U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 06:00 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You guys have snow over there? It's raining in Milwaukee. It's weird to see all the snow in NC and TN and grass in WI.

Yes, we've had snow on the ground since late November. I want moar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah, I don't get it but go Grandma!

I totally get what she means. A cold rainy spring or fall day feels uncomfortable, unlike a nice dry freezing cold day. Same with a cold foggy day like much of the South in the winter (Tennessee, sometimes Texas has many days like that. Oregon and Washington even more so.)

Also, my grandma made her first snow angel earlier I had to remind her to use her legs as WELL as her arms haha.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I played mental game with myself one day, using my imagination and "what if". Last week it was about 30 degrees and completely overcast. It was a "gloomy" looking day. Then I thought; "What if a day like this was the BEST it ever got anywhere? How would my perceptions of the day change"? If there was something that happened to our world where a completely overcast cloudy day of 30 degree was best average weather condition, people who grew up only knowing this would see it as a fabulous day to do all the things outdoors that they love to do. Humans adapt based upon conditions and what is considered a good day or bay day will adapt/evolve to be relative to what exist.

I live in Minnesota. A 30 degree day in late September or early October will make me want to put on a big coat, hat and maybe even gloves. It will be a "bad day" as far as weather. However, after dealing with below zero temperatures for several weeks in a row, in mid January, a 30 degree day actually feels "WARM" and will be seen as a "good day" as far as weather goes. You will see people going out in shorts. The reason that it seems so warm then, and not in September, is due to contrast. Your body had adjusted to high temperatures from the summer, making 30 degrees feel really cold. The opposite became true when your body adjusted to dealing with subzero temperatures. The contrast of of a temperature of 30 relative to minus -15....makes 30 seem "warm".

Finally, I think people who have been sick appreciate being well more than people who are well all the time. A person who has survived a life threatening illness will appreciate life much more from the contrast of being near death. If you really want to appreciate something.....you have to be denied it or fear losing it and you will gain a new level of appreciation for it. Why does "make up sex" seem better than the regular? As the old saying goes...."you will never miss the water until the well runs dry".

FYI....after I imagined that day differently, I did not see the day as "gloomy" any longer. Don't underestimate the power of imagination. Sometimes you can change things by simply changing the way you perceive it.

Lets not forget, except for far north MN where not many people live, 30 in September is extremely EXTREMELY rare. This year the Twin Cities got to high 30s in September (as a low) but not that cold. In October it usually only happens a few days as an overnight low as well. People exaggerate how long freezing cold lasts for here. And yea, 30 feels very nice in winter. Was 30 today and it was perfect for sledding and ice skating, which I came back from doing a few hours ago. I think there's more oppressive summer days in Texas than oppressive winter days in Minnesota. I saw a dude ride his bike on a frozen lake today. Being cooped up inside all winter is a personal choice.

Back home in Florida I was depressed by the constant heat and humidity, and the lack of foliage change. Aside from palms which are overrated IMO, the trees in Florida are ugly as sin. Give me some maples, birches, oaks, spruces, pines, firs. And in spring gimme daffodils, tulips, apple blossoms, lilacs and crocuses. Every season is so pretty here. Really the ugliest parts are the tail ends of shoulder seasons like early spring when its slushy and bare, or late fall when its just brown.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Couldnít agree more, thatís why I live where I do. I moved from San Diego to Michigan for school so Iím well aware of the mentality of enduring winter to enjoy summer. Those that make it out like itís a badge of honor or something are often those complaining the most during it. I know plenty of them, many are friends and family.

To this point I believe many arenít being completely honest. People often live in less than ideal environments for several reasons. Whether itís home, for school or work, family commitments, or financial reasons, people usually will try to make the best of the situation and/or adapt, and truly enjoy life with those around them wherever they are, sometimes itís all they know. I know I would downplay, or even make it seem nicer to my friends back home while not truly feeling that way inside. All you need to do is go to the What kind temperature do YOU consider hot, cold, or perfect? thread and see the overwhelming majority of responders from all over the county say the perfect/ideal temperature is somewhere between the 60ís to 80ís, usually right in the mid 70ís.

You also never hear any of the downside from the change of seasons crowd, only the positive. Iíve yet to hear someone comment on how lovely the snow is talk about their joy of shoveling, driving, and slipping on it. Or raking up those colorful leaves and cleaning storm gutters only to look at dead trees all winter. Springtime allergies and winter colds, or the bugs on those warm beautiful nights after a thunderstorm are a few others you never hear about.

