U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The only real mild and cool summer in Minnesota is along the North Shore where Lake Superior keeps the adjacent land cool. Grand Marais has one of the coolest summers in the state.

Outside of that strip of land, Minnesota can get pretty warm (although not as miserable as the South).

I love our summers in downstate MN. They're warm, but not oppressive. Its a "crack a cold can of Hamms and go to the lake" kinda heat. Summer heat is general is best enjoyed by water, which is why I enjoy visiting Florida in the summer, but not living there year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 AM

890 posts, read 443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love our summers in downstate MN. They're warm, but not oppressive. Its a "crack a cold can of Hamms and go to the lake" kinda heat. Summer heat is general is best enjoyed by water, which is why I enjoy visiting Florida in the summer, but not living there year round.
They aren't oppressive for sure, but hotter than I care for. I like summers long and cool, but it takes person who loves Duluth to love cool summers. I miss swimming in Lake Superior, but it is dangerously cold right now. I am in the lake May - September every other day most weeks.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,197,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
They aren't oppressive for sure, but hotter than I care for. I like summers long and cool, but it takes person who loves Duluth to love cool summers. I miss swimming in Lake Superior, but it is dangerously cold right now. I am in the lake May - September every other day most weeks.
North Shore summers are to die for. By far the best summers in the US anywhere east of the Rockies. If I had a job that allowed me to work from home and never commute, I would live in Grand Marais year-round.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
North Shore summers are to die for. By far the best summers in the US anywhere east of the Rockies. If I had a job that allowed me to work from home and never commute, I would live in Grand Marais year-round.

Maybe become a writer The North Shore seems like the place where lots of novelists would retreat to. Maybe its the Maine-like scenery?

Old 12-19-2018, 05:29 AM

12,026 posts, read 5,136,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmier View Post
I like moderate seasons, like you have in parts of Texas or even Southern Cal. No extremes.

If I HAD to pick, I'd choose a year round climate that is warm, just because my bones are getting older.
As far as Southern CA goes, moderate climates happen if you're within a handful of miles from the coast. Summers otherwise are hot and long, not just warm and winters can be cold as well. I live in So Cal and winter temps here where I live are consistently in the 30s at night and I don't live in the mountains. Summers are often 100 degrees on almost a daily basis.
So it depends on where in So Cal and what your definition is of moderate. In reality, just a small strip that runs along the coast is moderate or has ideal year round temps. The rest is rather over rated IMO. So I agree with you in that So Cal can be moderate but it can also be not very moderate depending on where. The moderate part is extremely expensive and only exists within a few miles of the coast.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 AM

We got a little dusting of snow last night. Not a lot but enough to make the ground white. Here I was worrying we wouldnt have a white Christmas this year. Big storm predicted AFTER Christmas. Not asking for much just a bit of snow. Anywhere between 12-200 inches

Old 12-23-2018, 11:32 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,023,787 times
I grew up and lived much of my life in the northeast--Mass .and NY and always had an adversion to cold snowy winters. Used to dream of balmy breezes and palms and often escaped to warmer climes for winter vacations.
Eventually removed myself to Arizona expecting to love the sun and heat and wild winters. No more 4 season changes. But was i disappointed! Although i enjoyed Arizona overall i never got used to the blazing heat for 4 months. Just stifling and monumentally depressing.

However i finally have found myself in a 4 season climate and am loving it. The key for me is that none of the seasons here in NM is severe and the usually sunny skies make winter tolerable. So it is easy to be outdoors in all seasons here. And it is nice to snuggle in and cook hearty meals, listen to music, entertain indoors, etc on colder days.

Still for me though the change from summer to fall is never easy and it takes a while to adopt to the changes and go out of shorts and t'shirts.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:29 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
We got a little dusting of snow last night. Not a lot but enough to make the ground white. Here I was worrying we wouldnt have a white Christmas this year. Big storm predicted AFTER Christmas. Not asking for much just a bit of snow. Anywhere between 12-200 inches
Iím jealous. Our hopes for a white Christmas this year are dashed. Enjoy!

Old 12-24-2018, 05:49 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Winter doesnít bother me a bit. So, yes, this is Ēmy own.Ē You should know that from earlier posts Iíve made in this thread, yet you always seem to comment on my preferences.

For the record, Iíll take a month of days like this over a single, hot, sweaty, oppressive, miserable and long Texas day:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAfPQPUaAw

Iíll save your impulse to comment here by wrapping this up with your own always apropos wisdom: ďTo each, his or her own.Ē This is my own.

Cheers!
Pot, meet kettle. Cheers!

Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Speaking of snow, we had some snow flurries before Thanksgiving this year - that was unusual. I like flurries that don't stick much or at all, so that was nice!

This week before Christmas, the weather has been crisp during the day and cold (to me, anyway - in the 30s and 40s) at night. Tons of sunshine. We went down to the Texas Hill Country and stayed in a log cabin for a few days and it was great! O l love when it's cold enough for a shawl or scarf (or both) and boots, and we really enjoyed the Christmas lights and festive spirit.

January is usually our cold, dark, wet month. We have one of those every year. I enjoy a month of sitting by the fireplace with a cup of hot tea at night - but after that I'm done! Except I'm not, because we nearly always have some sort of crazy weather event involving ice and/or snow (ice is a lot worse because snow is gone by the next day usually) in February or even March, so I have to keep reminding myself "DO NOT PLANT ANYTHING THAT CAN'T TAKE FROST" when it's gorgeously sunny with a hint of warmth to it in February!

Since we get so little actually debilitating ice and very little snow accumulation each year (though we do get a bit each year), we don't have snow plows, though we do have sand trucks. So an ice storm really does cripple this are for a few days. People run to the store, buy all the milk, eggs, bread, and toilet paper, get off work, and take a lot of pictures of icicles and terrible looking very small snowmen, so it's not all bad but I do get cabin fever after a day or two. Thankfully, with underground utilities, we have never lost power here, but in our former house we did once for several days, and that was not pleasant.

My daughter is moving to Germany in a few weeks, so I think we will be spending next Christmas season near the Alps - we've lived there before and while overall, winter was far too long and dark and wet and icy, it's great in December, so I can hardly wait to get my two weeks of icy weather (where they have the equipment to handle it on the roads). No one can do Christmas quite like those Germans!

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or