U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,982,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You think I don't know that Texas has long, hot summers? I live here. I realize that but thanks for the heads' up anyway.

My point is that I don't mind the long hot summers because I also love the mild winters and gorgeous, gorgeous springs.

You never answered my question by the way - why do you seem to be perturbed that I like the weather where I live? I could live literally anywhere in the US. I chose here. Why does that bother you?
LOL, I am not perturbed by you at all! Idk why you would think that. You're the one that says "good don't move here then" when anybody mentions Texas is hot, as if that's an insult. You're the defensive one. You're happy where you are, that is great. That's the beauty of this country, we get to live where we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 05:30 PM

6,854 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
As a 20+ year resident of southern Texas, I can probably count on one hand the number of times in life I've seen a flying water bug. They're completely harmless for the most part, and as long you don't have a habit of leaving doors and unscreened windows open, they stay outside hiding in the grass and trees.
Lol - you must have a lot of fingers.

Cockroaches are so prevalent in the state that Texas Monthly actually ran an article on them: https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...espicable-bug/.

According to the article: ”Scientists say it is safe to say Texas has more cockroaches than any other state.”

And:“Nevertheless, exterminators say that the cockroach is our state’s most complained about insect, and their biggest money-making pest.”

They are not always so harmless, either: “All this becomes even less comforting with the knowledge that cockroaches will attack and bite much larger—and usually sleeping—human adversaries. As one of more than twenty documented examples of such aggression, Roth and Willis report the experience of a Japanese entomologist who discounted the roach’s ability to bite until he awoke one morning to discover cockroaches nibbling on his toes and breast.”

This is my favorite quote: “Fortunately, at least as much creative energy has been devoted to killing cockroaches. One lakeside resident, for example, used to shoot them with a revolver.”

Since you are so unfamiliar with them, this rather creepy video gives you a sense of how large they are:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFqxzjiWl5A

I never liked killing them with my shoe. They are messy when they pop.

They are one thing I was happy to leave back in Texas!

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-10-2017 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Add quote

Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Cockroaches are so prevalent in the state that Texas Monthly actually ran an article on them: https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...espicable-bug/.

According to the article: ”Scientists say it is safe to say Texas has more cockroaches than any other state.”

And:“Nevertheless, exterminators say that the cockroach is our state’s most complained about insect, and their biggest money-making pest.”

They are not always so harmless, either: “All this becomes even less comforting with the knowledge that cockroaches will attack and bite much larger—and usually sleeping—human adversaries. As one of more than twenty documented examples of such aggression, Roth and Willis report the experience of a Japanese entomologist who discounted the roach’s ability to bite until he awoke one morning to discover cockroaches nibbling on his toes and breast.”

This is my favorite quote: “Fortunately, at least as much creative energy has been devoted to killing cockroaches. One lakeside resident, for example, used to shoot them with a revolver.”

Since you are so unfamiliar with them, this rather creepy video gives you a sense of how large they are:

I'm sorry you allowed yourself to be terrorized by something that's the size of your thumb, but allow me to reiterate that, despite their obvious prevalence in a very warm and wet part of the country, I PERSONALLY have had very few experiences with them. Again, it came down to the level of precaution taken in whatever home I was living in. We kept a spotless house and doors/windows were never left open. If I did see one of those things, it was outside in a more heavily wooded area. YMMV.

Bar none, the biggest nuisance on six legs is our mosquitoes. They're everywhere down here and there's absolutely no escaping them.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
LOL, I am not perturbed by you at all! Idk why you would think that. You're the one that says "good don't move here then" when anybody mentions Texas is hot, as if that's an insult. You're the defensive one. You're happy where you are, that is great. That's the beauty of this country, we get to live where we want.
LOL OK, keep telling yourself this. What I ACTUALLY have said over and over again is that each part of the country has it's pros and cons and that it's great that we have so many choices regarding weather patterns because there's something for everyone in this big, wide, beautiful country. I personally love about 90 percent of Texas weather but I also like the weather in many other parts of the US as well - and even in places like the midwest where I really DON'T prefer the weather patterns, there's still a lot of beauty and I could certainly be happy there (as well as just about anywhere).

I am a former military brat and then spouse, and also a corporate trainer, so I've lived and worked all over the world. Because of that depth of experience, I do have very distinct likes and dislikes but I also have enough exposure to know that most places have a lot of natural beauty - you just gotta get out there and find it and revel in what you have on hand - and there's generally a lot. Everywhere. Just at different times of the year.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
LOL OK, keep telling yourself this. What I ACTUALLY have said over and over again is that each part of the country has it's pros and cons and that it's great that we have so many choices regarding weather patterns because there's something for everyone in this big, wide, beautiful country. I personally love about 90 percent of Texas weather but I also like the weather in many other parts of the US as well - and even in places like the midwest where I really DON'T prefer the weather patterns, there's still a lot of beauty and I could certainly be happy there (as well as just about anywhere).

