U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 11:35 PM

112 posts, read 41,716 times

Advertisements

Yes. I'd rather it stay between 60-85 year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 05:21 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
At least the "Air Conditioned City" gets tourist money from the heat refugees from the Cities.
Come on, you're in northern MN. You know how many city slickers head north on summer weekends. Who owns most of the lake houses up there? It cuts both ways.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM

44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
And yet most of us STILL don't want to live in Texas! (Love you, Kathryn. )
No worries, we've got plenty of people here already and more coming every day! Both legally and illegally but that's a topic for another thread.

Everybody - stay where you are if you love it. I know I am.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Any bluebonnets yet?
Yes, south of us, but not this far north yet. However, we have pollen covered vehicles so spring must be here!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 9,123 times
I grew up in New England, and yet I'm not a change of seasons snob. I just don't see it as something to prefer one way or the other. I like everything when it comes to climate and weather, so my preference is wherever I am at a given time. I adore real winters, but I also loved living in LA without getting a chance to escapie to the mountains. There's something intangible about experiencing the shifting of the seasons, and there's something intangible about being stuck in LA for a year. I could live in New England and LA for a decade each, and I'd miss both equally.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualnihilism View Post
I grew up in New England, and yet I'm not a change of seasons snob. I just don't see it as something to prefer one way or the other. I like everything when it comes to climate and weather, so my preference is wherever I am at a given time. I adore real winters, but I also loved living in LA without getting a chance to escapie to the mountains. There's something intangible about experiencing the shifting of the seasons, and there's something intangible about being stuck in LA for a year. I could live in New England and LA for a decade each, and I'd miss both equally.
This is pretty much how I feel, for the short haul for sure. I'm a former military brat and then wife and we moved all the time, to various regions, cities, even countries, and I loved something about all of those places. I took a part of each place with me so to speak, in my psyche, as well, and there are things that I miss about each very different place as well.

That being said, I think that each of us is sort of wired together, at least by the time we're an adult, to have preferences when it comes to weather, terrain, seasons, etc. For instance, while I love mountains, I know I am an ocean sort of person. And while I love, for instance, the beauty of farms and fields in the midwest, with the big barns and big white farmhouses, and while I love the rolling hills of northern Georgia, what I love the most is that big Texas sky, the excitement of the storms, the beauty of NE Texas pastures, with hay gathered in big stacks in the fields, the horses and cows grazing - I love those elements regardless of the season. So it's really just a matter of preference.

But I think it's best to be of this particular mindset - that no matter where we are, we are happy, and we find things we love, things we embrace, things we take with us. For instance, I realized just how much I love fresh air and airing things out when I lived in Germany - so now I do that all the time, I hang things on the line or air them in the sun every chance I get. From Ohio I took my love of old, rambling farmhouses and old homes in general, and my appreciation for cute town squares and Americana. From Virginia I took my love of water, waterways, the ocean, rivers, you name it. I love getting out in a boat on any body of water. From California I took my love of big cities, and the way a city can be full to the brim with people and yet still keep a sense of beauty and interesting architecture. From the northeast I took my love of history, and my feeling of connectivity to ancient ancestors (I also took that from Virginia - just wanted to throw that in). From Japan I took my love of time and space - the concept of our home as an oasis, a place to recharge, the luxury of quiet and peace, with the dichotomy of the bustle of a huge city right around the corner. I also love many things about changes of seasons and that stems from my years in Japan because wow they have a gorgeous fall and winter there, and don't even get me started on the cherry blossoms in spring or the wild and spectacular storms in the summer!

Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 9,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is pretty much how I feel, for the short haul for sure. I'm a former military brat and then wife and we moved all the time, to various regions, cities, even countries, and I loved something about all of those places. I took a part of each place with me so to speak, in my psyche, as well, and there are things that I miss about each very different place as well.

That being said, I think that each of us is sort of wired together, at least by the time we're an adult, to have preferences when it comes to weather, terrain, seasons, etc. For instance, while I love mountains, I know I am an ocean sort of person. And while I love, for instance, the beauty of farms and fields in the midwest, with the big barns and big white farmhouses, and while I love the rolling hills of northern Georgia, what I love the most is that big Texas sky, the excitement of the storms, the beauty of NE Texas pastures, with hay gathered in big stacks in the fields, the horses and cows grazing - I love those elements regardless of the season. So it's really just a matter of preference.

