U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 06:43 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Canada does have a professional Football league and has some popularity in that country. It is a slightly different style, but it is actually more popular than people may realize.

Football is more popular in the South due to other reasons such as it is a big event for a lot of communities, talent and in turn, investment in the sport.
Doesn't the CFL play during the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Football isn't really supposed to be a cold weather sport.
I enjoy football in cold weather. But I donít have to play it.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's still not the same. Really a football game on an evening in the 80s as opposed to 60s or 50s? You can't pick apples in climates too warm for them. Picking pumpkins in hot humid weather just isn't the same. Drinking hot chocolate when it's only 75 degrees out.

I could tell you that from Decembers growing up in Miami whenever we would get an actual cold night, we (me, my siblings and my dad) would get in the mood to sing Christmas carols and look at the Christmas lights. The chillier air changes the whole aspect. It gets one hyped up for holiday traditions in ways that constant warmth doesn't. I will say the same is true for places that don't have summer. You don't get to enjoy the pool or barbecues or other activities the same way. I love doing things in every season. This past summer I went tubing on a river this coming winter I wanna go snow tubing. Different activities for every season and I want my children to grow up with that because I did not.
Again, agree. I took my kid to "pumpkin patches" in south Texas for a few years and it was 90 degrees. It's odd.

Variety is the spice of life. And speaking of spice, pumpkin spice tastes better when it's cold out.

I like cold weather football better. Beginning of fall, shouldn't be 95 degrees.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:38 AM

56,621 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Doesn't the CFL play during the summer?
Summer into the mid/late Fall. Iíve watched Grey Cups when there was snow on the ground.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)

10,498 posts, read 14,325,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Is it true that the leaves don't really turn colors in the coastal plains in the south, that they just kind of turn brown and fall off the tree?
IMO the fall color in that region is there, it's just more muted.
More or less a feeling of this
https://i.cbc.ca/1.3810259.147725086...all-leaves.jpg
http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-co...-1-700x416.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d5/87/0f/d...all-leaves.jpg
Vs this
https://img1.etsystatic.com/020/0/55...64519_caa4.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dd/a5...c6c94337ea.jpg

Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,282,037 times
The poster said "coastal plains," though. While interior areas of the South certainly can put on good shows (especially in the elevated Appalachian areas), the coastal plain doesn't have much color; most trees are green year-round, and even most of those that do shed go through quick, tropical-pattern replacement cycles.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)

10,498 posts, read 14,325,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The poster said "coastal plains," though. While interior areas of the South certainly can put on good shows (especially in the elevated Appalachian areas), the coastal plain doesn't have much color; most trees are green year-round, and even most of those that do shed go through quick, tropical-pattern replacement cycles.
I'm not talking interior south or the Appalachians. There ARE deciduous trees and shrubs along the coast, they just don't tend to put on a vibrant colorful show in the way people typically think of fall foliage. I've had family in Mobile for over twenty years, they do experience a fall foliage change, just not much of one.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:25 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
I think it’s still nice, particularly in comparison with the gulf coast. The red foliage is most often associated with maples in the fall. Also, a moist growing season followed by cool sunny days in the fall with cold overnight temperatures produce the most brilliant foliage. We go to Maine every October so we keep an eye on the temperatures.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 830,551 times
Are "change of seasons" overrated?

No they are not! Absolutely not. If anything they are underrated.
I never realized how great they are until I did not have them any longer and now I miss them greatly.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:19 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Are "change of seasons" overrated?

No they are not! Absolutely not. If anything they are underrated.
I never realized how great they are until I did not have them any longer and now I miss them greatly.
Where do you live now that "doesn't have seasons"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or