U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 04:10 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
What are the seasons like in the southwest?
It really depends on your altitude.

For instance, the weather differs greatly between say, Phoenix and Flagstaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 07:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 413,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
I have lived 22 years in a Northern climate and 25 in FL. When I lived in Florida, all I could dream about was moving back to where there are 4 seasons. The helpless romantic in me so desperately longed for traditional Spring, lush Summers, crisp colorful Autumns followed by snowfalls and sledding and jingle bell Christmases. Now? I say F--K all that! (gesture of my finger gagging my throat and dramatic eye roll). In a word (or 3) - I. HATE. WINTER. Every part about it I despise. I thought hot and humid Summers were what I hated, but no. When it comes to depressing, soul-crushing sadness, Winter wins hands down. I don't even enjoy Fall anymore because it's just a foreboding sad thought that the bleak horrors of Winter is imminent. I never felt that way about Summer approaching in Florida. Yes, the heat and humidity in Summer is hard to describe, but I absolutely adored the afternoon thunderstorms all through Summer and the Hurricane season. Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but cat 3-5 Hurricanes so rarely actually hit where YOU are. Most of the time it's excitement, a day off from work and parties! Woot-woot! And need I say that Spring, Fall and Winter in Florida CANNOT BE BEAT? We are looking to move back to Florida soon, and I am nervous, especially because I know those Summers are going to test me, and that there are certainly other imperfections about living in the Sunshine State - but I feel ready. So ready. Bring on the warm, the sun, the seagulls, the sound of waves, the tropical flowers, flip flops and margaritas watching the sunset - EVERY NIGHT OF THE YEAR. Here are my top reasons for why WINTER SUCKS!

REASONS WHY WINTER IN A COLD CLIMATE SUCKS!

1.) Shoveling snow and scraping ice must be God's punishment for the Original Sin.

2.) Snow is a flipping MESS. It's pretty for about 5 minutes. The rest of the time it's like you're taking daily mud baths. Clean your car? What's the point!

3.) The constant, never ending insanity of having to put on and take off layers of clothing: coats, scarves, boots, gloves, sweaters, thermal tights, snow pants, ear muffs, yada, yada, yada - GRRRRR.

4.) The sun comes up at 9, hangs low in the sky, then sets at 4pm. Nuff said.

5.) WIND. Or what I like to call - Cold knives cutting through your face. Winds so fierce and so cold, you find yourself literally catching your breath, trying to breathe normally and feeling like your heart may have stopped.

6.) Driving on icy roads. You and other cars WILL slide through intersections and into things. Just hope you or that other wayward car can swerve out of the way in time.

7.) "BLACK ICE" Look it up. I personally have seen about 30 incidents, and some were bad enough the person did not get up right away. Help! Medic!

8.) Barren, bleak BROWN landscapes. I don't think anything is as sad as bare trees. Dirt, mud, brown, yuck.

9.) NEVER feeling like you can get warm. The feeling of cold that goes straight through you and your shoulders lock up in tension. You constantly have the urge to literally RUN and get inside a building. ANY building.

10.) Having to get up on a freezing cold morning and get out of your warm bed. Then actually having to GO OUTSIDE. And then what? Scrape your car!

11.) The fact that winter is the longest season of the year. Hello? It's JUNE and you are STILL COLD.
To each their own. Move South. Everyday is the same except for variations in how hot it will be. Day after day, after day, after day, after day, after day, etc. Then you die. Give me adversity! I want to know Iím alive.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 PM

1,271 posts, read 812,144 times
I like 3 (and a quarter) of the seasons. In Chicago, it's awesome to be there from May until January 1st of the next year. Here's why:

May-August--- Late spring/summer. Awesome time to be in Chicago. The summers, while definitely humid, are not as crazy as those in the south. The city of Chicago in the summer is beautiful, as is this part of the Midwest in general. So much going on, tons of people out having bbqs, parties, going to the beach, outdoor concerts, music festivals, baseball games, etc.

September-- This is when people start leaving Chicago to fly back down south or go back to school. For me though, this is when the Chicago/Midwest weather is actually starting to become the best. Summer is winding down, but my favorite season; fall is right up on the way. Sweatshirt weather is just now arriving and football is starting as well.

