U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 01:12 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
When and why did the thread get dreailed from a discussion about changing seasons being overrated, to pages and pages about mosquitoes, cockroaches and bats?
You missed the pages and pages on coconuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 PM

1,256 posts, read 542,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You missed the pages and pages on coconuts.
I heard about the coconut man on another thread .... same one?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Probably. It’s hard to imagine there are two such coconut fanatics lurking among these forums.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Oooops - another typo!

Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Probably. It’s hard to imagine there are two such coconuts fanciers lurking among these forums.
I should hope not! Yikes.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:06 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
When and why did the thread get dreailed from a discussion about changing seasons being overrated, to pages and pages about mosquitoes, cockroaches and bats?

Don't forget coconuts lmao! I came back to this thread this morning because I woke up from a dream where I was eating coconuts in Miami with my mom.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM

How about a post on the change of seasons?

I was raised in Delaware and since then have lived in 6 other states, spending 26 years in Houston before moving to Philly about 6 years ago. I am glad to be back in an area which features four distinct seasons after all that time in Houston.

While I initially enjoyed the novelty of playing tennis on Christmas day and got a charge out of the palm trees incongruously wrapped in holiday lights, as the years there passed, I realized how much I missed the four seasons. To alleviate that a bit, my husband and I started making annual trips to Maine in early October the last 10 or so years we lived in Houston. Having moved to Philly, we still make the trip, but are now able to drive our own car rather than having to fly into Boston and pick up a rental car.

I am happy to be back in a state where fall once again means apple cider, crisp weather and fall colors. What I failed to remember while I lived in Houston, however, was how wonderful spring is back east. That's because in Houston, spring was not a particularly welcome event, at least by me. Let me explain why. Houston is fairly green year-round because the city is blessed with a canopy of beautiful evergreen live oaks. Unlike tress in the northeast, however, live oaks actually shed their leaves in the spring. The lawns and streets are covered with the browning leaves - covered. It is really autumn in reverse.

To make matters worse, as part of this shedding process, the trees also drop pollen “tassels.” Anything left outside over an hour is covered with a dusting of mustard covered pollen, and the dropped tassels turn into a sort of soggy and slippery brown "mush" upon the first rain. IMO, spring in Houston boiled down to be little more than a few pollen-filled weeks when we braced ourselves for the wall of heat and humidity that was about to bear down on us for the next 6 months.

On the other hand, I once again experience spring as a re-birth now that I'm back east. Here in Philadelphia, the cherry blossoms bloom, and the dormant deciduous tress (maples, oaks, sycamores, elms, hickories, sycamore, gums, etc.) take on the slightest green tint as they slowly bud and mature to a deep rich forest green. Baseball returns! A kind of hum fills the parks, as people want to linger rather than return to work. The tourists fill the double decker busses running everywhere. The outdoor cafes are SRO. And rather than being a precursor to a long and unrelenting summer of high heat and humidity, spring in the east ushers in a season of picnics, fireworks, boardwalk strolls and lounging in Adirondack chairs while watching the fireflies at dusk.

Finally, I know I am a bit of an outlier, but I actually prefer winter to summer. I don't mind bundling up to keep warm (it sure beats sweating in the shade), and I see a beauty in the parks as the trees are resting up for their spring renewal. As for snow, the more the better (I can say this because I live in a building where I don't have to shovel - a conscious choice, btw). But seriously, I'll take this over an August afternoon in Houston without hesitation:

(my pic)

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-20-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
How about a post on the change of seasons?

I was raised in Delaware and since then have lived in 6 other states, spending 26 years in Houston before moving to Philly about 6 years ago. I am glad to be back in an area which features four distinct seasons after all that time in Houston.

While I initially enjoyed the novelty of playing tennis on Christmas day and got a charge out of the palm trees incongruously wrapped in holiday lights, as the years there passed, I realized how much I missed the four seasons. To alleviate that a bit, my husband and I started making annual trips to Maine in early October the last 10 or so years we lived in Houston. Having moved to Philly, we still make the trip, but are now able to drive our own car rather than having to fly into Boston and pick up a rental car.

I am happy to be back in a state where fall once again means apple cider, crisp weather and fall colors. What I failed to remember while I lived in Houston, however, was how wonderful spring is back east. That's because in Houston, spring was not a particularly welcome event, at least by me. Let me explain why. Houston is fairly green year-round because the city is blessed with a canopy of beautiful evergreen live oaks. Unlike tress in the northeast, however, live oaks actually shed their leaves in the spring. The lawns and streets are covered with the browning leaves - covered. It is really autumn in reverse.

To make matters worse, as part of this shedding process, the trees also drop pollen “tassels.” Anything left outside over an hour is covered with a dusting of mustard covered pollen, and the dropped tassels turn into a sort of soggy and slippery brown "mush" upon the first rain. IMO, spring in Houston boiled down to be little more than a few pollen-filled weeks when we braced ourselves for the wall of heat and humidity that was about to bear down on us for the next 6 months.

On the other hand, I once again experience spring as a re-birth now that I'm back east. Here in Philadelphia, the cherry blossoms bloom, and the dormant deciduous tress (maples, oaks, sycamores, elms, hickories, sycamore, gums, etc.) take on the slightest green tint as they slowly bud and mature to a deep rich forest green. Baseball returns! A kind of hum fills the parks, as people want to linger rather than return to work. The tourists fill the double decker busses running everywhere. The outdoor cafes are SRO. And rather than being a precursor to a long and unrelenting summer of high heat and humidity, spring in the east ushers in a season of picnics, fireworks, boardwalk strolls and lounging in Adirondack chairs while watching the fireflies at dusk.

Finally, I know I am a bit of an outlier, but I actually prefer winter to summer. I don't mind bundling up to keep warm (it sure beats sweating in the shade), and I see a beauty in the parks as the trees are resting up for their spring renewal. As for snow, the more the better (I can say this because I live in a building where I don't have to shovel - a conscious choice, btw). But seriously, I'll take this over an August afternoon in Houston without hesitation:

(my pic)
As a Michigan transplant currently stuck in South Mississippi, your post makes me cry.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,281,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Lol you obviously don't know me if you think I never stay up late at night
There's a difference between actually being outside in the night vs just being up late in your bedroom on the internet.

Quote:
Nope. The topic about insects was brought up long before I made my posts about it. It only carried on as it did because people were too clueless to understand the points.

Quote:
Probably. It’s hard to imagine there are two such coconut fanatics lurking among these forums.
Go to the Weather Forum to see plenty of them.

Last edited by Texyn; 10-20-2017 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
There's a difference between actually being outside in the night vs just being up late in your bedroom on the internet.

Nope. The topic about insects was brought up long before I made my posts about it. It only carried on as it did because people were too clueless to understand the points.

Go to the Weather Forum to see plenty of them.
Haha, funny, but I am actually very outdoorsy. Still never seen a bat. Seen a bunch of opossums and other critters. Never a bat.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:56 PM

25,019 posts, read 23,916,326 times
I missed the whole bug and coconut thing, but I have seen bats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or