U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 PM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
How long have you lived in NYC? Seeing youíve lived your whole life in California a lot of this is just new to you, hence why youíre enjoying so much at this time. Not everyone, but most that grew up in Southern California and left eventually want to make their way back if they can. Maybe it isnít the case as much for LA, as I can only speak to San Diego.

I too liked the change of seasons and everything they entailed when I went to school in Michigan, it was a factor in leaving San Diego. I will say as time wore on and I knew I still a couple of years to go things changed a bit. The novelty seemed to wear off and I missed being outside in nice weather year round. Whether it was watching my friend on tv at USC along with the Chargers in late fall and seeing everyone in T-shirtís, or taking trips home and to Hawaii in the winter, I knew I had to get back.

All my friends, and many more Iíve met, that have left for school, work, or love, all came back, or would if their circumstances were different. Like I said it may be different for you, and I genuinely hope it is as you really seem to have found your place. All I want is for people to be happy in life, but a lot of this can be chalked up to being new and different, and donít be too surprised if you change your mind down the road.
This is my 6th winter out of SoCal. If you include my years in SF for college, it's my 9th "winter" since SF in winter isn't exactly balmy like SoCal. In fact, I remember one winter going down into the 20s or 30s in SF and heavy-ish/waterproof clothes are still required to make it through a SF winter. That fog and wind tears right through you in the Avenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 505,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is my 6th winter out of SoCal. If you include my years in SF for college, it's my 9th "winter" since SF in winter isn't exactly balmy like SoCal. In fact, I remember one winter going down into the 20s or 30s in SF and heavy-ish/waterproof clothes are still required to make it through a SF winter. That fog and wind tears right through you in the Avenues.
Fair enough. And like I said it may not apply to you and I hope it doesnít. Itís just that you sounded so much like an old friend of mine who grew up in LA and after going to NYC for training moved there for good saying he was never coming back. He came back to San Diego where he went to school a few years later citing weather being the biggest factor after downplaying it when heíd come back to visit.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I never understood this about people in the suburbs. You leave your heated house to get into your car which will have the heat blasting and you drive to the store/restaurant you're going to which will be heated once you get inside. Why do people insist on throwing on 3 layers, a hat, a scarf and gloves when they're only outside for a maximum of 2 minutes while walking into the establishment? Also, why do people drive their car while wearing all those layers at once? You know the car has heat, right?

In NYC, most of my friends and I don't layer. We wear one heavy-ish coat. The walk to the subway might be cold, but the station will be at least somewhat warm. The train will be warm. The walk to wherever might be cold. But then when we get to the bar/restaurant, we don't have to take off 7 things and watch out for them the entire night. Why do suburban people insist on wearing more layers than some New Yorkers when we're exposed to the cold even longer since we actually walk places? I wear T-shirts under most of my winter coats because I know when I get inside, the heat will be cranking. A lot of my friends do the same.
I doubt that it has anything to do with "suburbs." Though it may have to do with people who aren't using public transportation for whatever reasons.

I'll tell you my line of reasoning. You go out to your car - your car is cold. You probably have to scrape ice and snow off the windshield (in the cold and wet weather). Your car is cold till you get at least half way to your destination. Then you park - and walk - in the sleet or snow or driving cold rain and wind - to your destination. You may have to park pretty far from the entrance so if you don't wear a coat and gloves and hat and scarf, you're cold and wet by the time you get in the door.

I don't want to be cold and wet. Ever. Which is why I live quite south of the Mason Dixon line. The less cold and wet, the better.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 PM

254 posts, read 114,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It was 4 degrees here last week.

Nice try though

if you aren't happy, move, but I doubt most people are spending most of their time on the couch watching TV. Life doesn't stop b/c it's cold
Dude just stop.

Look at daily highs and lows between NYC and central illinois, with wind chill. It isn't even close.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Dude just stop.

Look at daily highs and lows between NYC and central illinois, with wind chill. It isn't even close.
Come on. Do you think ppl in places like Vladivostok Russia donít do anything ever?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Well, trees and flowers are trying to bud here in NE Texas. Maybe they will be OK - the ten day forecast doesn't show any freezing temps on the horizon in spite of a 20 degree drop in temps from the low 70s to the low 50s for highs tomorrow.

It's not unusual though to get another freeze in March, so we'll just have to see what happens! Meanwhile, I will enjoy the low 70s today since they are nowhere in our forecast for the next ten days afterward.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM

617 posts, read 175,626 times
This thread is definitely overrated.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I doubt that it has anything to do with "suburbs." Though it may have to do with people who aren't using public transportation for whatever reasons.

I'll tell you my line of reasoning. You go out to your car - your car is cold. You probably have to scrape ice and snow off the windshield (in the cold and wet weather). Your car is cold till you get at least half way to your destination. Then you park - and walk - in the sleet or snow or driving cold rain and wind - to your destination. You may have to park pretty far from the entrance so if you don't wear a coat and gloves and hat and scarf, you're cold and wet by the time you get in the door.

I don't want to be cold and wet. Ever. Which is why I live quite south of the Mason Dixon line. The less cold and wet, the better.
Have fun with that.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:47 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,381,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, trees and flowers are trying to bud here in NE Texas. Maybe they will be OK - the ten day forecast doesn't show any freezing temps on the horizon in spite of a 20 degree drop in temps from the low 70s to the low 50s for highs tomorrow.

It's not unusual though to get another freeze in March, so we'll just have to see what happens! Meanwhile, I will enjoy the low 70s today since they are nowhere in our forecast for the next ten days afterward.
Punxsutawney Phil says Early Spring!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,381,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Come on. Do you think ppl in places like Vladivostok Russia don’t do anything ever?
Looking up the climate there, it is freezing cold in the Winter but it is on the 43rd parallel so the sun is still relatively strong and it states clear sunny days are fairly frequent in Winter.

I can tell you the sun can make all the difference--even when temperatures are freezing if the sun is out it can be beautiful.

All I know is that it is 60 and �� sunny right now in Philly, and I'M LOVING IT! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or