U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM
 
329 posts, read 202,036 times
Reputation: 579

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Honestly this is how most of this October went this year up in the Northeast.

Ragweed, huh? I was wondering what has been making me miserable the last month or so while staying in PA. Even the cedar in central Texas doesn't bother me like this ragweed does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2017, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,256 posts, read 541,956 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Honestly this is how most of this October went this year up in the Northeast.
The sub-tropical humidity down here is another thing that has to be experienced in order to be understood. Especially for us here on the Gulf...it is just not the same up north. I can breathe up North. It's stifling down here. If you ask me, paradise is overrated!

Current temp: 80 degrees
Current humidity: 84%

Last edited by SouthernProper; 10-21-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,280,275 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post



Nail on head!
Not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
The sub-tropical humidity down here is another thing that has to be experienced in order to be understood. Especially for us here on the Gulf...it is just not the same up north. I can breathe up North. It's stifling down here. If you ask me, paradise is overrated!

Current temp: 80 degrees
Current humidity: 84%
On the bright side, the average air quality along the Gulf is cleaner than in much of the rest of this country:

http://theconversation.com/the-parad...tandards-59300
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
South Florida does have a change of seasons. You have the cool(er) drier season and the wet/hot hurricane season. The change of temperature and humidity (especially at night) is quite noticeable. You don't need it to snow for there to be a change of season.

South Florida is nothing like the equatorial climates which will only vary by a couple degrees from their hottest to their coldest month.
SoFla has a change of seasons in the most bare minimum definition. There's hardly an autumnal transition. Miami's average low in September and October is in the 70s. The change is too subtle. And the vegetation changes even less. Most boring place for experiencing the seasons. I am not asking for snow but it woulda been nice to have cool fall nights and some foliage. Gainesville and above is where Florida does have noticeable seasonal differences but it's still overall warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 PM
 
377 posts, read 202,194 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
SoFla has a change of seasons in the most bare minimum definition. There's hardly an autumnal transition. Miami's average low in September and October is in the 70s. The change is too subtle. And the vegetation changes even less. Most boring place for experiencing the seasons. I am not asking for snow but it woulda been nice to have cool fall nights and some foliage. Gainesville and above is where Florida does have noticeable seasonal differences but it's still overall warm.
Miami has two seasons, not 4 like the midwest. Miami's summer pattern lasts until November, and begins in May. From November to May, Miami is noticeably cooler especially at night. I usually need at least a sweater to stay on my balcony come night time those months. From May to November, Miami is pretty much warm 24/7, unless its raining, and you will not get a relief no matter what time of the day it is. This is excluding cold snaps, which makes the seasons even more pronounced.

So basically I consider Miami a 2-seasonal climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 08:14 PM
 
377 posts, read 202,194 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
ETA: Current temp is 80 degrees - for the end of October, that's hot.
The 10 day forecast is mostly 70's with a low of 67 one day - during a cold front which won't last. Safe to say, it will still be in the 80's come November.
I don't know why you're just focusing on the daytime high, which is achieved only in a small window during the day. If you have a forecast that says the high is 80F and the low is 55F, this means the vast majority of the day is between 60 and 75 degrees.

Your 8-day forecast:

82/74 {today}, 80/64, 75/56, 74/49, 69/52, 73/62, 76/60, 67/45.

We can disagree I guess but that's not a forecast that indicates summer to me. Not even for Michigan standards.

Also, I think of temperatures in absolute terms not relative based on what you think the temperature should be. 80 degrees is never hot, it's possibly warm depending on humidity, breeze and sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Miami has two seasons, not 4 like the midwest. Miami's summer pattern lasts until November, and begins in May. From November to May, Miami is noticeably cooler especially at night. I usually need at least a sweater to stay on my balcony come night time those months. From May to November, Miami is pretty much warm 24/7, unless its raining, and you will not get a relief no matter what time of the day it is. This is excluding cold snaps, which makes the seasons even more pronounced.

So basically I consider Miami a 2-seasonal climate.
Aside from 2010 and maybe early 2011 I feel Miami has been way too warm in the winter. Growing up as a kid in the 90s and 2000s I remember winters were a lot colder. I remember chilly weather (40s) to not be so rare in December. The last winters I lived down there were such busts, especially December. I don't remember the last time I had a cool Christmas down there tbh let alone a moderately cold one.

Btw Miami is extremely warm even when it rains. In fact cold rain is rare down there. One of the worst humid heat experiences I remember was in the school bus on an October morning when it was 78 and drizzling. Much of the year the weather is for frogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I don't know why you're just focusing on the daytime high, which is achieved only in a small window during the day. If you have a forecast that says the high is 80F and the low is 55F, this means the vast majority of the day is between 60 and 75 degrees.

Your 8-day forecast:

82/74 {today}, 80/64, 75/56, 74/49, 69/52, 73/62, 76/60, 67/45.

We can disagree I guess but that's not a forecast that indicates summer to me. Not even for Michigan standards.

Also, I think of temperatures in absolute terms not relative based on what you think the temperature should be. 80 degrees is never hot, it's possibly warm depending on humidity, breeze and sun.
Yea I would certainly consider that fall weather especially for the South. The days are pretty warm but most of the nights are cool and refreshing. Shoot even up here we don't normally get a low of 45 until September. The other lows are typical here in the summer but not in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 PM
 
377 posts, read 202,194 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Btw Miami is extremely warm even when it rains. In fact cold rain is rare down there. One of the worst humid heat experiences I remember was in the school bus on an October morning when it was 78 and drizzling. Much of the year the weather is for frogs!
Well, if you have a downpour then it cools things off temporarily. The temperature will drop by about 10 degrees F, and the air will feel much less humid and refreshing. You live for those days in the summer because they do make things a lot more refreshing. But that's about it, nothing else will cool off Miami in the summer. Even at the crack of dawn it's still warm/hot. This is in contrast to the winter months where if it's cloudy, rainy, or during a cold snap it's somewhere between comfortable to chilly/cold.

A drizzle is really not what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 03:09 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
you don't know what to "where"?

well, I like seasons but I just don't like winter (anything below 10C/50F). Actually Sept to Mid Oct is my favourite time of the year.

Year long warm climate is cool since you don't have to worry about changing clothes. But Texas and Floria is not warm in the summer - that is too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top