U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 12:19 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, the whole tired of shoveling routine is ridiculous considering the few times a year it happens and moving to FL to avoid it even more so. Especially when in doing so you're trading for eight months indoors hiding from the "feels like 90 or better" temperatures/humidity.
Yea, also I think it speaks to America's laziness factor. Shovelling is a chore. Chores aren't most people's idea of "fun" but they were never meant to be. I'd rather shovel a few times a year if it means having 3 months minimum of snow. Good God we got 4 inches of snow and still haven't needed to shovel. If your car can't handle 4 inches of snow, get some better tires! Wait til we get a proper storm that drops close to a foot, then I'll run down to the store and buy a shovel lol. I don't have a car anymore so its not my job to shovel anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Hey, I just worked out in my yard for about two hours. That was a chore! But it is 70 degrees outside and sunny and felt fantastic!

Now, to be fair, I'd really rather it NOT be 70 degrees in December because I do like four seasons (just not a long winter or one that involves much frozen precipitation). And I don't enjoy yardwork in the summer when it's 95 degrees either. But everyone has their preferences - would I rather do an outdoor chore in the heat or in the cold? Personally, I'd rather do it in the heat, but hey, that's just me.

Actually I'd rather not do it all, in any uncomfortable weather, and that's why we have a landscaping crew for the drudgery, but I certainly don't mind raking leaves (not even in December) or cleaning out the flower beds (like I did today) when it's 70 degrees and sunny outside. I'm not THAT lazy - LOL.

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50s with more abundant sunshine. I like that. I'm hoping for similar weather on Christmas day, but you never can tell around here - it could be cold or it could be warm, but will most likely be somewhere in between.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:15 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I just worked out in my yard for about two hours. That was a chore! But it is 70 degrees outside and sunny and felt fantastic!

Now, to be fair, I'd really rather it NOT be 70 degrees in December because I do like four seasons (just not a long winter or one that involves much frozen precipitation). And I don't enjoy yardwork in the summer when it's 95 degrees either. But everyone has their preferences - would I rather do an outdoor chore in the heat or in the cold? Personally, I'd rather do it in the heat, but hey, that's just me.

Actually I'd rather not do it all, in any uncomfortable weather, and that's why we have a landscaping crew for the drudgery, but I certainly don't mind raking leaves (not even in December) or cleaning out the flower beds (like I did today) when it's 70 degrees and sunny outside. I'm not THAT lazy - LOL.

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50s with more abundant sunshine. I like that. I'm hoping for similar weather on Christmas day, but you never can tell around here - it could be cold or it could be warm, but will most likely be somewhere in between.

I'd rather do outdoor work in cool weather than either hot or cold, but I'd pick cold over hot. No matter what, when you exert yourself you are busting a sweat. Shovelling snow in cold weather at least warms you up. Mowing the lawn in hot weather will only make you hotter. For doing either activity, an appropriate drink is always appreciated. Hot chocolate for snow, ice cold lemonade for the lawn.

60s is perfect for working on a spring garden, 50s for raking leaves. Neither of those are as strenuous as shovelling or mowing, though. 70 and sunny is too warm for winter, I don't wanna see weather like that til April. 70 and sunny would rapidly melt our snow and cause issues and make it all mucky. Spring should ideally be a transition that starts to slowly warm as opposed to a massive warm jump. Texas weather can be way too bipolar lol.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That's just another weird nuance about CD. Just about every southerner and Texan I've met not only acknowledge they have a ton of huge bugs, but they're proud of it. But here on CD, that's also not true as well.
Yea - I also find the response that roaches are rare in Texas as a bit off. I think it may be that a state as large as Texas does have different climates in different parts of the state. That said, there are pages of google hits for “flying cockroaches in Texas” and several cities including Houston, Dallas, Austin, Corpus, San Antonio and even El Paso show up quite a lot. Here’s one link reporting that Houston ranks second in the nation for cockroaches, bested only by Tampa: Houston ranks second for the city with the most cockroaches | CW39 NewsFix

As for being “terrorized” by cockroaches - no not the case. That’s just snark. I can say that we’d see an unwanted houseguest maybe once a month. They move fast when you go after them which is frustrating. I loved the comment about shooting them in the Texas Monthly article I referenced a few posts back. The thing that was most unwelcome was once or twice a year when a giant cockroach would take flight. I remember a coworker who told me her travails of trying to ride her bedroom of a cockroach who became comfortable in the corner of her cathedral ceiling. It reminded me of an episode of Lucy, for those old enough to remember the reference. Kinda like this except with high ceilings:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVRc1RoWO1I

We would also find the occasional salamander inside, but I don’t get too worked up over them. We had ants once but they left on their own - maybe we didn’t feed them enough? Also termites, but they were easy to treat. We even had “crazy ants” in the office building I worked in (yes, that’s what they’re called). It took our maintenance staff over a month to get rid of them. They are serious because they have a penchant for destroying electronics: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.72526fb12de7.

