U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM

6,079 posts, read 3,404,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My daughter in Dayton got snow on Christmas morning but then it quickly turned to rain and slush and melted off by noon. But they sort of had a white Christmas!

It's weird, but they nearly always get whatever weather we just had, a day or two later, and about 10 to 20 degrees cooler. We just had massive storms (and five more inches of rain, which we didn't need) last night and lots of wind, and now a cold front is moving in after this warm front went through on Christmas and the day after. So now they are about to get those same storms and warmth before it gets cold again. It's always interesting to me when a system comes through Texas and continues on to affect them all the way up in Ohio.

Today it will still be warmer than usual, but by tomorrow we should be back in our typical 50s/30s groove again, throwing in a few lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s over the next week or so. It's supposed to rain AGAIN Sunday. If anyone say the word "drought" around me anytime soon I am going to run them out of town on a rail.

I've noticed the Texas panhandle area has been getting more snow than usual. Of course, DFW once again, misses the snow. Its as if they have a giant umbrella over them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 PM

45,089 posts, read 36,318,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I've noticed the Texas panhandle area has been getting more snow than usual. Of course, DFW once again, misses the snow. Its as if they have a giant umbrella over them
Right - for all the rain. It's unusual, but considering that we really WERE in a drought situation for awhile, I can't complain. All the lakes and rivers are full, that's for sure!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Right - for all the rain. It's unusual, but considering that we really WERE in a drought situation for awhile, I can't complain. All the lakes and rivers are full, that's for sure!

I remember how full it was in 2015 or 2016... when one of the lakes I used to go to overflowed really bad.

Edit: It was 2016. Here's a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMSOH5WTpE

Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I remember how full it was in 2015 or 2016... when one of the lakes I used to go to overflowed really bad.

Edit: It was 2016. Here's a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMSOH5WTpE
Yep, some of the lakes were so full a few years ago that they were closed down. In fact, one lake around here is currently closed because it's so full.

More rain coming this weekend - yay!

But I'll tell you something - it beats the fires of 2014. We didn't have to evacuate but we had some friends who lived nearby who did. The smoke was just hanging in the air everywhere. I took photos of driving down Interstate 20 with fires smoldering on both sides of the road - that was pretty creepy. It was just incredibly dry that year. I hope to never see conditions like that again. That WAS unusual. East Texas usually gets a healthy amount of rain each year. But we were warned months ago that this year was likely to be a lot wetter than usual and so far it has been. Good news is that it was also cooler this summer!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:02 PM

237 posts, read 102,409 times
I'm not sure how I ever came to nyc from Tennessee. It worked out job wise. But the weather? I've lived upstate 15 months while in nursing school and was miserable. 1 month of summer, 5.5 months of winter. I really enjoy being outside and just sunbathing and I do not sunburn (only did once on a small portion of my body after being out in the sun for 13 hours in Hawaii)

I loathe snow and I hate the fact of needing an expensive North Face and hunter/snow boots just to be outside for a relatively short amount of time. It would never kill me to never see another snow flake or leaves changing. There's youtube for that. Plus I really think I get deeply affected by SAD. When it's cold outside it's hard to find the motivation to want to do anything. This is going to be my final year in NY.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 AM

Well, it's cold (for me anyway) and cloudy and gray here today - 39 degrees right now with the high projected to be just a few degrees higher. Cold rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Typical "nearly January" weather here and I'm ok with it - for a few weeks. I don't find myself getting depressed during cold, wet, dark days, but I have lived where I had to deal with that for months instead of weeks and I don't prefer that.

I do enjoy traveling to other cooler places in September and October though - because in September it's still hot here and I'm tired of the heat after four months of it and want to see some fall colors and feel some cooler air. Which is always fun - and then I get to come back here and experience it all again in November! LOL

We had an interesting Christmas week - we went down to the Texas Hill Country, where it's even less chilly than here. I like that area a lot overall, but one thing I noticed was that, at about 5 degrees warmer during the day, many people were dressed in decidedly "unwinter" attire. Up in NE Texas, the minute it gets below 60 degrees, we are breaking out the scarves and boots!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Well, it's cold (for me anyway) and cloudy and gray here today - 39 degrees right now with the high projected to be just a few degrees higher. Cold rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Typical "nearly January" weather here and I'm ok with it - for a few weeks. I don't find myself getting depressed during cold, wet, dark days, but I have lived where I had to deal with that for months instead of weeks and I don't prefer that.

I do enjoy traveling to other cooler places in September and October though - because in September it's still hot here and I'm tired of the heat after four months of it and want to see some fall colors and feel some cooler air. Which is always fun - and then I get to come back here and experience it all again in November! LOL

We had an interesting Christmas week - we went down to the Texas Hill Country, where it's even less chilly than here. I like that area a lot overall, but one thing I noticed was that, at about 5 degrees warmer during the day, many people were dressed in decidedly "unwinter" attire. Up in NE Texas, the minute it gets below 60 degrees, we are breaking out the scarves and boots!

When I went to college in west Texas I was surprised to see how "underdressed" people were. Some people went out in the snow in shorts lol. I still cackle about how the year I moved to Denton I heard a guy in the UNT library describe the winters there as "frigid." Hah.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
When I went to college in west Texas I was surprised to see how "underdressed" people were. Some people went out in the snow in shorts lol. I still cackle about how the year I moved to Denton I heard a guy in the UNT library describe the winters there as "frigid." Hah.
LOL I have a picture of my husband from a few years ago when we had a big snow up here (six inches - wow, that was huge here!). He is walking around wearing a coat and shorts and cowboy boots. He looked absolutely ridiculous but he only has a few pairs of "real" pants anyway!

Old 12-29-2018, 08:15 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,004,733 times
Just spent Christmas in south Texas. Absolutely shorts weather. That being said, Lubbock at 25 was colder than anything i felt in Denver

Old 01-02-2019, 01:44 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,178,435 times
It’s been a very mild winter so far in NJ. Yesterday I sat in my hammock outside and read the internet with my coffee. No snow as far as the forecast can see.

And as someone who loves winter sports, I’m hating this. I got new ski boots for Xmas, ready to use them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or