Iím not trying to make this out as any one place is better than the other. Different cities/regions have all sorts of pros and cons for different people. Weather plays a big role for some, while others it doesnít. I just think a lot of people tend to make the seasons out to be better or downplay the extremes than what reality is because itís where they live. At least thatís been my experience living in both. Either way embrace where you live. As a wise man once said, ďwherever you go, there you areĒ -Mike Brady

I mean, I see shoveling as a chore like any other. It can sometimes be a pain in the ass, other times I don't mind it, particularly when its a light fluffy snow. And maybe I'm not as clumsy as I thought I was, because I very rarely slip on ice. And when I do, I deserve it lol. Last time I slipped on ice I was drunk and trying to slide on it for fun. And are we really that lazy as a society that "raking" is seen as a struggle? For heaven's sake, I till the soil in my garden as part of a HOBBY. Raking is not work lol. Also, trees aren't dead in winter, they're dormant and I personally love the aesthetic of bare branches. Maybe its correlated with my teenage goth years, who knows

I admit winter has its annoyances. No one likes dangerous driving conditions (which aren't as common here as southerners and westerners would like to believe) and I don't like getting snow in my shoes etc. but these are minor inconveniences to me. And I like bugs, outside mosquitoes. Nothing like lightning bugs and moths on warm summer nights. Or ladybugs in the spring.

You can choose to be a pessimist all you like. Only look on downsides. I personal don't like climates like Florida, because the seasons don't change, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy hot summer days as well. Just not for 10 months of the year.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I mean, I see shoveling as a chore like any other. It can sometimes be a pain in the ass, other times I don't mind it, particularly when its a light fluffy snow. And maybe I'm not as clumsy as I thought I was, because I very rarely slip on ice. And when I do, I deserve it lol. Last time I slipped on ice I was drunk and trying to slide on it for fun. And are we really that lazy as a society that "raking" is seen as a struggle? For heaven's sake, I till the soil in my garden as part of a HOBBY. Raking is not work lol. Also, trees aren't dead in winter, they're dormant and I personally love the aesthetic of bare branches. Maybe its correlated with my teenage goth years, who knows

I admit winter has its annoyances. No one likes dangerous driving conditions (which aren't as common here as southerners and westerners would like to believe) and I don't like getting snow in my shoes etc. but these are minor inconveniences to me. And I like bugs, outside mosquitoes. Nothing like lightning bugs and moths on warm summer nights. Or ladybugs in the spring.

You can choose to be a pessimist all you like. Only look on downsides. I personal don't like climates like Florida, because the seasons don't change, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy hot summer days as well. Just not for 10 months of the year.
One thing I hated about winter was having to constantly wash my car.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
One thing I hated about winter was having to constantly wash my car.
That's another thing is cars get really dusty. You can tell spring has sprung because all the cars finally look shiny lol.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:13 PM

45,030 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I can't argue with you concerning what you like and what your experience. You are the expert on that. Your position, however, is not contradictory to my thesis. Again, people appreciate things that they like MORE when they don't constantly have it. That does not mean that one does not appreciate things that they constantly have, it's just saying that the degree of appreciation is higher when you don't have it for a while. Ergo, the old adage "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

A person could have a song that they just love, but if that is the only song that they heard played day after day, they would soon grow tired of that song. It does not mean that they no longer like the song, but kind of want to hear something else for a change. If the song is played in ROTATION then you are less likely to get sick of it. Same with your favorite meal. If you had to eat your favorite mean every day, you would grow tired of it. However, if you rotated that meals with other meals, even meals that you don't like, the degree in which you enjoy your favorite meal will be heightened each time you have to eat a different meal.

I don't know where you live, but if its a place where the temperature is over 60 right now......I can guarantee you that if I flew there tomorrow that I would appreciate that temperature much more than you. That is not saying that you don't appreciate it.....you just would not appreciate like I would.
It was 62 degrees today and frankly, I was overdressed - it got warmer than the forecast predicted.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:14 PM

45,030 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is a good post, but the opposite can be true too. If you grow up in Texas and see a movie with kids sledding, it makes you yearn for that as well.
LOL not me but though I've lived in Texas for 30 years I didn't grow up here.

i went sledding just a couple of years ago in Ohio and I remembered why I don't miss it. I mean, it was fun for a little while but then it was just wet and cold!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL not me but though I've lived in Texas for 30 years I didn't grow up here.

i went sledding just a couple of years ago in Ohio and I remembered why I don't miss it. I mean, it was fun for a little while but then it was just wet and cold!
Don't disagree with this much. Cold, like heat, is good in doses.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,815,386 times
Ya gotta bundle up for a proper holiday. Christmas markets somehow wouldnít feel the same in shorts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caFenoNHx4c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or