstorm are a few others you never hear about.
If you truly believe this, you haven't read this thread. Many of the 4 seasons crowd has been candid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 AM

9,974 posts, read 6,907,432 times
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more, that’s why I live where I do. I moved from San Diego to Michigan for school so I’m well aware of the mentality of enduring winter to enjoy summer. Those that make it out like it’s a badge of honor or something are often those complaining the most during it. I know plenty of them, many are friends and family.

To this point I believe many aren’t being completely honest. People often live in less than ideal environments for several reasons. Whether it’s home, for school or work, family commitments, or financial reasons, people usually will try to make the best of the situation and/or adapt, and truly enjoy life with those around them wherever they are, sometimes it’s all they know. I know I would downplay, or even make it seem nicer to my friends back home while not truly feeling that way inside. All you need to do is go to the What kind temperature do YOU consider hot, cold, or perfect? thread and see the overwhelming majority of responders from all over the county say the perfect/ideal temperature is somewhere between the 60’s to 80’s, usually right in the mid 70’s.

You also never hear any of the downside from the change of seasons crowd, only the positive. I’ve yet to hear someone comment on how lovely the snow is talk about their joy of shoveling, driving, and slipping on it. Or raking up those colorful leaves and cleaning storm gutters only to look at dead trees all winter. Springtime allergies and winter colds, or the bugs on those warm beautiful nights after a thunderstorm are a few others you never hear about.

I’m not trying to make this out as any one place is better than the other. Different cities/regions have all sorts of pros and cons for different people. Weather plays a big role for some, while others it doesn’t. I just think a lot of people tend to make the seasons out to be better or downplay the extremes than what reality is because it’s where they live. At least that’s been my experience living in both. Either way embrace where you live. As a wise man once said, “wherever you go, there you are” -Mike Brady

Yeahhh.....nooo. Lol

I will be the first to say that I hate winter. If I had my choice of weather in the US.....it would be California weather without a doubt. Plus I love being near water and I love palm trees. However, I do love the beauty of fall, the snow on Christmas and the blooming of spring. I am not saying that one is better than the other. All I am saying is that in life....contrast gives it more "flavor". Predictable sameness eventually gets boring. No matter how much you like a certain dish, if you had to eat it every day you would get sick of it eventually. However, the only way you would get sick of it is to believe that there exists something better (However, just because you are sick of it does not mean that it no longer nourishes your body). To a large degree what you like or don't like are the results of mental expectations. You can grow to like or dislike things that you did not before. We are very adaptable creatures. Sometimes you just have to give things a chance. The more open one's mind is, the more they are able to adapt.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM

1,237 posts, read 517,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If you truly believe this, you haven't read this thread. Many of the 4 seasons crowd has been candid.
Very true. The point I was making is that those who romanticize it never do, and many downplay the cons tremendously to the point where it seems trivial. Not just in this thread, but anytime it comes up in various others as well. You have to at least recognize this.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM

45,174 posts, read 36,386,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And that experience provided you the CONTRAST to create your "like and don't like". I can move the California, San Diego and appreciate the weather as long as I can remember the contrast of how cold Minnesota is in the winter. However, each year in Cali that experiential memory fatigues, as well as my level of appreciation for Cali weather. That does not mean I will no longer appreciate Cali weather, I just will not appreciate it as much when as when I was actually experiencing the Minnesota cold. That is the way life is. The more you have something, the more you take it for granted, generally speaking.

Now....some peoples health is better in certain climates than others. That is a no brainier decision if one can afford to live anyplace they want.
OK here's the deal - I don't have to experience bitter cold any longer and haven't for decades, in order to love and appreciate milder winters. I'm not arguing with you, just stating my own personal experience. Honestly, I loved living in Germany but the long, cold, dark, wet winters were not one of the aspects I loved and I was glad it was only for three years.

And I was never enamored with it, or looking forward to it. It was something I put up with out of necessity.

And to be honest, I put up with August and September in Texas out of necessity, never enamored and never looking forward to it. But for me anyway, it's the lesser of the evils. For others, it's the other way around and that's OK too.

