U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,922 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Reputation: 63576

Advertisements

LOL I have two sets of loved ones in Ohio - my daughter and her family, and my brother and his wife. My daughter and her family have been there temporarily, with the Air Force. She thinks the snow is lovely, taking pictures of it, fighting over whether she or her husband shovels the snow off the driveway and walkway, etc. But of course, they're leaving in a month, and have been there for less than three years.

My brother and his wife have been there for 20 years. Just got a text message from them saying how sick to death they are of it, and it's only been on the ground for a day. Of course, they realize that they are in for it through March, and maybe even April. Year after year. The novelty has definitely worn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,740,700 times
Reputation: 6945
Deep down, some people are just snow wimps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The roads were in better shape today and I was driving around to do various things. There is nothing compared to the beauty of driving through a wooded area with literally everything covered in glistening, white snow. It looks like a fairy tale land.
snow tires, all wheel drive, and keep your wits about you. Of course, I worry about other drivers, not me./
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,881,632 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is what January is supposed to look like, in my book.
If it ever looked like that here, it would literally mean the world is ending, so no thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,334 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Reputation: 33532
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Deep down, some people are just snow wimps.
it really isn't their fault, or anything like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,393,954 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, thank you. But thank God it never looks like that here.

It's in the 40s today and gray and overcast (pretty much like January is "supposed" to be in my book), and I don't even want to go outside. Thank goodness for a nice warm house, a fire in the fireplace tonight when it dips down into the 30s, and a nice cup of hot tea. And thank goodness that next month I'll be outside cleaning out my flower beds and planning what flowers to plant in March.

Yea, God forbid it ever looks pretty for once during winter in Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,393,954 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is what January is supposed to look like, in my book.



So jealous right now. This winter has sucked so far. There's nothing to do outside except maybe go on the ice, but even then the weather's been too unstable that the ice isn't reliably thick as it usually is this time of year. There's no skiing nor sledding nor snow tubing. Any "snow" leftover is hard icy refrozen slush. Useless weather. And its gonna get cold soon. Below zero. With no snow. That's gotta be hard on the plants. People are often ignorant to how beneficial snow is for climates that experience true changes of seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,740,700 times
Reputation: 6945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
So jealous right now. This winter has sucked so far. There's nothing to do outside except maybe go on the ice, but even then the weather's been too unstable that the ice isn't reliably thick as it usually is this time of year. There's no skiing nor sledding nor snow tubing. Any "snow" leftover is hard icy refrozen slush. Useless weather. And its gonna get cold soon. Below zero. With no snow. That's gotta be hard on the plants. People are often ignorant to how beneficial snow is for climates that experience true changes of seasons.
And if that weren't enough, we're expecting another blizzard Friday night-Saturday, with another 5-6 inches, or maybe more.

Looks like Missouri is getting all the snow the upper Midwest usually gets. Last storm St Louis really got hammered. And a few days after Thanksgiving we got 6-7 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,922 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Reputation: 63576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea, God forbid it ever looks pretty for once during winter in Texas
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I actually like the gray, overcast, chilly days of January in Texas since they are an anomaly. I mean, we just lost the last of the leaves a few weeks ago and now the trees are bare against a cloudy sky and I like it. But I only like it for a few weeks so thankfully that's all I have to "put up with."

Today is chilly and this weekend it's supposed to get down into the 20s and be very windy, but yesterday morning I sat out on my back patio in a warm robe and drank coffee and listened to birds singing while the sun shined down on me. Nice! I liked looking across the peaceful back yard and watching the birds flutter among the bare black branches silhouetted against a blue sky. I don't know - maybe it's just me but I thought that was really pretty. In Texas. In the winter.

I was looking back on memories from a year ago and we had a big ice storm here this time last year. Well, big for us, probably nothing for people further north. You know what my favorite part of that storm was? That I could get some cool pictures - and then it melted and the sun came out, within a day or two! Win win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I actually like the gray, overcast, chilly days of January in Texas since they are an anomaly. I mean, we just lost the last of the leaves a few weeks ago and now the trees are bare against a cloudy sky and I like it. But I only like it for a few weeks so thankfully that's all I have to "put up with."

Today is chilly and this weekend it's supposed to get down into the 20s and be very windy, but yesterday morning I sat out on my back patio in a warm robe and drank coffee and listened to birds singing while the sun shined down on me. Nice! I liked looking across the peaceful back yard and watching the birds flutter among the bare black branches silhouetted against a blue sky. I don't know - maybe it's just me but I thought that was really pretty. In Texas. In the winter.

I was looking back on memories from a year ago and we had a big ice storm here this time last year. Well, big for us, probably nothing for people further north. You know what my favorite part of that storm was? That I could get some cool pictures - and then it melted and the sun came out, within a day or two! Win win!
I love grey skies, hence I'm considering Seattle. Sun gets on my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top