U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Dear lord, the bugs in the south are horrible

Right. I'd rather deal with a short mosquito season than a year round roach problem like in Florida (plus almost year round mosquitoes) Don't get me started on the fire ants Florida and Texas have.

I'd also rather deal with some bugs in summer, snow in the winter (the world's most exaggerated "dilemma." People act like a moderate snow shower is the same as a whiteout blizzard... please) and the rare tornado threat in spring than deal with the awful fires like in California right now, or a city being ravaged by a widespread hurricane.

December 9th, still haven't needed to shovel snow. Don't even own a snow shovel yet. And yes we have snow. People also act like we spend the whole winter shovelling. I can't wait to have ENOUGH snow to NEED to shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Right. I'd rather deal with a short mosquito season than a year round roach problem like in Florida (plus almost year round mosquitoes) Don't get me started on the fire ants Florida and Texas have.

I'd also rather deal with some bugs in summer, snow in the winter (the world's most exaggerated "dilemma." People act like a moderate snow shower is the same as a whiteout blizzard... please) and the rare tornado threat in spring than deal with the awful fires like in California right now, or a city being ravaged by a widespread hurricane.

December 9th, still haven't needed to shovel snow. Don't even own a snow shovel yet. And yes we have snow. People also act like we spend the whole winter shovelling. I can't wait to have ENOUGH snow to NEED to shovel.
Been mild here in Denver as well. Texans went crazy in a positive way on Facebook a few days ago. Loved it.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:39 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,308,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Been mild here in Denver as well. Texans went crazy in a positive way on Facebook a few days ago. Loved it.
I love when The South gets <1 inch of snow and everybody loses their minds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZM1mqphIs

Old 12-09-2017, 11:13 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,902,218 times
No...love 4 seasons...moved back from coastal SC for that reason plus many others. Long summers get boring and are so hot in most states. Where I am now, summers are only 80+ degrees in summer and lows generally 32-40.

Right now have 13 inches of lovely snow on the ground. I missed snow while on the coast.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
I agree, the whole tired of shoveling routine is ridiculous considering the few times a year it happens and moving to FL to avoid it even more so. Especially when in doing so you're trading for eight months indoors hiding from the "feels like 90 or better" temperatures/humidity.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:44 PM

44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I love when The South gets <1 inch of snow and everybody loses their minds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZM1mqphIs
I love that clip!

I need to make one about the time my friends from Ann Arbor, MI came down to spend a few days in Panama City, FL and after three hours outside ended up spending the next three days sick with "heat exhaustion" laying in the hotel room, red as lobsters. They didn't have so great a vacation but the rest of us had a blast!

Or when my friends from Belgium visited us in Texas in the spring and thought it was nearly impossible to sit outside on the patio because it was 82 degrees and sunny and they thought it was too hot to even breathe!

Old 12-09-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, the whole tired of shoveling routine is ridiculous considering the few times a year it happens and moving to FL to avoid it even more so. Especially when in doing so you're trading for eight months indoors hiding from the "feels like 90 or better" temperatures/humidity.
I've actually never shoveled snow in my life and I intend to keep it that way. Actually, I take that back - I did shovel it once and didn't care for it. I also don't care for piles of soot covered snow and slush for weeks at a time.

I've also never had heat stroke or heat exhaustion and don't even tend to break a sweat unless temps climb over 95.

Different bites for different likes! I'll be planting spring flowers and enjoying the lush green grass and warm spring breezes while other people are still stomping through piles of dirty snow. And those same people will be reveling in fall colors while I'm still wearing flip flops and complaining about the heat.

It's the way of the regions. No biggie. I hope everyone really, truly loves where they live as much as I do!

Old 12-09-2017, 03:20 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Quote:
Right, cuz there's no bugs in the Southeast? Actually the bugs aren't that bad up north in the summer. Not in my opinion they're not. I've never seen the amount of cockroaches and mosquitoes and flies I've seen in Florida in Texas or Minnesota.
In the north, cockroaches are associated with filth and dirtiness. In Texas, cockroaches are just a fact of life. Not only that, it’s not uncommon to see one flying in your home.

I never forget on beautiful snow-filled days like this how happy I am to be back in the northeast. It’s only when I get on threads like this that I’m reminded that cockroaches and fire ants are among a few other concerns we’ve left behind.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
In the north, cockroaches are associated with filth and dirtiness. In Texas, cockroaches are just a fact of life. Not only that, it’s not uncommon to see one flying in your home.

I never forget on beautiful snow-filled days like this how happy I am to be back in the northeast. It’s only when I get on threads like this that I’m reminded that cockroaches and fire ants are among a few other concerns we’ve left behind.
I've literally never seen a cockroach in my Texas home. Or in the yard for that matter. I did however, keep finding the same brown snake in my yard every spring for about four years. I think my dogs killed it this past year.

Fire ants are an adventure, but easily kept at bay. We don't have them in our yard because they are easy to get rid of.

We also don't have mosquitoes, in spite of living adjacent to a creek, because like fire ants, they're easily gotten rid of. We have a spray service that comes around every few weeks and sprays the yard with something or other. Voila - no mosquitoes! Which is great since we hang out on our patio about 9 months out of the year.

Just in case anyone was wondering or thinking we were overrun by crawly critters here!

It's threads like this that remind me how great it is to live in such a warm, sunny environment. I feel I "did my time" with as much snow and ice as I ever want to see, in the years I spent living in the MidAtlantic region as well as in Germany. I like four seasons like I have said, but sometimes just visiting a place for a taste of a season - or having a very short stint of a particular season, is all the season I need!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:02 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've literally never seen a cockroach in my Texas home.
Good for you! I was sharing my experiences, however. When I moved to Houston, a couple of my new coworkers offered up recommendations for exterminators. Not a good sign. Flying cockroaches are so common in Houston, there are even threads about them: Huge Flying Cockroaches, Snakes, Feral Hogs....are you kidding me??? lol!

I am happy to say, however, that I have not seen a cockroach at all since leaving Texas, let alone in my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Fire ants are an adventure . . .
LOL! I find foreign travel to be an adventure. I need to know where you bought those rose-colored glasses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or