Like someone else said, "No matter where you go, you're always there." So work at that inner joy rather than relying on weather or blaming weather or whatever. Weather is a small part of personal happiness in the overall picture of things.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM

905 posts, read 450,712 times
Quote:
Very true. The point I was making is that those who romanticize it never do, and many downplay the cons tremendously to the point where it seems trivial. Not just in this thread, but anytime it comes up in various others as well. You have to at least recognize this.
The downplaying is one of two things (or some of both):

1. Is denial of the person's actual feelings to prove a point and/or maintain an image of toughness (e.g. braving "bad weather" makes you look strong). The person may actually hate the "con", but isn't willing to admit it. This is the childish and intellectually dishonest.
2. Is truly a result of resistance to the "con" (i.e. what is cold/hot/wet/miserable/unbearable to you isn't to me). This is just a factor of perspective and preference. There is a reason people love the weather in Phoenix, AZ and Duluth, MN year-round. I doubt most that love the weather year round in one would love the weather in the other.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yeahhh.....nooo. Lol

I will be the first to say that I hate winter. If I had my choice of weather in the US.....it would be California weather without a doubt. Plus I love being near water and I love palm trees. However, I do love the beauty of fall, the snow on Christmas and the blooming of spring. I am not saying that one is better than the other. All I am saying is that in life....contrast gives it more "flavor". Predictable sameness eventually gets boring. No matter how much you like a certain dish, if you had to eat it every day you would get sick of it eventually. However, the only way you would get sick of it is to believe that there exists something better (However, just because you are sick of it does not mean that it no longer nourishes your body). To a large degree what you like or don't like are the results of mental expectations. You can grow to like or dislike things that you did not before. We are very adaptable creatures. Sometimes you just have to give things a chance. The more open one's mind is, the more they are able to adapt.
Comparing eating the same dish everyday is nothing like having nice weather everyday, but keep telling yourself this. Maybe if you only like to look out it is, but if you like doing things outdoors that require and/or the enjoyment is enhanced by nice weather itís not the same.

Also we get the four seasons in Southern California. We were at our cabin two weekends ago when we got a good snow storm, and weíre going up tomorrow night to go skiing this weekend. This is two hours from our house in San Diego. Donít get me wrong I like the seasons too, I just donít like dealing with them full time, and have too many other interests that require good weather.

And you donít need to live somewhere cold to appreciate the good. Just a visit will do. I was in NY over thanksgiving visiting my wifeís family. They said it was the coldest since Ď96 or Ď97 and I believe it. While I love NYC, it wasnít too enjoyable walking around freezing. Going to her grandmas a couple of hours out of the city was even colder, to the tune of single digits thanksgiving night. It was a lovely visit, and it made my wife very happy, but no thanks. The day after returning I was sailing out in the Pacific, thatís more my speed. To each their own I guess.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK here's the deal - I don't have to experience bitter cold any longer and haven't for decades, in order to love and appreciate milder winters. I'm not arguing with you, just stating my own personal experience. Honestly, I loved living in Germany but the long, cold, dark, wet winters were not one of the aspects I loved and I was glad it was only for three years.

And I was never enamored with it, or looking forward to it. It was something I put up with out of necessity.

And to be honest, I put up with August and September in Texas out of necessity, never enamored and never looking forward to it. But for me anyway, it's the lesser of the evils. For others, it's the other way around and that's OK too.

Like someone else said, "No matter where you go, you're always there." So work at that inner joy rather than relying on weather or blaming weather or whatever. Weather is a small part of personal happiness in the overall picture of things.

I can't argue with you concerning what you like and what your experience. You are the expert on that. Your position, however, is not contradictory to my thesis. Again, people appreciate things that they like MORE when they don't constantly have it. That does not mean that one does not appreciate things that they constantly have, it's just saying that the degree of appreciation is higher when you don't have it for a while. Ergo, the old adage "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

A person could have a song that they just love, but if that is the only song that they heard played day after day, they would soon grow tired of that song. It does not mean that they no longer like the song, but kind of want to hear something else for a change. If the song is played in ROTATION then you are less likely to get sick of it. Same with your favorite meal. If you had to eat your favorite mean every day, you would grow tired of it. However, if you rotated that meals with other meals, even meals that you don't like, the degree in which you enjoy your favorite meal will be heightened each time you have to eat a different meal.

