U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,407,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But in much of the south, Friday night football is pretty dang chilly at night. I've gone to hundreds of high school football games in northeast Texas and in Georgia, and spent many a night bundled up with scarf, hat, gloves, etc. freezing my butt off! But I freely admit to freezing my butt off in 45 degrees - LOL.
Right. Most of the south is not Florida weather. My first high school football game in Texas started off around 60 so just cool but by the end of the game it was cold enough to see our breath. Also, I can tell you as someone who was a college mascot, I'd rather wear that big old mask in the cold than heat, any day!! Thankfully I was only in the cheer team for the basketball season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 02:59 PM

329 posts, read 202,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep. It seemed my last 15 years in Texas, I kept saying "ok, this is way too hot. Time to relocate." I finally did.

The dread usually started in late April when the heat would be close to 90 at times.

I know that dread well. Used to creep on me late April to mid May. It seemed like having SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in reverse for me.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:07 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,407,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
I know that dread well. Used to creep on me late April to mid May. It seemed like having SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in reverse for me.
I actually don't mind the first half of summer in Texas all that much. June 1st to my birthday (July 16th) is generally not that bad. I actually find it kinda exciting when we have the first 100 degree day. Its late July through August that sucks, and if September is still really hot, even more. This October has been really nice for North Texas, though, they even got a freeze.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,798,375 times
I like some variation but I'd rather have no variation than too much.

The Oregon and Washington coastline and immediate area has my ideal "4 seasons" climate. Yes, in my books, places like Portland and Seattle have 4 seasons. Fyi, even the Pacific Northwest exhibits greater variation than most of Western Europe, and yet, Western Europe is considered a temperate climate with 4 seasons (see: Does most of Western Europe (outside of Scandinavia) have seasons?)

Old 10-30-2017, 08:06 PM

377 posts, read 203,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I like some variation but I'd rather have no variation than too much.

The Oregon and Washington coastline and immediate area has my ideal "4 seasons" climate. Yes, in my books, places like Portland and Seattle have 4 seasons. Fyi, even the Pacific Northwest exhibits greater variation than most of Western Europe, and yet, Western Europe is considered a temperate climate with 4 seasons (see: Does most of Western Europe (outside of Scandinavia) have seasons?)
I think in just about anyone's book, the PNW has 4 seasons. Who thinks they don't have 4 seasons?

And Western Europe is a big place with many different climates. You have oceanic climates in UK and Atlantic coastal regions, mediterranean climates along the mediterranean coastline, arid and hot climates in parts of Spain, subartic and artic climates in much of Scandinavia, continental climates in Germany, and some humid subtropical climates in parts of Italy.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 PM

45,148 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I do think where a person grows up greatly influence one’s weather tolerance. I grew up in Delaware, and when it snowed, we went sledding, built snowmen and had snowball fights. When the temps stayed below freezing long enough, we went ice skating on the local ponds. As you might imagine, winter could be quite fun.

Conversely, I can imagine someone growing up in NOLA, playing outside during the long summer, would develop a great deal more tolerance for heat and humidity than someone from more temperate climates. We accept things as they are when we’re children, and take them to be the norm.
Well, I didn't grow up in NOLA. I grew up in the Tidewater regions of VA and NC and then lived in MD several times as an adult, so that's really what I prefer - three months each of spring, summer, fall and winter with plenty of fall color.

I also spent three years in Japan where the winters are surprisingly harsh (as a child) and a fall and winter in Ohio.

So while I did get a variety of weather experiences, I would say that my formative years of predictable weather were in the Mid Atlantic region which is perfect to me. Maybe it's a bias born of being there during my childhood but to this day I really appreciate four evenly divided seasons. I just want a bit of cold and snow and ice - not three or four months of snow and ice.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM

45,148 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep. It seemed my last 15 years in Texas, I kept saying "ok, this is way too hot. Time to relocate." I finally did.

The dread usually started in late April when the heat would be close to 90 at times.
See, I don't even start to feel hot till it's about 95 degrees, which is in late June or July in Texas - when it's supposed to be hot in my book.

I do admit though to disliking it when it's 65 degrees at Christmas. Of course, it's not always that way - just a few years ago we had a white Christmas here. But last year it was warmish and no, I didn't care for that.

What I do love here is the wet, icy January's and February's - that's about all the cold weather I want and I get to have a fire in the hearth, drink hot tea, all that good stuff - for two months. Then I'm totally over it.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,798,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I think in just about anyone's book, the PNW has 4 seasons. Who thinks they don't have 4 seasons?
Then he would like a word with you: http://www.city-data.com/forum/49055815-post19.html

Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM

I grew up in 4 seasons, my tolerance for heat and cold (psychological tolerance that is) goes inversely up and down by the amount of time I spend in heat and cold respectively. That is, longer I'm in heat the less I can tolerate it and the more I can tolerate the cold. The same is true for cold.

Since I live in a year-round tropical climate, some would say year-round hot and muggy climate. My tolerance for cold is fairly high. Several times when I went skiing, I was the only one to get off the plane in short-sleeves when the temperature was hovering around 0 or even minus centigrade. The flight attendants would ask me where I was from jokingly.

However, at times I have to spend months and months in the cold, something changes and I become a wimp. Maybe 3-4 years back I had to spend several months in Minneapolis for work related reasons, during their winter. At first, I was quite intrigued by the -10/-20 temperatures as I had never seen them before. After a month though, I had cranked up my hotel room's thermostat to 80+ degrees. I remember meeting a coworker at his home and feeling deathly cold, I had to put on my jacket. His thermostat was set to 70 degrees and he looked at me with a lot of incredulity.

Based on my own experiences, I'd say tolerance for heat and cold is part of physical but also psychological.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Then he would like a word with you: http://www.city-data.com/forum/49055815-post19.html
How do I know he's not trolling? Have you met anyone in real life who thinks the PNW doesn't have 4 seasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or