U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 AM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times

Advertisements

Good thing we changed our vacation time in Sedona, AZ because the forecast calls for snow flurries in a few days. WHAT THE HECK. No thanks!

The weather has been pretty crazy in a lot of the US lately. Including around here. Hey, it's crazy but at least here it's crazy that I'm used to - LOL.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,989,000 times
Yep. Snowing in Denver

Old 05-24-2019, 08:00 AM

90 posts, read 52,652 times
The three most populated states (California, Texas and Florida) are all states known for their warm weather and mild winters. Think there's a connection?

Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM

8,006 posts, read 16,068,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
The three most populated states (California, Texas and Florida) are all states known for their warm weather and mild winters. Think there's a connection?
Well in fairness, California and Texas also happen to be the two largest states in terms of land area in the lower 48. Florida isn't small either. All three of those states are in the top 10 for the most coastline in the U.S. and population worldwide skews heavier towards the coasts. Finally, two of the three biggest cities (New York and Chicago) are known for being northern cities with cold winters.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM

6,970 posts, read 14,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to call that a causal connection. California has a massive economy. LA has always attracted those interested in entertainment. SF has the tech industry. SD is a major destination for military families to stay and that population has grown along with the regular population. The weather helps the three, but it's not like the only thing CA has going for it is the weather. Also, since the metros of CA are so large, the attract a large immigrant population. It's a very close destination for Mexican immigrants and being on the Pacific coast, it attracts a lot of East/Southeast Asian immigrants.

Texas has done a good job of attracting businesses and talent. It also benefits from cheap land. And it's not like Dallas has great weather per se. Hot summers, it snows in winter sometimes, and tornadoes are not a foreign concept. Also being close to the Mexican border, it has grown tremendously from immigrants.

Florida has promoted its cheap land and become a retiree destination. Miami is also one of the most important cities for Latin American entertainment and business, and it serves as a massive port of entry for international flights, boats, and cruises.

On top of that, they're all large in land area experienced growth post-WWII when suburbs became more popular. I'm not saying warm weather didn't benefit them, but it's not like weather was the absolute reason people started moving there.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to call that a causal connection. California has a massive economy. LA has always attracted those interested in entertainment. SF has the tech industry. SD is a major destination for military families to stay and that population has grown along with the regular population. The weather helps the three, but it's not like the only thing CA has going for it is the weather. Also, since the metros of CA are so large, the attract a large immigrant population. It's a very close destination for Mexican immigrants and being on the Pacific coast, it attracts a lot of East/Southeast Asian immigrants.

Texas has done a good job of attracting businesses and talent. It also benefits from cheap land. And it's not like Dallas has great weather per se. Hot summers, it snows in winter sometimes, and tornadoes are not a foreign concept. Also being close to the Mexican border, it has grown tremendously from immigrants.

Florida has promoted its cheap land and become a retiree destination. Miami is also one of the most important cities for Latin American entertainment and business, and it serves as a massive port of entry for international flights, boats, and cruises.

On top of that, they're all large in land area experienced growth post-WWII when suburbs became more popular. I'm not saying warm weather didn't benefit them, but it's not like weather was the absolute reason people started moving there.
I mean, of course weather isn't the only reason they're the most populated states. I'm just saying it's probably one factor.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,989,000 times
South Texan friends, please stay cool.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:38 PM

80 posts, read 151,696 times
Default Personally, Yes. 4 seasons is definitely overrated.

I have lived 22 years in a Northern climate and 25 in FL. When I lived in Florida, all I could dream about was moving back to where there are 4 seasons. The helpless romantic in me so desperately longed for traditional Spring, lush Summers, crisp colorful Autumns followed by snowfalls and sledding and jingle bell Christmases. Now? I say F--K all that! (gesture of my finger gagging my throat and dramatic eye roll). In a word (or 3) - I. HATE. WINTER. Every part about it I despise. I thought hot and humid Summers were what I hated, but no. When it comes to depressing, soul-crushing sadness, Winter wins hands down. I don't even enjoy Fall anymore because it's just a foreboding sad thought that the bleak horrors of Winter is imminent. I never felt that way about Summer approaching in Florida. Yes, the heat and humidity in Summer is hard to describe, but I absolutely adored the afternoon thunderstorms all through Summer and the Hurricane season. Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but cat 3-5 Hurricanes so rarely actually hit where YOU are. Most of the time it's excitement, a day off from work and parties! Woot-woot! And need I say that Spring, Fall and Winter in Florida CANNOT BE BEAT? We are looking to move back to Florida soon, and I am nervous, especially because I know those Summers are going to test me, and that there are certainly other imperfections about living in the Sunshine State - but I feel ready. So ready. Bring on the warm, the sun, the seagulls, the sound of waves, the tropical flowers, flip flops and margaritas watching the sunset - EVERY NIGHT OF THE YEAR. Here are my top reasons for why WINTER SUCKS!

REASONS WHY WINTER IN A COLD CLIMATE SUCKS!

1.) Shoveling snow and scraping ice must be God's punishment for the Original Sin.

2.) Snow is a flipping MESS. It's pretty for about 5 minutes. The rest of the time it's like you're taking daily mud baths. Clean your car? What's the point!

3.) The constant, never ending insanity of having to put on and take off layers of clothing: coats, scarves, boots, gloves, sweaters, thermal tights, snow pants, ear muffs, yada, yada, yada - GRRRRR.

4.) The sun comes up at 9, hangs low in the sky, then sets at 4pm. Nuff said.

5.) WIND. Or what I like to call - Cold knives cutting through your face. Winds so fierce and so cold, you find yourself literally catching your breath, trying to breathe normally and feeling like your heart may have stopped.

6.) Driving on icy roads. You and other cars WILL slide through intersections and into things. Just hope you or that other wayward car can swerve out of the way in time.

7.) "BLACK ICE" Look it up. I personally have seen about 30 incidents, and some were bad enough the person did not get up right away. Help! Medic!

8.) Barren, bleak BROWN landscapes. I don't think anything is as sad as bare trees. Dirt, mud, brown, yuck.

9.) NEVER feeling like you can get warm. The feeling of cold that goes straight through you and your shoulders lock up in tension. You constantly have the urge to literally RUN and get inside a building. ANY building.

10.) Having to get up on a freezing cold morning and get out of your warm bed. Then actually having to GO OUTSIDE. And then what? Scrape your car!

11.) The fact that winter is the longest season of the year. Hello? It's JUNE and you are STILL COLD.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:50 PM

619 posts, read 176,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
South Texan friends, please stay cool.
Looks great.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM

What are the seasons like in the southwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or