I don't know where you live, but if its a place where the temperature is over 60 right now......I can guarantee you that if I flew there tomorrow that I would appreciate that temperature much more than you. That is not saying that you don't appreciate it.....you just would not appreciate like I would.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The downplaying is one of two things (or some of both):

1. Is denial of the person's actual feelings to prove a point and/or maintain an image of toughness (e.g. braving "bad weather" makes you look strong). The person may actually hate the "con", but isn't willing to admit it. This is the childish and intellectually dishonest.
2. Is truly a result of resistance to the "con" (i.e. what is cold/hot/wet/miserable/unbearable to you isn't to me). This is just a factor of perspective and preference. There is a reason people love the weather in Phoenix, AZ and Duluth, MN year-round. I doubt most that love the weather year round in one would love the weather in the other.
I couldnít agree with you more on both accounts, especially the first point. Thatís one thing thatís great about this country, thereís pretty much something for everyone. We should feel blessed that this is the case. Most countries have similar weather and/or enivorments throughout.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Comparing eating the same dish everyday is nothing like having nice weather everyday, but keep telling yourself this. Maybe if you only like to look out it is, but if you like doing things outdoors that require and/or the enjoyment is enhanced by nice weather it’s not the same.

Also we get the four seasons in Southern California. We were at our cabin two weekends ago when we got a good snow storm, and we’re going up tomorrow night to go skiing this weekend. This is two hours from our house in San Diego. Don’t get me wrong I like the seasons too, I just don’t like dealing with them full time, and have too many other interests that require good weather.

And you don’t need to live somewhere cold to appreciate the good. Just a visit will do. I was in NY over thanksgiving visiting my wife’s family. They said it was the coldest since ‘96 or ‘97 and I believe it. While I love NYC, it wasn’t too enjoyable walking around freezing. Going to her grandmas a couple of hours out of the city was even colder, to the tune of single digits thanksgiving night. It was a lovely visit, and it made my wife very happy, but no thanks. The day after returning I was sailing out in the Pacific, that’s more my speed. To each their own I guess.

I think often times "fun" gets defined by your environment. As a child I loved sledding, making igloos, snow ball fights, white Christmases, playing in the snow. If I lived in California, I probably would not have LEARNED to enjoy any of those things because the environment did not offer it. However, I probably would have LEARNED to enjoy the beach and do other things that are fun as defined by what the environment and weather provides. Ergo, there is more than one way to enjoy the outdoors. Just because a person is USED to liking the outdoors a certain way does not mean that they can't learn the like the outdoors in another way when seasons changed.

I am pretty insular in the winter and I hate the cold as an adult. However, I have to admit that when I took advantage of fun things to do, like snowmobiling, sledding, ice skating, ice fishing, winter ski resorts, etc.....I really had a great time. My big issue with the cold and stuff as an adult is having to put on so much clothing and HAVING TO DRIVE IN IT!!! I find that most people who like the winter here are VERY active in doing things that are fun in the winter. Many people actually LOVE such winter activity.

When you are in Rome you have to do what the Romans do for fun. However, if you belief you will have fun or if you believe you will not, either way you will be right if you believe it hard enough. I think its good to be able to have fun outdoors.....regardless of what the weather is. That is what kids do. We seem to lose that ability as adults. Kids minds are OPEN....adult minds are CLOSED often, which is why kids have more fun.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-13-2018 at 01:10 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,015,436 times
Quote:
I think often times "fun" gets defined by your environment. As a child I loved sledding, making igloos, snow ball fights, white Christmases, playing in the snow. If I lived in California, I probably would not have LEARNED to enjoy any of those things because the environment did not offer it. However, I probably would have LEARNED to enjoy the beach and do other things that are fun as defined by what the environment and weather provides. Ergo, there is more than one way to enjoy the outdoors. Just because a person is USED to liking the outdoors a certain way does not mean that they can't learn the like the outdoors in another way when seasons changed.

I am pretty insular in the winter and I hate the cold as an adult. However, I have to admit that when I took advantage of fun things to do, like snowmobiling, sledding, ice skating, ice fishing, winter ski resorts, etc.....I really had a great time. My big issue with the cold and stuff as an adult is having to put on so much clothing and HAVING TO DRIVE IN IT!!! I find that most people who like the winter here are VERY active in doing things that are fun in the winter. Many people actually LOVE such winter activity.

When you are in Rome you have to do what the Romans do for fun. However, if you belief you will have fun or if you believe you will not, either way you will be right if you believe it hard enough. I think its good to be able to have fun outdoors.....regardless of what the weather is. That is what kids do. We seem to lose that ability as adults. Kids minds are OPEN....adult minds are CLOSED often, which is why kids have more fun.
This is a good post, but the opposite can be true too. If you grow up in Texas and see a movie with kids sledding, it makes you yearn for that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or