I think anyone who argues that Texas doesn’t have a lot of bugs is only fooling themselves.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yea - I also find the response that roaches are rare in Texas as a bit off. I think it may be that a state as large as Texas does have different climates in different parts of the state. That said, there are pages of google hits for “flying cockroaches in Texas” and several cities including Houston, Dallas, Austin, Corpus, San Antonio and even El Paso show up quite a lot. Here’s one link reporting that Houston ranks second in the nation for cockroaches, bested only by Tampa: Houston ranks second for the city with the most cockroaches | CW39 NewsFix

As for being “terrorized” by cockroaches - no not the case. That’s just snark. I can say that we’d see an unwanted houseguest maybe once a month. They move fast when you go after them which is frustrating. I loved the comment about shooting them in the Texas Monthly article I referenced a few posts back. The thing that was most unwelcome was once or twice a year when a giant cockroach would take flight. I remember a coworker who told me her travails of trying to ride her bedroom of a cockroach who became comfortable in the corner of her cathedral ceiling. It reminded me of an episode of Lucy, for those old enough to remember the reference. Kinda like this except with high ceilings:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVRc1RoWO1I

We would also find the occasional salamander inside, but I don’t get too worked up over them. We had ants once but they left on their own - maybe we didn’t feed them enough? Also termites, but they were easy to treat. We even had “crazy ants” in the office building I worked in (yes, that’s what they’re called). It took our maintenance staff over a month to get rid of them. They are serious because they have a penchant for destroying electronics: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.72526fb12de7.

I think anyone who argues that Texas doesn’t have a lot of bugs is only fooling themselves.
And the comment suggesting I had more than five fingers on each hand; that wasn't snark, right?

Both you and Gaylord allude to these individuals who are suggesting Texas doesn't have lots of bugs, but where are these posts? I don't see them anywhere. Still, both of you seem quite invested into trying to convince anyone who's reading this thread that Texans are down here dripping sweat from fighting swarms of roaches all day.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And the comment suggesting I had more than five fingers on each hand; that wasn't snark, right?

Both you and Gaylord allude to these individuals who are suggesting Texas doesn't have lots of bugs, but where are these posts? I don't see them anywhere. Still, both of you seem quite invested into trying to convince anyone who's reading this thread that Texans are down here dripping sweat from fighting swarms of roaches all day.
You're right. Texas has California like weather, but with 4 seasons and no bugs at all. Or, Texans are siding with Texans and don't want to post any perceived negatives of the state?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You're right.
I know.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:

The comment on your fingers was humor. Some posters are short on that.

Other than that, your post above doesn’t trigger me to add anything further. My last post pretty much sums up my thoughts on this matter.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The comment on your fingers was humor. Some posters are short on that.
Snark/humor; I guess it depends on the audience.

Quote:
Other than that, your post above doesn’t trigger me to add anything further.
You just did, but okay.

A common theme in all of these active weather threads seems to be the insistence by several posters that one part of the country has an objectively superior climate to another. When our nation is filled with all types of people from different parts of the world, how can anyone honestly suggest that we all truly prefer the same temperature range? I can certainly understand that some would rather have long, cold winters with mild summers, but I am not one of them, so don't underestimate my preference for hot summers simply because you can't deal with it, folks.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Snark/humor; I guess it depends on the audience.

You just did, but okay.

A common theme in all of these active weather threads seems to be the insistence by several posters that one part of the country has an objectively superior climate to another. When our nation is filled with all types of people from different parts of the world, how can anyone honestly suggest that we all truly prefer the same temperature range? I can certainly understand that some would rather have long, cold winters with mild summers, but I am not one of them, so don't underestimate my preference for hot summers simply because you can't deal with it, folks.
Nobody has suggested that. We all have different preferences and tolerance levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or