October/November-- Here we are; my absolute favorite months of the year. Sweatshirt weather throughout all of October and the beginning part of November. The fall is beautiful in the Midwest (as well as parts of the Southeast and New England). Take a nice drive out to the rural parts of northern IL for some awesome pumpkin patches and haunted corn mazes. Halloween is beautiful in this mild weather. This is also when the holiday season begin with Thanksgiving; in my opinion, the Holidays are best spent in sweet home Chicago

December 1-25-- Here we are, the prime of the holiday season. Christmas is coming up, and temps are getting pretty low now. But that is perfectly fitting and awesome during Christmastime. I wouldn't want to spend Christmas in the desert with zero snow and overall just a fake holiday feeling. Like Thanksgiving, there's nothing better than spending Christmas in a snowy climate (assuming it's a lucky year and there is an actual "white Christmas".

December 26-Jan 1, next year-- Christmas is now over, but you might as well stay here for the New Year, right? New Years eve, IMO, should also be spent in the cold. Even if it does happen to be below zero.

Jan 2-late April-- Okay, time to head south for the winter. This part of the year absolutely sucks in Chicago.

Not everything I said is exclusive to Chicago, but that extent of change of seasons is virtually impossible in AZ and Florida. So yeah, I guess I do appreciate change of seasons, but for me, Jan 2-late April is terrible in the north, and yes, I'd much rather spend that part of the year in a southern climate for sure.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:31 PM

299 posts, read 78,785 times
We live in a mild 4 seasons in the West. I have lived in Chicago weather and no thanks.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM

761 posts, read 258,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
To each their own. Move South. Everyday is the same except for variations in how hot it will be. Day after day, after day, after day, after day, after day, etc. Then you die. Give me adversity! I want to know Iím alive.

You must have a remarkably good life if the only adversity you ever face is weather. Most people probably just want weather to be a nice inoffensive background noise to all the other stuff they want to do with their lives. Arguably coastal California weather is the most suitable climate in that sense as temperatures will be at a pleasant mild level most of the time, but also quite obviously warm weather in general tends to cause less bother than cold weather.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:48 PM

I don't want much ice or snow or long winters of temps below freezing. That doesn't mean that seasons don't change around here because they definitely do - they're just not evenly spaced if that makes sense.

Someone mentioned Jan to April being rough in Chicago. I can imagine - it's also rough in Dayton, OH where my brother lives. Meanwhile, in April we are wearing shorts and planting flowers. Of course, we're also still in summer in September, but it's just a trade off - in most of the US, if you don't want to deal with long cold winters, you will be dealing with long hot summers. Pick your poison. I know which one I prefer, but of course there's enough great Murica for everyone!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Looks great.
Yeah, I guess I'm heat and humidity adverse. Anything over 90 and I'm miserable.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 16,075,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post

Not everything I said is exclusive to Chicago, but that extent of change of seasons is virtually impossible in AZ and Florida. So yeah, I guess I do appreciate change of seasons, but for me, Jan 2-late April is terrible in the north, and yes, I'd much rather spend that part of the year in a southern climate for sure.
I agree with most of what you said and would argue it applies to Boston too. I'd actually push it from April-January for the average person here. I'm a skier, and I actually enjoy the the coldest winter months (Jan and Feb), and early March usually has the best snow of the season (you have 4 or so months of base at this point). So for me, the toughest months are generally Mid-March to Mid-April and November. They're the uglies around here. For people who don't do outdoor stuff in the winter, January, February, and March are miserable. Especially March because it's functionally winter and at that point, people are just done with it.

I feel that the start of "outside" season here happens Patriots Day weekend in Mid-April. You've generally got flowers blooming, and have had at least spots of good outdoor weather. Patriots Day (Marathon Monday) is the first big outdoor event of the year and the unofficial kickoff of the spring/summer season. It's honestly my favorite day in Boston. But because it's April in New England, you're still in for heavy doses of rain, some cold/raw days, potentially even a flurry or two even in Mid-April.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, I guess I'm heat and humidity adverse. Anything over 90 and I'm miserable.

You must be miserable in SC.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 AM

80 posts, read 151,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post

Hahaha! So true. I totally agree with wanting variety. That's why Hawaii, though gorgeous, doesn't entice me in the least. FL does have Season shifts. In fact, it has more of a predictably Spring than Colorado does. The smell of Orange blossoms and Jasmine in May is intoxicating. And those incredible Summer storms are hard to beat. How wonderful that we have such a huge country that there is somewhere for every taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or