U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 PM

3,057 posts, read 4,127,789 times

Advertisements

Lived in places with two seasons.....wet and dry.

Lived in places with four seasons.......

the best thing about four seasons is that your activities change with the seasons. Even winter with fly tying, pickleball, and other indoor activities is a nice break from fishing, hunting, hiking. I enjoy skiing in winter, but really not a attraction other than being outdoors in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 AM

8,113 posts, read 16,169,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I disagree that regardless of where someone is from they have a bias towards hot weather over cold. I've lived in the MN, and a vast majority complained about the cold. I've lived in GA, and a vast majority complain about the heat. To me, I see more of a general "grass is greener" bias in a lot of people. It's sort of the neighborly thing to do, to lament about the extremes of your current climate, insinuating greener pastures.
I don't know. I think think it's fairly accurate to say that people generally have a bias toward warm over cold. Yes, people who live in cold climates typically complain about the cold and people who live in warm climates complain about the heat. But I rarely see/hear far more people in warm/hot climates talk about how they're itching to move to a cold one. I do see plenty of people up north looking to move to colder ones.

Last edited by lrfox; 07-17-2019 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM

11,151 posts, read 10,285,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't know. I think think it's fairly accurate to say that people generally have a bias toward warm over cold. Yes, people who live in cold climates typically complain about the cold and people who live in warm climates complain about the heat. But I rarely see/hear far more people in warm/hot climates talk about how they're itching to move to a cold one. I do see plenty of people up north looking to move to colder ones.
When I had only lived in the Northeast, I thought it would be great to live somewhere warm all year long.

It took actually moving there before I realized how much I missed the different seasons. I eventually moved back to the Northeast.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,060,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Lived in places with two seasons.....wet and dry.

Lived in places with four seasons.......

the best thing about four seasons is that your activities change with the seasons. Even winter with fly tying, pickleball, and other indoor activities is a nice break from fishing, hunting, hiking. I enjoy skiing in winter, but really not a attraction other than being outdoors in winter.
Even your diet changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I know of some Texans that left because of the heat.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:47 PM

1,260 posts, read 991,362 times
If I could get summer year round, I definitely would. I like listening to birds, spring peepers and crickets. I like the sound of kids playing outside and lawnmowers, watching the fire flies and bats at night and the smell of someone grilling outside and fresh cut grass.

Then winter rolls around, and everything is silent, dead and ugly. The roads turn white, the snow banks turn brown, your car is covered in dried salt, your windows are iced over in the morning.

And no I would never get bored because the weather is always warm. I may occasionally make a trip up to the mountains to see some snow, but after a few days of that, I'd be all set.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 07-19-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 PM

6,138 posts, read 3,453,754 times
I'm starting to get tired of this heatwave. Fall will be much welcome.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 AM

3,828 posts, read 1,613,887 times
Great thread, but I can't remember if I ever responded to it, lol. It's pretty old. If seasons are overrated or not, I guess depends on the person. I personally love 4-seasons. I love each one for various reasons. I live in the Charlotte area. In the Summer, there are lots of outdoor activities. It can get pretty hot/humid (as do many areas in the country in the Summer), but it really doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't stop most people from getting out and about. I was at Carolina Harbor Waterpark last week during this heat wave and it felt great. Trips to the beach and mountains are fun........Winters can occasionally get cold, but are very tolerable. We get snow each Winter, but it's gone within a few days and isn't around long enough to get tired of it. I love snow, but not huge amounts. The Christmas season "feels" like Christmas, with that crispness in the air........ Springs and Falls are long, enjoyable, and just glorious. Very comfortable and bright sunshine. Each season has its own clothing, activities, and offers variety. Though I can understand why someone would like one or two season climates, I prefer getting to experience all four seasons each year.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 AM

45,593 posts, read 36,668,588 times
I really like the Charlotte area.

No place is perfect in my opinion, but I do like the midAtlantic region of our country - I think the weather is generally great there.

Here - I love the mild winters and gorgeous springs, but every summer I hit this brick wall - I am sick of the heat already and it's just the latter portion of July. Thank goodness that in a few days a "cold front" is due to come in and daytime highs are supposed to drop into the 80s, with nighttime lows in the 60s. That's a nice little break for those of us in NE Texas!

Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM

3,828 posts, read 1,613,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really like the Charlotte area.

No place is perfect in my opinion, but I do like the midAtlantic region of our country - I think the weather is generally great there.

Here - I love the mild winters and gorgeous springs, but every summer I hit this brick wall - I am sick of the heat already and it's just the latter portion of July. Thank goodness that in a few days a "cold front" is due to come in and daytime highs are supposed to drop into the 80s, with nighttime lows in the 60s. That's a nice little break for those of us in NE Texas!
Most of the country has been baking for the past month for sure!

Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM

45,593 posts, read 36,668,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Most of the country has been baking for the past month for sure!

Yes, and my daughter lives in Germany, with no AC, and they are baking over there as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or