U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 PM

44,989 posts, read 36,268,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think you're over-doing it. Even in Minnesota you get periods even in January where the temps climb up into the 40's and 50's and it's sunny out. In the Plains states, most of the winter is actually sunny because it's a bit of a dry season. I think only around the Great Lakes is it usually cloudy so much. It's not like it's frigid cold all winter, like anywhere else you get cold waves and you get warm waves.
No, don't think I'm overdoing it. I'm very familiar with winters in Ohio, New England, PA, even WV and MD. I'm not saying it's the same everywhere, but what I described is common in a lot of places and that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about MN because I'm not all that familiar with it though I've traveled there on business at various times of the year.

Sure it's not the same everywhere - I'm just describing what I'm familiar with. That being said, PLEASE don't act like temps in the fifties is typical in MN in January. Right now, it's 2 degrees in Minneapolis. The average high in January is 22 degrees. That's just the way it is, and I'm sure it's lovely to some people and I'm happy for them but as for me, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 07:23 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,744,380 times
I never said 50's in Minnesota was typical, I'm just pointing out that it's not perpetually frigid all winter and you get cold spells and warm spells, so you're not going to be freezing your butt off all winter long.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:34 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,776,397 times
Winter is so expensive. I'm so over it...

Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not denying the beauty - I just know what comes next, for days or weeks, or sometimes even months. In cold climates, it's weeks or months of heavy skies, gray slush, salt residue on vehicles, piles of sooty dirty snow, patches of ice on sidewalks and roads, potholes, etc. In the tropics, it's months on end of days in the 80s and nights in the 70s, with scattered rain showers. OK. Nice for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

But other people love it and I'm glad about that. For instance, I have a son who lives in Guam. It's literally THE SAME basic weather day in and day out 365 days a year - except sometimes it rains longer during the day. He absolutely loves it and I'm really glad about that.

Thats not the story here in Minnesota. Winters here are very sunny. Its usually late fall thats "grey" and "slushy." In a typical winter, the sky is usually blue, the ground is usually white. We're normally too cold for slush. The dirty snow is a "busy city street" thing, not a winter thing specifically. Its only restricted to downtown areas. Residential streets aren't busy enough to get so dirty. Can't deny the salt thing... but.... whenever I'm in the deep south it doesn't take long to have the windshield FILTHY from bugs dying on it. Especially in Louisiana. Every climate has its caveat. Whatever, car washes exist. This winter's been mild so I've only done one car wash and its still relatively clean.

You seem to describe somewhere like Ohio more. And thats fine. Ohio is too warm for me

Old 01-19-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
No, don't think I'm overdoing it. I'm very familiar with winters in Ohio, New England, PA, even WV and MD. I'm not saying it's the same everywhere, but what I described is common in a lot of places and that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about MN because I'm not all that familiar with it though I've traveled there on business at various times of the year.

Sure it's not the same everywhere - I'm just describing what I'm familiar with. That being said, PLEASE don't act like temps in the fifties is typical in MN in January. Right now, it's 2 degrees in Minneapolis. The average high in January is 22 degrees. That's just the way it is, and I'm sure it's lovely to some people and I'm happy for them but as for me, no thanks.

I'm glad 50s are rare in January. 22 and even 2 are much preferable for me this time of year. 40s are very common though. No, not common as in "every week we get the 40s" but more so "every year we probably will get the 40s a few times." Anything above freezing sucks to me, because it melts my precious snow and leads to that slush you don't like lol. Also, 35 and damp feels way colder than 25 and dry.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Winter is so expensive. I'm so over it...

Have you ever been blessed with a Florida electricity bill, hun?

Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I never said 50's in Minnesota was typical, I'm just pointing out that it's not perpetually frigid all winter and you get cold spells and warm spells, so you're not going to be freezing your butt off all winter long.
Well of course - we are talking average and typical, not atypical.

Following that line of reasoning, I could truthfully say, "It snows here in NE Texas in the winter." Sure, it snows every winter here. We had snow here before Thanksgiving this past year in fact. But that was not typical winter weather here. Typically the highs in January are in the 50s.

