Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
+1. My only drawback is when I'm not fully prepared walking the dog. That's when it can suck.

I don't like cleaning up dog poop in this cold cuz it instantly freezes to the ground. I know the pup can't wait for it to be warmer so he can go for a walk lol. 40s this weekend, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Your attitude is much more understandable now that I saw you saying in another thread that you only just got A/C last summer. Heat is awful if you have no way to escape it. In the West the cool nights help you escape it, in the humidity of the East and Midwest only the air conditioned indoors can do that.

But consider the flip side and how you'd feel about sub zero cold if you didn't have a way to heat your house. Heating is to cold what A/C is to heat. Of course, heating has been far more common throughout human history...a big reason for that being that man can survive in humid 90 degrees just fine even it gets a bit sticky...while your chances of long-term survival out in the open without means of generating heat are slim to none in sub-zero temperatures.

A few people in the metro-area did experience power outages, thankfully not I. I guess if the power was to go out, I would either have to stay with someone who did have power... or we can build some kind of fire lol. That would suck as well, but it takes quite a bit for power to go out. Honestly not sure what even caused the last outage. I mean, I know its an extreme cold. I'm just saying that, as long as your heat is working and you use common sense (dress right) its manageable. The worst to me was this morning driving to the dentist, my car took forever to warm up and my toes didn't get warm the whole drive. But today was weird because even though it was below zero it was cloudy and snowed. Usually at below zero its clear skies and the sun helps.

I think about how the Inuit survived for generations in the Arctic, without any of the modern conveniences that we have today. We truly are spoilt. Same with all the tribes in the Amazon. I couldn't do it. Not just the heat, but the bugs and reptiles lol.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Well, my arms are all tore up now because I got outside yesterday (yes, it was chilly but not freezing) and trimmed my rose bushes. I've already got the "dig in the yard and plant things" urge but I MUST RESIST. We will get another one or two cold snaps this year before April so I cannot be lulled into a false sense of security!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't like cleaning up dog poop in this cold cuz it instantly freezes to the ground. I know the pup can't wait for it to be warmer so he can go for a walk lol. 40s this weekend, though.
I don't remember it being that cold in Denver. It certainly steams up though lol.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 PM

20,721 posts, read 9,318,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's -5 here in KC right now and it's not really that bad at all (I just came in from outside). There's very little wind, only a slight breeze at best. I actually like really cold weather IF there's no wind. Nice 'n crisp and brisk.
Now, just 2 days later, it got up to the 50's. Sunday might even get into the 60's.

Here in KC, we get multiple seasons ... all in the same week.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Now, just 2 days later, it got up to the 50's. Sunday might even get into the 60's.

Here in KC, we get multiple seasons ... all in the same week.
LOL I was just thinking this when my daughter up in Ohio called! From zero to 55 in less than a week!

We are going to be up to 75 on Tuesday - now dang it, that's not right either. I am all for February being damp and chilly - that's what it's supposed to be - not 75 and stormy! Then it is supposed to drop 20 degrees. I mean, that's not 55 degrees but it's a significant drop - into what is normal for this area in February.

It was in the mid sixties today and I have to admit that I liked working in the yard for the second day in a row this morning. I am all torn up because I was pruning rose bushes but it was still nice after several months of NOT working in the yard, which is something I love to do.

My husband wants to build a green house in the back yard - I'm all for that. We're also going to redo our herb bed - we can do that in February and get it ready for planting herbs in March or April. I love watching everything come back to life in the spring!

Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I don't remember it being that cold in Denver. It certainly steams up though lol.

Yes, the steam is interesting. Looks like the stink waves in the cartoons.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Well, it's dropped over 30 degrees here between yesterday and today - 15 at least from this morning, and still dropping! Brrr!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
In Denver this week. Took a shower and went outside and my hair froze in two minutes.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
In Denver this week. Took a shower and went outside and my hair froze in two minutes.

I never wash my hair on days where I'm gonna be outside right after and its freezing cold... and if I have to, I blow dry the crap out of it.

Like today for example, I wanna wash my hair but instead of showering in the morning as I've been doing lately, I'mma do it at night so I don't have to go outside after. Never had my hair freeze and dun plan on it lol especially in this weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.