U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 12:58 PM

6,854 posts, read 7,802,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I prefer meteorological. But that's all beside the point, which was fall foliage. I believe I stated that the glorious fall foliage lasts only a few weeks. I think most people, whatever their location, would agree that it does not last for three months and certainly not from September 1 to Christmas.
No. No one is claiming that.

Now that that’s been cleared up, let’s look at your originating post I responded to:
Quote:
The question for those of us who are not big four-seasons fans is not whether fall in the north can be beautiful, it's whether it's worth putting up with some of the other seasons in exchange for a few weeks of fall.
If the question is whether “those of us who are not big four-seasons fans” would enjoy a robust fall, the answer is by definition “ No.” But your post didn’t even reference foliage. You claimed that fall is just a few weeks (bolded above). Fall is a 3 full months no matter how you slice it, and for those of us who love autumn, the foliage is only a part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:05 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,079,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Now that that’s been cleared up, let’s look at your originating post I responded to:

If the question is whether “those of us who are not big four-seasons fans” would enjoy a robust fall, the answer is by definition “No.” But your post didn’t even reference foliage. You claimed that fall is just a few weeks (bolded above). Fall is a 3 full months no matter how you slice it, and for those of us who love autumn, the foliage is only a part of it.
I think you misunderstood that post. I was referring to the post directly above mine (#289), which was a short video of fall foliage in Philadelphia and the caption "That video shows what's wonderful about a northern city in the fall."

It was all about the foliage. My mistake for not actually quoting the previous post to put my opinion into context.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM

6,854 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood that post. I was referring to the post directly above mine (#289), which was a short video of fall foliage in Philadelphia and the caption "That video shows what's wonderful about a northern city in the fall."

It was all about the foliage. My mistake for not actually quoting the previous post to put my opinion into context.
Oh well, we’ve spent a lot of time on this. So it goes. Cheers!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Oh well, we’ve spent a lot of time on this. So it goes. Cheers!
Enjoy the season!

Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
I don't know why the leaves have to fall off after they're done turning, they could just stay that color and turn back to green in the spring and save the hassle of having to pick them up, someone (cough, cough) screwed up big time on that.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Doesn't Minneapolis have highs in the 30s the whole second half of November?
Not sure when average highs in the 30s start but I would assume yes, second half of November. I wouldn't say entire second half. Average high for November is still in the 40s. Anyway the beginning of the month is still very autumnal. Of course seasons are transitional anyway. This weekend we are starting to get the first snow but I bet it will warm up a few times afterwards before the real cold sets in.

I look forward for that frosty taste before winter. I would prefer it after Halloween but oh well as long as it comes!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:14 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
I prefer meteorological. But that's all beside the point, which was fall foliage. I believe I stated that the glorious fall foliage lasts only a few weeks. I think most people, whatever their location, would agree that it does not last for three months and certainly not from September 1 to Christmas.
I prefer the meteorological definition as well as it's more logical and neat. (Seriously, December is not fall!) However I disagree the foliage lasts only a few weeks. What do you consider a few weeks? The foliage in my experience lasts at least a month because again, not all trees change at once. And it's not just the foliage. It's also the first cool days, that back to school vibe, the holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving, football games, bonfires, hayrides, apple picking, pumpkin patches, fresh pies, autumn harvests etc. etc.

Btw I never been to a Miami pumpkin patch but I seen pictures of my goddaughter at one. It's so off putting with palm trees and everyone in shorts lol I would rather go to Publix and buy one at least the temperature would be cooler! It just ain't right!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I prefer the meteorological definition as well as it's more logical and neat. (Seriously, December is not fall!) However I disagree the foliage lasts only a few weeks. What do you consider a few weeks?
Well, since you asked, about 3-4 weeks. Every "four seasons" place I've visited--granted, I haven't been everywhere--had no more than 3-4 weeks of really noticeable fall foliage. I'm sure you can make it last longer by driving around.

By way of contrast, when I spent some time in Michigan, the fall foliage show was over by the end of October. It started snowing in the middle of November. It continued to snow off and on in December, January, February, and March, and the locals were disgusted when it snowed again on April 1.

So, in this particular location, we got about three weeks of fall foliage versus 4.5 months of snow. Even if you love snow, you have to admit that is a tiny bit of fall color to balance out an awful lot of snow.

Maybe it was a particularly cold year.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,868,792 times
Quote:
Well, since you asked, about 3-4 weeks. Every "four seasons" place I've visited--granted, I haven't been everywhere--had no more than 3-4 weeks of really noticeable fall foliage. I'm sure you can make it last longer by driving around.

By way of contrast, when I spent some time in Michigan, the fall foliage show was over by the end of October. It started snowing in the middle of November. It continued to snow off and on in December, January, February, and March, and the locals were disgusted when it snowed again on April 1.

So, in this particular location, we got three weeks of fall foliage versus 4.5 months of snow. Even if you love snow, you have to admit that is a tiny bit of fall color to balance out an awful lot of snow.

Maybe it was a particularly cold year.
The year I left Rochester, NY, we had had a brutal much colder than average winter, and when we then had a blizzard on April 1st, I was sure I had made the right decision to leave. I never want to see snow again

Old 10-24-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And it's not just the foliage. It's also the first cool days, that back to school vibe, the holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving, football games, bonfires, hayrides, apple picking, pumpkin patches, fresh pies, autumn harvests etc. etc.

Btw I never been to a Miami pumpkin patch but I seen pictures of my goddaughter at one. It's so off putting with palm trees and everyone in shorts lol I would rather go to Publix and buy one at least the temperature would be cooler! It just ain't right!
I think it's important for four-seasons people to realize that people in less seasonally favored climates still enjoy most or all of the cultural activities associated with the seasons just as much. We still go back to school, celebrate holidays, eat seasonal foods, etc. The fact that our weather doesn't jive with what you consider "right" for the time of year doesn't make those activities any less enjoyable for us.

And in Australia they celebrate Christmas with a barbecue at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or