U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,767,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
How do I know he's not trolling? Have you met anyone in real life who thinks the PNW doesn't have 4 seasons
You tell me, I'm the one whose all confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 09:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
I have mixed feelings as someone who has never lived with four seasons and have dealt with snow only twice in my entire life. As someone who has never lived with it, I don't see why so many people care about it. People who say it's not Christmas if it's not a white Christmas... why is that? Isn't spending time with your family and opening presents the whole thing about Christmas? Not snow? The majority of the WORLD does not see snow. Like 80% of all humans on Earth do not see snow give or take. So many people especially outside of the US would argue it is overrated.

But also as someone who has never lived with it, can't appreciate in true form the dynamics of changing seasons. Fall always seemed like a cool time, with the leaves and all. It might be a nice change, a differentiation from Arizona's constant dry and sunny disposition. But there's also extra maintenance, especially in the winter, that always seemed unappealing. Soon in a couple weeks my car will have frost on it and will take a while to start up, and that seems to annoy me enough. And waking up cold is something I really don't enjoy. Having predictable weather (weather, not temps) does get boring, but its significantly easy to plan for and because of that nothing interferes with my plans. I don't have to deal with getting snowed in, or having kids getting snow days and dealing with that.

Maybe somewhere with a light winter and a longer fall period would be ideal. But I don't really see why so many people care for or require it. So I'm going to have to lean for yes it is overrated.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:03 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I have mixed feelings as someone who has never lived with four seasons and have dealt with snow only twice in my entire life. As someone who has never lived with it, I don't see why so many people care about it. People who say it's not Christmas if it's not a white Christmas... why is that? Isn't spending time with your family and opening presents the whole thing about Christmas? Not snow? The majority of the WORLD does not see snow. Like 80% of all humans on Earth do not see snow give or take. So many people especially outside of the US would argue it is overrated.

But also as someone who has never lived with it, can't appreciate in true form the dynamics of changing seasons. Fall always seemed like a cool time, with the leaves and all. It might be a nice change, a differentiation from Arizona's constant dry and sunny disposition. But there's also extra maintenance, especially in the winter, that always seemed unappealing. Soon in a couple weeks my car will have frost on it and will take a while to start up, and that seems to annoy me enough. And waking up cold is something I really don't enjoy. Having predictable weather (weather, not temps) does get boring, but its significantly easy to plan for and because of that nothing interferes with my plans. I don't have to deal with getting snowed in, or having kids getting snow days and dealing with that.

Maybe somewhere with a light winter and a longer fall period would be ideal. But I don't really see why so many people care for or require it. So I'm going to have to lean for yes it is overrated.
I lived with snow for the first 18 years of my life (not by choice of course), and haven't since. Snow sucks, it's cold, it's heavy and it screws up traffic. If I never see another flake again, I will die happy

Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 AM

44,738 posts, read 36,145,910 times
I enjoy the VERY occasional dusting of snow, which we get here in northeast Texas. We usually get one small snowfall (of about 2 inches) and then we usually get several days of swirling snowflakes with little or no accumulation and that's about how I like it.

One thing I really did enjoy when I lived in Germany though was snow showers - with those big flakes raining down but not much accumulation because the temps were a bit above 32 degrees. I really liked that, so I always enjoy when we get flurries without actual accumulation, which is not nearly as often as in Germany but it's still nice.

I'm all for short, gray days and long, chilly nights and a fire and some hot tea but I want that to last about two months and then be gone. Thankfully I have a garage and I can park inside it so I no longer have to scrape frost off a windshield - that REALLY sucks (and let's not even start on scraping SNOW off a windshield - LOL).

I don't mind cold but I do mind frozen precipitation on a regular basis.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:43 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I didn't grow up in NOLA. I grew up in the Tidewater regions of VA and NC and then lived in MD several times as an adult, so that's really what I prefer - three months each of spring, summer, fall and winter with plenty of fall color.

I also spent three years in Japan where the winters are surprisingly harsh (as a child) and a fall and winter in Ohio.

So while I did get a variety of weather experiences, I would say that my formative years of predictable weather were in the Mid Atlantic region which is perfect to me. Maybe it's a bias born of being there during my childhood but to this day I really appreciate four evenly divided seasons. I just want a bit of cold and snow and ice - not three or four months of snow and ice.
Ooops. I saw this and assumed you grew up in NOLA:
Quote:
I will say though that it can get wretchedly hot in my home town of New Orleans, due to the humidity and high temps. Even then, I love the place.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM

406 posts, read 288,309 times
Quote:
I enjoy the VERY occasional dusting of snow, which we get here in northeast Texas. We usually get one small snowfall (of about 2 inches) and then we usually get several days of swirling snowflakes with little or no accumulation and that's about how I like it.

One thing I really did enjoy when I lived in Germany though was snow showers - with those big flakes raining down but not much accumulation because the temps were a bit above 32 degrees. I really liked that, so I always enjoy when we get flurries without actual accumulation, which is not nearly as often as in Germany but it's still nice.

I'm all for short, gray days and long, chilly nights and a fire and some hot tea but I want that to last about two months and then be gone. Thankfully I have a garage and I can park inside it so I no longer have to scrape frost off a windshield - that REALLY sucks (and let's not even start on scraping SNOW off a windshield - LOL).

I don't mind cold but I do mind frozen precipitation on a regular basis.
Agreed. I don't necessarily like snow, however when those big flakes fall and youre inside and it doesn't stick, it's nice to look at. The WORST is when you look at the forecast and see a single digit with a snowflake symbol, because that means that crap will be there for weeks and will cause traffic, bad parking, shoveling, etc.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Ooops. I saw this and assumed you grew up in NOLA:
Nope. That's where I was born and where many of my relatives live and where I've always gone "back home" but I am a military brat. Sorry if that was confusing.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Nope. That's where I was born and where many of my relatives live and where I've always gone "back home" but I am a military brat. Sorry if that was confusing.
No issue. I’ve lived in 7 states myself (excuse me if I am repeating myself - it’s a symptom of aging ). In each one, I’ve tried to fit in and live like a local - enjoying the food, rooting for the home team, etc. I have a strong aversion to people who move into a new area and complain that this or that is not as good as “back home.”

Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Still . . . ya gotta admit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLu...&v=CqrfnihvypE

Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
No issue. Iíve lived in 7 states myself (excuse me if I am repeating myself - itís a symptom of aging ). In each one, Iíve tried to fit in and live like a local - enjoying the food, rooting for the home team, etc. I have a strong aversion to people who move into a new area and complain that this or that is not as good as ďback home.Ē
Me tooooooo!!!! I have moved so often in my life that I've come to realize that every place has positives and negatives so just embrace the positives and go easy on the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or