U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2019, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Reputation: 7710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Its been a very mild winter so far in NJ. Yesterday I sat in my hammock outside and read the internet with my coffee. No snow as far as the forecast can see.

And as someone who loves winter sports, Im hating this. I got new ski boots for Xmas, ready to use them!

I was playing hockey on the lake yesterday, and we heard a really bad crack and decided we were done for the night! Today reached the 40s. Way too mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2019, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,877,659 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I was playing hockey on the lake yesterday, and we heard a really bad crack and decided we were done for the night! Today reached the 40s. Way too mild.
How is that way too mild? We have been in the 50s for highs the last 6 days or so, and I've needed a jacket all day; 40s is still jacket weather objectively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How is that way too mild? We have been in the 50s for highs the last 6 days or so, and I've needed a jacket all day; 40s is still jacket weather objectively

Our average highs is in the low to mid 20s this time of year, so yes, 40s is too mild for this time of year. If it was May yes... it'd be considered very cold. But its January.



And don't act like you wouldn't consider a high of 95 in Phoenix in July to be mild. Mild is relative to location and season, and 40 F is still objectively mild because its too warm for ice to form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Reputation: 63544
It's been in the 40s here and gray and wet and I'm freezing! I have new boots too but I can definitely wear them in this weather so that's one good thing.

About a year ago, my husband and I visited family in Ohio. I knew it would be cold so I packed my warmest clothes. I found out quickly that my boots were not made for 4 degree weather! Forty yes, four no. We had to go buy some boots since there was so much snow around and the weather forecast was showing highs in the teens and twenties - eventually. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have a bunch of boots but apparently they are Texas boots - LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,877,659 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Our average highs is in the low to mid 20s this time of year, so yes, 40s is too mild for this time of year. If it was May yes... it'd be considered very cold. But its January.



And don't act like you wouldn't consider a high of 95 in Phoenix in July to be mild. Mild is relative to location and season, and 40 F is still objectively mild because its too warm for ice to form.
Only to a point, we've had 95 (and sometimes less) in July here, and it's still hot objectively, even though we're used to heat here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only to a point, we've had 95 (and sometimes less) in July here, and it's still hot objectively, even though we're used to heat here

Well makes sense because 95 is more hot than 45 is cold. 45 isn't all that cold. A better comparison might be 80-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,877,659 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well makes sense because 95 is more hot than 45 is cold. 45 isn't all that cold. A better comparison might be 80-85.
I need a jacket at 45, and it's cold if you need a jacket to be comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I need a jacket at 45, and it's cold if you need a jacket to be comfortable

Its 42 and sunny here. No jacket needed. A sweater does fine. So no, you don't NEED a jacket. Clothing preference is subjective anyway. An objective way to gauge weather is the way it affects the environment. If all the snow is melting and its January... its mild weather. Even my freeze-baby Floridian aunt says 40s is "nice warm weather" for us.


Even objectively, 40s is still on the mild side because its too warm to freeze. (Although freezing conditions can still be relatively mild, anyone who has spent a winter up north will know this) I'd consider 80s mild too, even if its hot. Mild doesn't mean "100% comfortable" it just means "not extreme."


You also enjoyed the context I included. When it comes to playing hockey on a lake, weather in the 40s is DEFINITELY mild because it starts to thaw out the ice, making it unsafe to skate on. I wasn't talking about wearing jackets, I was talking about being on a frozen lake. But by your measure, 45 degrees would be cold enough to be on the lake and not worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,877,659 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Its 42 and sunny here. No jacket needed. A sweater does fine. So no, you don't NEED a jacket. Clothing preference is subjective anyway. An objective way to gauge weather is the way it affects the environment. If all the snow is melting and its January... its mild weather. Even my freeze-baby Floridian aunt says 40s is "nice warm weather" for us.


Even objectively, 40s is still on the mild side because its too warm to freeze. (Although freezing conditions can still be relatively mild, anyone who has spent a winter up north will know this) I'd consider 80s mild too, even if its hot. Mild doesn't mean "100% comfortable" it just means "not extreme."


You also enjoyed the context I included. When it comes to playing hockey on a lake, weather in the 40s is DEFINITELY mild because it starts to thaw out the ice, making it unsafe to skate on. I wasn't talking about wearing jackets, I was talking about being on a frozen lake. But by your measure, 45 degrees would be cold enough to be on the lake and not worry
I consider mild to be 60s, where I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable, without it being warm (70s to mid 80s) or hot (high 80s+). You must have thick blood if you can be comfortable in the 40s without a coat. I can't do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
345 posts, read 788,555 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I consider mild to be 60s, where I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable, without it being warm (70s to mid 80s) or hot (high 80s+). You must have thick blood if you can be comfortable in the 40s without a coat. I can't do it
Most of the US is much colder than the Phoenix, mild is 40-60s during the winter since many parts of the US can have long stretches of cold, grey, very wintry days with highs in 20s and 30s. Even in Atlanta during some cold waves, a high of 43 and sunny can feel very nice, or even better 47 and sunny! I did notice Phoenix and SOCAL was a bit chillier/colder than usual but it will pass. What I have observed with the West especially during the colder months, if it is colder there it is warmer/milder in the east and vice versa, but the cold is more intense and more frequent in the east. It can be 35/20 in Atlanta which is some of the coldest weather we get here and be 82/53 on the same day in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top