I am a former military brat and then spouse, and also a corporate trainer, so I've lived and worked all over the world. Because of that depth of experience, I do have very distinct likes and dislikes but I also have enough exposure to know that most places have a lot of natural beauty - you just gotta get out there and find it and revel in what you have on hand - and there's generally a lot. Everywhere. Just at different times of the year.
You're saying you've never responded with "you don't like the heat, stay where you are!!" Come On Kathryn.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:

That's just another weird nuance about CD. Just about every southerner and Texan I've met not only acknowledge they have a ton of huge bugs, but they're proud of it. But here on CD, that's also not true as well.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You're saying you've never responded with "you don't like the heat, stay where you are!!" Come On Kathryn.
I'm saying that the vast majority of my posts on this topic contain language along the lines of "different bites for different likes" and "every region has it's pros and cons," etc.

Your posts make it clear that you don't like the south in general or Texas in particular and that's OK, but you take it a step further, and exaggerate things - see above post - your statement that
Quote:
Just about every southerner and Texan I've met not only acknowledge they have a ton of huge bugs, but they're proud of it. But here on CD, that's also not true as well.
- and you are intentionally inflammatory.

So excuse me if I've ever finally said to you in exasperation, "If you don't like the heat, stay where you are!"

You love living in Denver and I love living in Texas. What's so contentious about that? Why can't you accept that other people like places you don't like? (I don't care for Denver by the way, but I don't harp on it or argue with you about what I perceive to be the negatives for that area.)

I'll remind you once more - you haven't answered my question yet.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-11-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM

What I HAVEN'T done is post the same old things that I don't like about Denver over and over again, with the insinuation (or outright statement) that anyone who likes Denver doesn't "really" know any better. Which is what you do regarding the south in general, and Texas in particular, over and over and over again. You seem to have a very difficult time believing that people who could live wherever they want, CHOOSE the south and/or Texas BECAUSE they like it and want to live here. I don't know why that's so hard for you to accept.

By the way, I dislike long winters and lots of frozen precipitation. But guess what - if it made more sense for me to live in New England, or Minnesota, or even Denver, I'd do so and I'd still be happy. You know why? Because I'm a happy person who doesn't have to put other people or places down in order to feel good about my own choices or circumstances. In fact, I've lived in much colder climates off and on in my life and loved every minute of it, but it was in spite of the snow and ice and long winters, not because of them. Because most places in this big, beautiful world have many positives and those are what I tend to focus on.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I'm saying that the vast majority of my posts on this topic contain language along the lines of "different bites for different likes" and "every region has it's pros and cons," etc.

Your posts make it clear that you don't like the south in general or Texas in particular and that's OK, but you take it a step further, and exaggerate things - see above post - your statement that - and you are intentionally inflammatory.

So excuse me if I've ever finally said to you in exasperation, "If you don't like the heat, stay where you are!"

You love living in Denver and I love living in Texas. What's so contentious about that? Why can't you accept that other people like places you don't like? (I don't care for Denver by the way, but I don't harp on it or argue with you about what I perceive to be the negatives for that area.)

I'll remind you once more - you haven't answered my question yet.
Kat, I've answered your question. I am glad you are happy, I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm not arguing with you and when I say ____ is hot, it shouldn't upset you anymore than ____ is cold. It's a statement of fact, pretty simple right?

And it wasn't a finality, you've said that to me (and others) several times.

You are being way too sensitive, and listen, this thread/board, shouldn't be a soap opera of focker and aragon snipping at each other. I'll just stick to the facts.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Good for you! I was sharing my experiences, however. When I moved to Houston, a couple of my new coworkers offered up recommendations for exterminators. Not a good sign. Flying cockroaches are so common in Houston, there are even threads about them: Huge Flying Cockroaches, Snakes, Feral Hogs....are you kidding me??? lol!

I am happy to say, however, that I have not seen a cockroach at all since leaving Texas, let alone in my house.

LOL! I find foreign travel to be an adventure. I need to know where you bought those rose-colored glasses!

Yea I will agree with Kathryn on this, I've rarely seen roaches in North or West Texas but Houston is a different are altogether and is more like Louisiana than most of Texas in geography. Florida is horrid for roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or