U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 03:55 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,630,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
I want it hot year round. 90 everyday would be just about right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 05:18 PM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
I love the seasons. I love the cycle of the year and the things each season offers. I grew up in Southern New England. I lived in So Cal for ten years, and honestly, the constant sunshine and lack of variety got on my nerves after a while..even though there were subtle seasons, it wasn't enough. Now, after being back in NE for a while (15 years), I've noticed the seasons, and general climate, are changing. At least in New England. The weather has been wackadoo, especially over the last 5 years. Winter comes later, with unusually warm days scattered in. A few years ago we had one of our snowiest Winters ever, but it all came in a 6 week period in late January, not a flake until that and not one after. That was a short 6 week, but fierce, Winter. It was weird. That was the year Boston had to dump snow in the harbor because there was no place else to put it all. Then, a couple years ago it was 70 degrees on Christmas. Unheard of when I was a kid. Last year we hit 80 degrees in FEBRUARY ..for 2 days .. then it snowed like hell and we went into Winter for the rest of the month. I love weather.

Last edited by mvpsharky; 10-04-2017 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 PM

596 posts, read 675,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ahhh I don't know how dew point relates to feel but I get the general picture.
Dew point is the temperature where the air is holding all the moisture it can. When the air temperature matches the dew point, dew forms on the grass on the ground and your car, among other places. If the air temperature is below freezing, frost forms instead.

When people mention humidity, they are normally talking about relative humidity. "The relative humidity is at 70% today!" What that actually means is that the air is holding 70% of the maximum amount of water vapor that it could hold at the current air temperature.

The dew point is the more accurate method of measuring humidity and the resulting comfort (or discomfort) level. Generally, if the dew point is

>55 Pleasant
56-60 Comfortable
61-65 Sticky
66-70 Uncomfortable
71-75 Oppressive
76+ Miserable

More info here: News 8 Weather Blog: DEW POINT - THE BEST INDICATOR OF COMFORT

Old 10-04-2017, 05:53 PM

596 posts, read 675,928 times
Four seasons overrated? No, weather preferences are individual preferences and there is no wrong answer. What is overrated to one may be another person's dream climate.

I grew up with four seasons and would love to experience them again. After 22 years in Texas, four seasons sound heavenly.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:33 PM

721 posts, read 298,887 times
Quote:
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

I agree completely. The changing seasons are way over rated. Summer is the best season, so why would you want any others?

Florida and Texas actually don't have year long summers though, contrary to popular belief. January and February can get pretty chilly down here in Florida, and Texas can get snow. SoCal can have days or weeks of summer weather at any point of the year, but it can also have gloomy days or weeks at any time of year, so it doesn't really have year long summer either. The only state that does is Hawaii.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:36 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,460,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
I agree completely. The changing seasons are way over rated. Summer is the best season, so why would you want any others?
That's like saying steak is the best meal, why would you want any others? The best aspects of summer are the vacation time and laid back vibe, not necessarily the weather which is often too hot or humid many places. Which is why people spend most of their summer time in air conditioned places. But people have to go back to work eventually and the rat race continues. The perfect season for me would be if summer had the weather we get in late September/ early October.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 AM

74 posts, read 51,380 times
I was raised in SoCal (and live there still) and always wondered why poets droned on about spring. What's the big deal? Then I was back east during a fall, winter and SPRING and I suddenly understood the beauty and miracle of spring. I think I would have enjoyed living in four seasons in my younger years - there's something about the constant life cycle of changes that attracts me, but the thought of slipping on the ice is less attractive and will keep me in a somewhat seasonless climate.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:51 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesteren View Post
I was raised in SoCal (and live there still) and always wondered why poets droned on about spring. What's the big deal? Then I was back east during a fall, winter and SPRING and I suddenly understood the beauty and miracle of spring. I think I would have enjoyed living in four seasons in my younger years - there's something about the constant life cycle of changes that attracts me, but the thought of slipping on the ice is less attractive and will keep me in a somewhat seasonless climate.

there is absolutely something magical about spring coming out of winter

its like watching life form in a sense and the energy of the place can even take that on

Fall can also do that, the first bit of crisp air

Living in the NE to me Fall and Spring are the best two seasons

Like everything else it has its pluses and minuses

Summers can be very hot and winters grey and cold etc.

SOCAL has unbelievable weather especially closer to the coasts yet I often wonder if with that is a loss of weather appreciation if that makes sense

Mostly people can adapt to their environment and in that you get used to some aspects though may still think this 98 hot hazy humid sucks or walking in a brisk wind when its 18 may make you think this sucks etc

I do like the four seasons and the magic of a real spring but also can understand walking on the beach in January in shorts no doubt

as a few have stated a lot is subjective to the person and in many cases people adapt and embrace the good and complain about the bad

One thing that would be personally hard for me being used to 4 seasons is a lack of seasonal feels, especially with the holidays

some things for me

that first bit of crisp air after a summer makes me feel like its football season
A little colder and you are heading from Halloween to Thanksgiving which feels like sweater weather
Christmas is the bringing on of the cold and makes you think of snow
Easterish is the raising of the tulips and the start of the bloom
That firt blast of true heat makes you know summer season (vacation beach shore) has arrived

those I like as you can literally feel them and I like how they frame out the year but again this is what I grew up with and am used to, people can adapt but they are some aspects that make me appreciate the seasons and what they mean and even how they can frame out life and the yearly seasons/cycles

Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
BC likes to exaggerate. We maybe get a handful of days per year where we will see Dallas style humidity, and mainly in the mornings at that (most summer days, our lowest dewpoints occur in the afternoon.)
You say I exaggerate, then go on to verify that we get nasty humid at times.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,730,310 times
Quote:

Disagree completely. The great thing about 4 distinct seasons is because you get sick of either hot weather or cold weather after a while. After 3 or 4 months of weather in the 80's or 90's I simply get sick of it and can't wait until fall. Then, after 3 or 4 months of cold weather I get sick of it and can't wait until spring. Having the same weather for, like, 6 months or more would drive me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or