U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I hate winter in the PNW where I normally reside. I lived for 18 months in Arequipa, Peru which has essentially perfect weather (to me) every day of the year and didn't miss the brutal heat or cold whatsoever. Now I'm working in Kuwait and I hate the 120F+ summer temps but now that it's in the mid-80's during the day with low humidity, lovin it.

You change of season people (including my wife) I don't understand how you can like weather that requires you to put several layers on and have to deal with frozen roads....I understand some people (again like wife) like Christmas season but it's not for me, hate it.
Two things helped me appreciate winter:

1. In my undergraduate senior year, I joined with 4 other students and rented a farmhouse out in the country 16 miles from campus. I had never lived in the country before. What I found is that without the distractions that filled my daily life, I became much more in touch with the world I live in. Once the leaves were gone, I saw trees and perennials not die off, but store their energy for the spring. One of my housemates and I used to bundle up and take walks in the nearby woods. One time we saw an odd flicker under a small crust of ice, between two rows of fallow farmland near the house. We looked at one another with curiosity, and when we opened up the ice cover to see what was trapped there, a sparrow bolted out. There is a beauty in the stillness of winter that you can only experience if you slow down and open yourself up to it.

2. 26 summers in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:47 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

1. In my undergraduate senior year, I joined with 4 other students and rented a farmhouse out in the country 16 miles from campus. I had never lived in the country before. What I found is that without the distractions that filled my daily life, I became much more in touch with the world I live in. Once the leaves were gone, I saw trees and perennials not die off, but store their energy for the spring. One of my housemates and I used to bundle up and take walks in the nearby woods. One time we saw an odd flicker under a small crust of ice, between two rows of fallow farmland near the house. We looked at one another with curiosity, and when we opened up the ice cover to see what was trapped there, a sparrow bolted out. There is a beauty in the stillness of winter that you can only experience if you slow down and open yourself up to it.

35 in Texas and they all seemed to get progressively longer and harsher.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:

On your first point, I just can't relate to that but I understand some people do.

On your second point, you don't have to have a change of seasons to not have a harsh summer...as I mentioned, I lived in Arequipa, Peru which runs between 70F (21C) to 75F (23.5C) during the day year round and between 40F to 55F for a nightly low year round. Also, San Diego does not have a large change of seasons and doesn't have a harsh summer if you're near the ocean.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 11-10-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
I hate winter in the PNW where I normally reside. I lived for 18 months in Arequipa, Peru which has essentially perfect weather (to me) every day of the year and didn't miss the brutal heat or cold whatsoever. Now I'm working in Kuwait and I hate the 120F+ summer temps but now that it's in the mid-80's during the day with low humidity, lovin it.

You change of season people (including my wife) I don't understand how you can like weather that requires you to put several layers on and have to deal with frozen roads....I understand some people (again like wife) like Christmas season but it's not for me, hate it.

I like wearing cozy winter clothes. I like wearing all kinds of clothes honestly. I wouldn't wanna live in Alaska cuz it's constantly cold but I wouldn't wanna live in Florida again cuz it's constantly hot. Frozen roads are a bigger problem in the PNW because of all the rain. They are not a huge issue in Minnesota. It's 15 degrees now and the roads are fine.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
On your first point, I just can't relate to that but I understand some people do.

On your second point, you don't have to have a change of seasons to not have a harsh summer...as I mentioned, I lived in Arequipa, Peru which runs between 70F (21C) to 75F (23.5C) during the day year round and between 40F to 55F for a nightly low year round. Also, San Diego does not have a large change of seasons and doesn't have a harsh summer if you're near the ocean.
Yes, it is nice you have identified climates you find agreeable.

But my post was about me, not you. And my 26 summers in Houston have significantly contributed to my appreciation of hearty winters.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:

I used to live in a small country town and while I hated the gossip from students (college kids who act like high schoolers) and the town was kind of a dump that had seen better days, I enjoyed going out exploring into the woods. Went in the winter in the snow and saw a beautiful buck just standing there. In the spring it was amazing watching it all turn green. I love where I love now because I am in the city but the nature isn't far away. I think indoorsy people are less likely to appreciate the change of seasons. Lemme tell you there's no such thing as dirty snow in the woods or the country. It's peaceful and most of it is untouched except by the paws and hooves of an occasional critter.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM
IKM

39 posts, read 31,559 times
Fall and spring are OK but can do without winter and prefer a longer summer. Maybe a 2 weeks to a month of winter to kill off some bugs.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,281,185 times
Quote:
You hate Christmas music? Oh no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There's the issue lol he hates Christmas music lol. I LOVE it as long as it's AFTER Thanksgiving. I just love the three months of October, November and December. The three best holidays and I love the nippy weather and transition from fall to winter.
A problem with Christmas music is that commercial networks can make it repetitive: the same song playing multiple times a day, year after year, will get old quite quickly. Made worse by how early it starts in November, and how late past New Years it lasts. I understand that some songs are indeed timeless classics, but still, things need to be spiced up.

The same applies for television broadcasts as well. How many reruns of "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" do we need to see?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I used to live in a small country town and while I hated the gossip from students (college kids who act like high schoolers) and the town was kind of a dump that had seen better days, I enjoyed going out exploring into the woods. Went in the winter in the snow and saw a beautiful buck just standing there. In the spring it was amazing watching it all turn green. I love where I love now because I am in the city but the nature isn't far away. I think indoorsy people are less likely to appreciate the change of seasons. Lemme tell you there's no such thing as dirty snow in the woods or the country. It's peaceful and most of it is untouched except by the paws and hooves of an occasional critter.
I agree - winter is particularly beautiful in the country. And your post reminds me of an observation I’ve made since moving back north. I remembered how much I enjoyed the other three seasons, but I’d been gone too long to remember that spring is actually a beautiful time of the year. When spring comes in Philly, there’s a whole shift in energy. You see the first signs of spring when the trees bud with the faintest of green, while daffodils poke their heads above ground. It’s not long before the tulips and lilies blossom and the trees burst into a full canopy. The subways fill with Phillies fans headed to the ball park (hope springs eternal). On the first beautiful day, people flock to the parks for lunch and the outdoor cafes for happy hour. And they stay there for weeks to come.

In Philly, spring lingers. It doesn’t arrive one day and leave the next. In contrast, my pollen-filled Texas springs were less a time to celebrate but served more as a warning shot that summer is fast on its heels.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:55 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,299 times
I don't love snow but I don't like California and Florida weather/climate either. It is good to get a break from the heat and humidity in the South. I like the winters in TN, it is cold but not too bad. Good sweater weather. 40s and 50s are not bad even 30s if it is sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or