I could also say "It's not perpetually in the 90s with high humidity in the summer in Texas so you're not going to be hot and sweaty outside all summer long," and that would also be technically true, but the reality is that Texas summers ARE long, and hot, and often humid. The average high in Dallas in August is 97 and the average low is 77. Sure not all those days are that hot - some are hotter and some are cooler - but let's just be honest about what to expect.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:27 AM

Meanwhile, for some Four Seasons variety - not the norm but hey, it happens - it's in the low twenties with a windchill factor making it feel like 19 degrees outside and that's cold as heck to me! But I have been enjoying listening to our windchimes outside for the past few days. As long as I can hear them from inside, I'm good to go!

I also like lighting candles as well as the fireplace indoors, so I'm thoroughly enjoying January, as usual. I'm reading a really good book. Last night I went to bed at 9 pm, which is unheard of for me but hey, it had already been dark for like three hours at least, and I got sleepy! Of course, then I woke up at 1 am - and at 3 am - and finally at about 4:45 am I thought "To heck with this," and got on up.

My southern dogs run outside, do their bidness, and run immediately back to the back door and stare inside sending me subliminal messages - "LET. US. IN. LET. US. IN." Alright, already!

Yesterday the wind was so extreme that not only did I have to venture outside to pick up outdoor chairs and cushions and grill covers that had blown around the yard, I decided not to go anywhere because there were warnings out about driving in such intense winds. Yikes! Not to mention the havoc that would wreak on one's hair. Thank goodness that's calmed down a bit today.

The next ten days should be typical January weather here.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Well of course - we are talking average and typical, not atypical.

Following that line of reasoning, I could truthfully say, "It snows here in NE Texas in the winter." Sure, it snows every winter here. We had snow here before Thanksgiving this past year in fact. But that was not typical winter weather here. Typically the highs in January are in the 50s.

I could also say "It's not perpetually in the 90s with high humidity in the summer in Texas so you're not going to be hot and sweaty outside all summer long," and that would also be technically true, but the reality is that Texas summers ARE long, and hot, and often humid. The average high in Dallas in August is 97 and the average low is 77. Sure not all those days are that hot - some are hotter and some are cooler - but let's just be honest about what to expect.

To be fair, I think Texas summers, while extremely hot, aren't as bad as people make it out to be either. Compared to Phoenix, the heat isn't as bad. Compared to Miami, the humidity isn't as bad. Depends where you are, but lets suppose the northern half of the state, which is more bearable. However, the heat in a Texas summer is more static than the cold in a Minnesota winter. For example, even though you may have cooler days in the summer, its still very likely gonna reach at least the mid 80s in Texas. You're more likely to see a high of 45 in January here than a high of 75 in July there. But you still do have those nicer days in June or August where the low is like 65 and its a nice reprieve from the heat. They don't come often, but they do exist. In Miami, you're lucky to see a temperature under 77 all summer long.

Quote:
Meanwhile, for some Four Seasons variety - not the norm but hey, it happens - it's in the low twenties with a windchill factor making it feel like 19 degrees outside and that's cold as heck to me! But I have been enjoying listening to our windchimes outside for the past few days. As long as I can hear them from inside, I'm good to go!

I also like lighting candles as well as the fireplace indoors, so I'm thoroughly enjoying January, as usual. I'm reading a really good book. Last night I went to bed at 9 pm, which is unheard of for me but hey, it had already been dark for like three hours at least, and I got sleepy! Of course, then I woke up at 1 am - and at 3 am - and finally at about 4:45 am I thought "To heck with this," and got on up.

My southern dogs run outside, do their bidness, and run immediately back to the back door and stare inside sending me subliminal messages - "LET. US. IN. LET. US. IN." Alright, already!

Yesterday the wind was so extreme that not only did I have to venture outside to pick up outdoor chairs and cushions and grill covers that had blown around the yard, I decided not to go anywhere because there were warnings out about driving in such intense winds. Yikes! Not to mention the havoc that would wreak on one's hair. Thank goodness that's calmed down a bit today.

The next ten days should be typical January weather here.

That's how my Dallas born pup was when he first moved here. Now he loves to go outside no matter the weather, EXCEPT for rain and mud. He hates rain. But he likes snow and tries to eat it.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:47 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,744,380 times
Ah yes, at last a real winter in the Midwest.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or