U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:48 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,161,493 times

Advertisements

I like the 4 seasons and Nashville gets the perfect 4 seasons because the winter is not that long and the fall and spring it feels great although summer and fall can be on the hot side like this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 AM

337 posts, read 303,766 times
I am from and currently live in Erie, PA. I moved to Phoenix, AZ for a short while and have been there for trips several times. I love Phoenix, it's a great city with lots to do, but I could not get over the weather.

Having grown up in a Great Lakes city, I became accustomed to warm summers, cool autumns, snowy winters and rainy springs. I honestly felt the constant sunshine in AZ was a little depressing. I know that sounds stupid, but I just missed the variation in weather.

On the other hand, I don't think I could live in an always cold/winter-like climate zone. I think having four separate seasons always gives you a greater appreciation for each one. Just my opinion, though.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Coming from 9 months of hell down here, 4 seasons sounds great. It shouldn't be shorts weather during winter.
Obviously not everyone agrees with this. I love the fact that I can wear shorts year round here in Phoenix

Old 10-04-2017, 12:11 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Obviously not everyone agrees with this. I love the fact that I can wear shorts year round here in Phoenix
Dry heat is more bearable from what I hear. You can actually cool off in the shade, right?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Dry heat is more bearable from what I hear. You can actually cool off in the shade, right?
If the air temp is below 95 and the dewpoint is below 50, absolutely

Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
Quote:
Theres the problem with our summers in Phoenix... how often is it below 95? Highs in the summer are often much higher than that. Then July hits and we get those high temps coupled with 50+ dew points. The only time of year where its "dry heat" is May, June, and October, which are comfortable, with the exception of June which is scorching hot. Hellishly hot.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Theres the problem with our summers in Phoenix... how often is it below 95? Highs in the summer are often much higher than that. Then July hits and we get those high temps coupled with 50+ dew points. The only time of year where its "dry heat" is May, June, and October, which are comfortable, with the exception of June which is scorching hot. Hellishly hot.
Are dew point and humidity related?

Are you saying that Phoenix gets humid?!

Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 PM

20,096 posts, read 11,147,574 times
When I lived in Honolulu, I guarantee you, I never once missed a snowflake. It was great commuting to work by bicycle on a January morning.

Even down here in Texas, I have never had to spend an hour shoveling heat off my driveway or half an hour chipping heat off my windshield just to get started for work every morning.

I remember one winter in Omaha shoveling snow every single day through a January and a February. Every. Single. Day.

Also in Omaha, there was the October Friday night I went to my second job just as it was beginning to snow heavily. It snowed heavily all that night and the next--I was stuck at work from Friday night to early Monday morning, and the drive home that should have taken twenty minutes took three hours. Power was out for many residents for three weeks.

I don't have to bundle up against death just to go outside--it gets hot, but if my car were to stop on the road, I'd be doing something really wrong to die from heatstroke as quickly as I might die from hypothermia.

I've gotten frostbite changing a tire in 30-degree weather; I've changed a tire in 110 degree weather and only gotten really sweaty.

I get in my car, turn on the A/C, and the heat no longer affects me. I do not have to worry about getting stuck in the heat or skidding on the heat or sliding into a heat bank. Nobody else is going to skid on the heat into me, either.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Are dew point and humidity related?

Are you saying that Phoenix gets humid?!
BC likes to exaggerate. We maybe get a handful of days per year where we will see Dallas style humidity, and mainly in the mornings at that (most summer days, our lowest dewpoints occur in the afternoon.)

Our average dewpoint in July is 58, 62 in August and 56 in September. In comparison, Miami's average dewpoint in July is 75, Houston's is 74 and Dallas's is 71. So we are certainly drier than anywhere back east even in our "humid" season

Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,278,751 times
Quote:
BC likes to exaggerate. We maybe get a handful of days per year where we will see Dallas style humidity, and mainly in the mornings at that (most summer days, our lowest dewpoints occur in the afternoon.)

Our average dewpoint in July is 58, 62 in August and 56 in September. In comparison, Miami's average dewpoint in July is 75, Houston's is 74 and Dallas's is 71. So we are certainly drier than anywhere back east even in our "humid" season
That same scenario plays out in Dallas during summer as well; muggy mornings give way to drier afternoons due to mixing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or