But I think it's best to be of this particular mindset - that no matter where we are, we are happy, and we find things we love, things we embrace, things we take with us. For instance, I realized just how much I love fresh air and airing things out when I lived in Germany - so now I do that all the time, I hang things on the line or air them in the sun every chance I get. From Ohio I took my love of old, rambling farmhouses and old homes in general, and my appreciation for cute town squares and Americana. From Virginia I took my love of water, waterways, the ocean, rivers, you name it. I love getting out in a boat on any body of water. From California I took my love of big cities, and the way a city can be full to the brim with people and yet still keep a sense of beauty and interesting architecture. From the northeast I took my love of history, and my feeling of connectivity to ancient ancestors (I also took that from Virginia - just wanted to throw that in). From Japan I took my love of time and space - the concept of our home as an oasis, a place to recharge, the luxury of quiet and peace, with the dichotomy of the bustle of a huge city right around the corner. I also love many things about changes of seasons and that stems from my years in Japan because wow they have a gorgeous fall and winter there, and don't even get me started on the cherry blossoms in spring or the wild and spectacular storms in the summer!
You make it all sound so idyllic! I'm a touch envious of your Japan experience, in particular. The way the Japanese culture champions the seasons is truly incomparable.

I agree that we're wired to create a distinct set of preferences, because it helps form an identity and keep us grounded. However, while having a less defined set of preferences might sometimes come across as ambivalent, the fact that there's less resistance to change could be a valuable attribute under certain circumstances. I simply prefer to not have dominant preferences, and while there are basic pros and cons to any outlook, it's primarily subjective and case specific, at the of the day.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualnihilism View Post
You make it all sound so idyllic! I'm a touch envious of your Japan experience, in particular. The way the Japanese culture champions the seasons is truly incomparable.

I agree that we're wired to create a distinct set of preferences, because it helps form an identity and keep us grounded. However, while having a less defined set of preferences might sometimes come across as ambivalent, the fact that there's less resistance to change could be a valuable attribute under certain circumstances. I simply prefer to not have dominant preferences, and while there are basic pros and cons to any outlook, it's primarily subjective and case specific, at the of the day.
I understand where you're coming from.

Actually weather is not THE main motivator for me when it comes to where to choose to live, but of course I have my preferences. And I am more used to the southern and southeastern weather patterns, maybe some mid Atlantic thrown in so whenever I experience those weather patterns I feel most comfortable and "at home," even if I'm not at home if that makes sense.

But listen, I'm also money motivated. I want to live where we have expendable income, where we have family and friends, where the weather is usually to my liking, and where it's easy to catch a flight if we want to travel. Pretty much in that order.

In other words, I don't care how great the weather is somewhere, I am not going to choose to live there if I'm going to be poor, or lonely, or unable to travel easily. No thanks.

Money can''t buy happiness, but it can buy good climate control!

Old 03-26-2019, 06:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I understand where you're coming from.

Actually weather is not THE main motivator for me when it comes to where to choose to live, but of course I have my preferences. And I am more used to the southern and southeastern weather patterns, maybe some mid Atlantic thrown in so whenever I experience those weather patterns I feel most comfortable and "at home," even if I'm not at home if that makes sense.

But listen, I'm also money motivated. I want to live where we have expendable income, where we have family and friends, where the weather is usually to my liking, and where it's easy to catch a flight if we want to travel. Pretty much in that order.

In other words, I don't care how great the weather is somewhere, I am not going to choose to live there if I'm going to be poor, or lonely, or unable to travel easily. No thanks.

Money can''t buy happiness, but it can buy good climate control!

Hear, hear. The Midwest is my ideal climate zone. It has what I love about Southern summers (thunderstorms, hot days that are perfect for swimming) without the relentless oppressive heat that lasts too long. It has a ton of snow in the winter, but at least in my area, we have plenty of sunny days so you don't get too much of that greyness like in the Northeast or Great Lakes. Plus, we get the excitement of maaaybe a tornado?? (Which don't terrify me like they do west coast people)

Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Hear, hear. The Midwest is my ideal climate zone. It has what I love about Southern summers (thunderstorms, hot days that are perfect for swimming) without the relentless oppressive heat that lasts too long. It has a ton of snow in the winter, but at least in my area, we have plenty of sunny days so you don't get too much of that greyness like in the Northeast or Great Lakes. Plus, we get the excitement of maaaybe a tornado?? (Which don't terrify me like they do west coast people)
LOL I never get overly upset about tornadoes or tornado warnings - I love big storms and I always get a kick out of tornado season. My next door neighbors from New Mexico are scared to death of tornadoes and they recently installed an above ground storm shelter in their garage - taking up half their garage. As for me, give me a good tornado warning and I'll be outside on the porch looking for funnel clouds!

I am glad we've both found places we love. I don't have to put up with snow and ice and you don't have to put up with long summers - win win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or