U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 03:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,254,868 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New England and now I live in Malaysia. The one thing the change of seasons does for me is give me a sense of time that I don't have here in the the tropics. I used to be able to judge time and events in my past by how cold or hot the weather was. "Remember the winter where we..." or "Remember that heat wave in July of...".

In Malaysia it's always hot, humid and usually rainy. I've been here for years and I still find it difficult to gauge past events because I have no way to associate it with temperature or weather patterns. The only exception to this rule is whenever we get a exceptionally hazy dry season, but that only happens every couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 AM

377 posts, read 202,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I grew up in New England and now I live in Malaysia. The one thing the change of seasons does for me is give me a sense of time that I don't have here in the the tropics. I used to be able to judge time and events in my past by how cold or hot the weather was. "Remember the winter where we..." or "Remember that heat wave in July of...".

In Malaysia it's always hot, humid and usually rainy. I've been here for years and I still find it difficult to gauge past events because I have no way to associate it with temperature or weather patterns. The only exception to this rule is whenever we get a exceptionally hazy dry season, but that only happens every couple of years.
Funny, because I was just in Kuala Lumpur. Staying at Traders Hotel right below the famous Skybar.

I'm currently based out of Singapore, but I travel a lot. One thing I like about the tropics is consistency. When I return, it's always the same. I don't need to check the forecast. But I cannot imagine living there365 days of the year, you need vacations to colder places to stay sane. I have some property in Zermatt, Switzerland and will be going there this December for a long vacation to 'rebalance.'

What I notice is that the longer I live in hot and humid climates my tolerance for heat goes down and my tolerance for cold goes up. But after a couple of weeks in that colder climate, I become a baby again and want to run back to the warmth. Ultimately I prefer warmer weather over cold, but it's so nice when you have options. Variety is the spice of life.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:07 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Well, if you have a downpour then it cools things off temporarily. The temperature will drop by about 10 degrees F, and the air will feel much less humid and refreshing. You live for those days in the summer because they do make things a lot more refreshing. But that's about it, nothing else will cool off Miami in the summer. Even at the crack of dawn it's still warm/hot. This is in contrast to the winter months where if it's cloudy, rainy, or during a cold snap it's somewhere between comfortable to chilly/cold.

A drizzle is really not what I'm talking about.

Ehh the downpours don't cool it down that much. I enjoy them because I love the rain but they rarely bring the temp under 80 in Summer. Sure they may cool it from 93 to 81 but 81 is still hot. And after it rains it gets hotter again and is very humid.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you don't know what to "where"?

well, I like seasons but I just don't like winter (anything below 10C/50F). Actually Sept to Mid Oct is my favourite time of the year.

Year long warm climate is cool since you don't have to worry about changing clothes. But Texas and Floria is not warm in the summer - that is too hot.
"Changing clothes" is one of the benefits, imo. I love wearing cozy sweaters, hats and scarves. I also love the ability to go sleeveless or shirtless in summer. Changing outfits around the year keeps it from feeling monotonous. In Miami, women wait for the temperature to dip under 70 to break out the boots and scarves. It's ridiculous lol but they don't get to wear them often.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:17 AM

377 posts, read 202,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Ehh the downpours don't cool it down that much. I enjoy them because I love the rain but they rarely bring the temp under 80 in Summer. Sure they may cool it from 93 to 81 but 81 is still hot. And after it rains it gets hotter again and is very humid.
It's very noticeable for me, the breeze from these storms feels cold. And I keep a thermometer on my balcony, I have seen these storms drop the temperature into the 70s from the 90s.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM

406 posts, read 288,309 times
Just noticed I wrote "where" instead of "wear" LOL! Sorry everyone

Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,254,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Funny, because I was just in Kuala Lumpur. Staying at Traders Hotel right below the famous Skybar.

I'm currently based out of Singapore, but I travel a lot. One thing I like about the tropics is consistency. When I return, it's always the same. I don't need to check the forecast. But I cannot imagine living there365 days of the year, you need vacations to colder places to stay sane. I have some property in Zermatt, Switzerland and will be going there this December for a long vacation to 'rebalance.'

What I notice is that the longer I live in hot and humid climates my tolerance for heat goes down and my tolerance for cold goes up. But after a couple of weeks in that colder climate, I become a baby again and want to run back to the warmth. Ultimately I prefer warmer weather over cold, but it's so nice when you have options. Variety is the spice of life.
I find that I'm far more sensitive to slight changes in temperature now. The last two weeks or so have been in the mid to high 90s (normally it's in the low 90s), but the difference feels much greater.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Is this overrated?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=25s&v=v9ObdkAKtsg

Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Nope. That video shows whats wonderful about a northern city in the fall. My personal favourites are city parks and orange ivy on walls.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 PM

6,483 posts, read 4,072,991 times
The question for those of us who are not big four-seasons fans is not whether fall in the north can be beautiful, it's whether it's worth putting up with some of the other seasons in exchange for a few weeks of fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or