U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 05:14 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,735,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
You say that on here. I seriously doubt the talk around KC today is how itís a nice -5. Like I said before, I never once heard anyone say they like sub zero temps when I was in school. Ok there was always that one guy who had to be different, but they were usually a bit off, or full of it just to get attention. If you genuinely enjoy it, which I really donít believe, more power to you. You must be stoked right now.
I actually really do like it. Single digits, or around 0 or even a few degrees below, are kinda cool .. once again, IF there is little or no wind. Once a halfway decent wind kicks in then it gets to be a real pain.

That said, I've never experienced below -6 or thereabouts, so I don't know what I'd think if it got, say, 20 below.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:58 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,308,027 times
^^^^ To me, itís not as much about enjoying the weather of winter as it is about enjoying the season.

For example where I live itís currently mad brick out with a windchill of -5F and we even had a mini snowstorm earlier today. Walking outside while the air hurts my face is not enjoyable, but watching the snowstorm from inside definitely was ó and always is, very enjoyable for me.

Currently Iím writing this from indoors in the heat with a bowl of pho and a hot cup of tea after walking here in the ice and snow. There is no recreating this feeling, and this is what winter is all about to me

Short clip of the storm: https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment...zf&sh=20e3c2db

Old 01-30-2019, 05:59 PM

44,791 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Well, y'all go on wid cho bad seffs. Meanwhile I will enjoy my evening temps in the 30s and my daytime temps in the 50s!

We're actually supposed to get a frozen mix tonight (not surprising in January) but it won't stick around (which is fine by me) because tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the low 50s. THAT'S what I'm talkin about!

My brother and daughter and their families live in the Dayton OH area and it's so cold there that their schools are closed. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Friday it warms up a bit - to the low 30s - with a 70 percent chance of freezing drizzle. Good times!

For the record, they are all sick. And they hate this weather.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 507,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q64MKxF-1w

Made this video earlier. Weather like this is is a fun novelty. And every July you'll see people in Phoenix uploading youtube videos of eggs frying on the sidewalk. I think I'll take the cold over that. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna warm up my hot chocolate before I walk to work Maybe I'll drive if my car starts lol.
Damn thatís impressive, thanks for sharing.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:40 PM

750 posts, read 256,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't mind them. But they're not all that bad. Certainly not something I want all winter long, but its nice to have those ruthless days that give you an excuse to stay home. (I had classes cancelled yesterday!) But how many people in Texas or Arizona love triple digit heat? Even I don't mind 100-105 if I'm at the swimming pool. My ideal year would involve one or two 100s in the summer, and a week of sub zero in the winter.

Your attitude is much more understandable now that I saw you saying in another thread that you only just got A/C last summer. Heat is awful if you have no way to escape it. In the West the cool nights help you escape it, in the humidity of the East and Midwest only the air conditioned indoors can do that.

But consider the flip side and how you'd feel about sub zero cold if you didn't have a way to heat your house. Heating is to cold what A/C is to heat. Of course, heating has been far more common throughout human history...a big reason for that being that man can survive in humid 90 degrees just fine even it gets a bit sticky...while your chances of long-term survival out in the open without means of generating heat are slim to none in sub-zero temperatures.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 507,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Hell no. Never moving there. Never moving, period.
Thatís cool. Hopefully you use a bit more tact if/when your husband wants to come home.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That’s cool. Hopefully you use a bit more tact if/when your husband wants to come home.
He knows we’re not moving there because there isn’t work for me & I refuse to be unemployed

Old 01-31-2019, 08:04 AM

I promise you - PROMISE YOU - that I prefer a few days of temps over 100 (we only get a few each summer) to temps under 30 for weeks at a time.

But to each his or her own. I'm happy other people like freezing temperatures for weeks and often even months on end because otherwise we'd have great expanses of empty land I guess. And I enjoy visiting those regions...in seasons other than winter.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:38 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Your attitude is much more understandable now that I saw you saying in another thread that you only just got A/C last summer. Heat is awful if you have no way to escape it. In the West the cool nights help you escape it, in the humidity of the East and Midwest only the air conditioned indoors can do that.

But consider the flip side and how you'd feel about sub zero cold if you didn't have a way to heat your house. Heating is to cold what A/C is to heat. Of course, heating has been far more common throughout human history...a big reason for that being that man can survive in humid 90 degrees just fine even it gets a bit sticky...while your chances of long-term survival out in the open without means of generating heat are slim to none in sub-zero temperatures.
+1 That first cold front in fall is amazing.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
+1 That first cold front in fall is amazing.
I totally agree! We get those here too - in November. It drops to about 55 and I love it!

Actually, we had snow flurries here in NE Texas before Thanksgiving this year but that was unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or