U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 PM

329 posts, read 201,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I agree - winter is particularly beautiful in the country. And your post reminds me of an observation Iíve made since moving back north. I remembered how much I enjoyed the other three seasons, but Iíd been gone too long to remember that spring is actually a beautiful time of the year. When spring comes in Philly, thereís a whole shift in energy. You see the first signs of spring when the trees bud with the faintest of green, while daffodils poke their heads above ground. Itís not long before the tulips and lilies blossom and the trees burst into a full canopy. The subways fill with Phillies fans headed to the ball park (hope springs eternal). On the first beautiful day, people flock to the parks for lunch and the outdoor cafes for happy hour. And they stay there for weeks to come.

In Philly, spring lingers. It doesnít arrive one day and leave the next. In contrast, my pollen-filled Texas springs were less a time to celebrate but served more as a warning shot that summer is fast on its heels.
You have such a descriptive way with words that I appreciate! LOL, on the warning shot of summer in TX! I totally know what you mean!! The pollen is so bad in Austin you need to scrape it off your windshield before you can see to drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:46 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
All October when it was 80+ degrees I was so fed up with the heat and was dying for the temps to cool down!

Well, ****! Now it’s 27 degrees here tonight. 0 to 100 real quick

Old 11-11-2017, 12:54 AM

377 posts, read 202,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
All October when it was 80+ degrees I was so fed up with the heat and was dying for the temps to cool down!

Well, ****! Now itís 27 degrees here tonight. 0 to 100 real quick
That's common enough. There seems to be two kinds of people - people who complain about the weather and those who don't.

I'm in the first category. No matter where I lived for a prolonged period of time, I ended up hating it. 4-seasons? Ugh. Tropical? Hate the heat. Coastal Southern California? It's always chilly, give me beach weather.

I'm a stage in my life where I have properties all over the world (and in many different climates), so I kind of bounce around. I realized that my problem is not the weather but that I'm a control freak, who doesn't like it when mother nature decides for me what I should be doing.

As a result, now even cold doesn't bother. It's invigorating. As soon as it becomes depressing, I just leave. Same with the heat. The first couple balmy nights, sipping a cold beer on your balcony? Great. Then I get bored of the monotony and take a small vacation.

Now I almost never complain about the weather.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:51 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
A problem with Christmas music is that commercial networks can make it repetitive: the same song playing multiple times a day, year after year, will get old quite quickly. Made worse by how early it starts in November, and how late past New Years it lasts. I understand that some songs are indeed timeless classics, but still, things need to be spiced up.

The same applies for television broadcasts as well. How many reruns of "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" do we need to see?
Well, I listen to Pandora which mixes it up. Also my favourite Christmas song is "Fairytale of New York" which I never heard in a US radio station and doubt I will with how un-PC and adult it is lol. And there's tons of great Christmas movies like "A Christmas Story" "Christmas Vacation" any of the dozens of "Christmas Carols" "Home Alone" and notice they all pretty much feature snow.

Its not like I listen to nothing to nothing but Xmas music in December either, just when I am in a festive mood. Eventually I get a bit tired of it and put it on shuffle. It's hard to get in that Christmas mood if it's warm or hot outside.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:54 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I don't love snow but I don't like California and Florida weather/climate either. It is good to get a break from the heat and humidity in the South. I like the winters in TN, it is cold but not too bad. Good sweater weather. 40s and 50s are not bad even 30s if it is sunny.
I remember one snow covered December morning in Tennessee, it was 28 degrees and the sun was sooo strong, that I was out in a cotton long sleeve t shirt and felt very comfortable. It was chilly in the shade and downright warmish in the sun. TN is a great state for 4 seasons but not many extremes, especially in the mountains.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:25 PM

2,696 posts, read 986,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
I've come to realize I'm very much a warm weather guy. My ideal weather is Florida weather. I'd rather endure long stretches of heat and humidity over the cold.

Probably my favorite benefit of warm weather is the fact that waking up early is easier for me. Being able to wake up and walk to the gym in your gym clothes is such an underrated perk. I also would love to participate in more water sports.

I enjoy cloudy weather too, provided it's not too cold. When it's cold, I like to feel the sun on my skin. So, probably the only city colder than NYC that I would accept weather-wise would be Denver. Assuming that 300 days of sunshine thing is true.

I don't know about "overrated," fall colors are really cool. I just don't need to live in a place that has change of seasons. Change of seasons aren't important to me personally.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:51 PM

1,258 posts, read 698,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
That's common enough. There seems to be two kinds of people - people who complain about the weather and those who don't.

I'm in the first category. No matter where I lived for a prolonged period of time, I ended up hating it. 4-seasons? Ugh. Tropical? Hate the heat. Coastal Southern California? It's always chilly, give me beach weather.

I'm a stage in my life where I have properties all over the world (and in many different climates), so I kind of bounce around. I realized that my problem is not the weather but that I'm a control freak, who doesn't like it when mother nature decides for me what I should be doing.

As a result, now even cold doesn't bother. It's invigorating. As soon as it becomes depressing, I just leave. Same with the heat. The first couple balmy nights, sipping a cold beer on your balcony? Great. Then I get bored of the monotony and take a small vacation.

Now I almost never complain about the weather.
Sounds like a nice problem to have

Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

Well, ****! Now itís 27 degrees here tonight. 0 to 100 real quick
I dread those big changes.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I dread those big changes.
Yeah, I just wish we had a better transition as I think the first half of Fall is easily the most pleasant weather temps up here in NY. Instead we had an extra 1-2 months of Summer and went straight to Winter almost overnight. No transition period at all whatsoever.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM

26,606 posts, read 19,039,583 times
Default Are "change of seasons" overrated?

in my opinion, no.
i lived 4 years in galveston TX where the seasons are hot and not-as-hot, and i definitely prefer to have all 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or