U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 AM

6,850 posts, read 7,797,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nobody has suggested that. We all have different preferences and tolerance levels
Agree. Citations are called for to support this posterís claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Brrrr! It's about 52 degrees outside with a snappy little north wind blowing and while I'm going to hang laundry outside in the sun, and I'm sure it will smell marvelous when I bring it in, I'm definitely going to have to put on sweats to get out there and do it!

I love it though!

Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
^It's not as chilly and cloudy as I like it to be this time of year, but we're having a surprisingly cool start to winter nonetheless. Most years it seems like we're still struggling to get out of the high 70s/low 80s around this time, but these past few days and nights have been reliably brisk. And that snow we had last week didn't even melt until the afternoon!

Edit: Actually, a quick glance at weather stats show that this year's averages are more or less on par with where they should be, so I guess it's just my tolerance for mild Decembers that's increasing. Still, that early snowfall was completely unexpected.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 12-12-2017 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
^It's not as chilly and cloudy as I like it to be this time of year, but we're having a surprisingly cool start to winter nonetheless. Most years it seems like we're still struggling to get out of the high 70s/low 80s around this time, but these past few days and nights have been reliably brisk. And that snow we had last week didn't even melt until the afternoon!

Edit: Actually, a quick glance at weather stats show that this year's averages are more or less on par with where they should be, so I guess it's just my tolerance for mild Decembers that's increasing. Still, that early snowfall was completely unexpected.
I know, right? We only got flurries up here - but I bet that snow fall really did take the Gulf Coast by surprise. We didn't even have flurries in the forecast till the night before. People didn't even believe me when I was saying, "Hey, did you know it might snow tomorrow?" LOL

I am hoping for cool days and cold nights Christmas week. We'll see. Right now the forecast is only semi accurate that far in advance but it's looking like highs in the low fifties and lows in the low thirties, which is just how I like my Decembers! I see some highs a few days before Christmas eve for around 68 degrees and I don't care as much for that, but at least night time temps will be around 40 and that's perfect weather for a fire pit and some porch sitting. And also, at least the weather will be sunny and not cold when my family is on the road headed to our house.

Boxing Day shows showers. Darn. Oh wait, we don't celebrate Boxing Day - LOL!

Old 12-12-2017, 02:51 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
76 in Phoenix.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 PM

64 posts, read 55,544 times
Definitely not overrated! My husband and I have been living in Phoenix for the past 9 months and are considering breaking our lease early as we are so bored with the weather. We have not enjoyed the sunny weather day in/day out for basically the entire time we have lived here. Barely any rain and the summer monsoons were very disappointing in comparison to Flagstaff which gets pretty intense storms, not to mention cloudier weather all day prior to the storm. My husband was once a major athlete and barely has any motion anymore due to the oppressive heat and unending sunshine. I force myself to get out there and exercise, although trust me, it is not fun.

We have gotten lucky the last few days with a few days of cloudy weather which really makes us realize what we are missing! I love lots of cloudy days particularly during the holiday season. As I am from the Midwest originally, the overcast weather really makes it feel like the holidays. It really has not felt like the holiday season here whatsoever, that is until recently when we started to get a few overcast days. Love it!!!!!

Really, I would not want to live somewhere cloudy all year, nor sunny all year. Any place with the same weather day in and day out (i.e. Phoenix or Seattle) feels like Groundhog Day. I can live in a warm or 4 season climate, but will not put up with endless 24/7 sunshine. Love the relaxed natural feeling that comes along with overcast days - really the perfect weather for doing anything outside. Riding a bike, hiking, basically anything is better on an overcast day.

My ideal weather:

several months of hot summer temps (hot enough for waterparks and beach visits with warm nights) with lots of random thunderstorms. Temps in the 80s to upper 90s would be my personal preference. More humid is preferable to dry as the dry air really messes with both our sinuses and also my husband complains of major joint aches due to the dryness. Also hate having to constantly worry about dehydration on the trails.

a few months of mild spring weather (60s and 70s) with a mix of cloudy rainy days and mild warm sunny days. Seeing the green leaves come back on the trees and stepping outside the first day the weather warms up after a long cold winter is an amazing feel that I have thoroughly missed in Arizona.

A few cool months of fall temps (50s-70s) with lots of leafy colorful foliage.

A cold (20s-50s although colder is just fine with me) and mostly dreary winter season with lots of snow. Love to cross country ski, snowshoe, ice skate, take winter walks through the parks with the icy ponds and barren trees. I don't mind shoveling and even if I did I would simply pay someone to do it for me! I hate the though of living somewhere where I have to keep riding a bike and hiking during the winter season - so boring! I want change and excitement - something new to do! Dying here in Phoenix...Would do anything to strap on my snowshoes through a snowy forest. Maybe Flagstaff will come through soon

Old 12-12-2017, 04:06 PM

I love big storms too! Big, spectacular thunderstorms with lots of thunder and lightning. I've never been anything other than deliciously scared of storms - even when we are under a tornado warning. (For the record, I've lived in Tornado Alley for about thirty or more years and never once experienced any significant damage to any property but I might feel differently if I had - knock on wood.)

I associate thunderstorms with spring and summer and I love dark, stormy days. We don't get a lot of those here but when we do they tend to be pretty impressive.

We tend to get dark, rainy, cold days in January and into February and a few in March as winter makes one last small protest at leaving. I love those dark, cold days - but part of that love is that I know they are very limited so I have learned to relish them, snuggle up with a book by the fire, that sort of thing. We also get one or two snow and/or ice events per winter here and I like those too - I always get excited - but once again it's because they're a novelty. I have never been into winter sports but I can see the allure - I'm just not Jonesin' for them.

I'll tell you what I love, and what we do just about every fall - I love going somewhere cool and crisp in October - while it's still warm and definitely uncrisp here (we get our fall color and falling leaves in late November and early December here). We generally go to Maine, or Ohio, or even the Ouachita or Ozark or Smoky Mountains during that time, and I get to oooh and ahhhh - and then go home. I am always tempted to move to a place like that in the fall - and then I read the winter weather news for those areas (or hear about it from loved ones) and think, "Nope, I'll stay right here and just VISIT."

My family is wistful about our weather in the winter and spring, and I'm wistful about theirs in the summer and fall. But it's all good. That's what vacations are for!

I will say this - I lived one fall in Ohio and it was absolutely beautiful. I've also lived several years in Maryland and Virginia and they have gorgeous falls too. Fall may be my favorite time of year.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
Definitely not overrated! My husband and I have been living in Phoenix for the past 9 months and are considering breaking our lease early as we are so bored with the weather. We have not enjoyed the sunny weather day in/day out for basically the entire time we have lived here. Barely any rain and the summer monsoons were very disappointing in comparison to Flagstaff which gets pretty intense storms, not to mention cloudier weather all day prior to the storm. My husband was once a major athlete and barely has any motion anymore due to the oppressive heat and unending sunshine. I force myself to get out there and exercise, although trust me, it is not fun.

We have gotten lucky the last few days with a few days of cloudy weather which really makes us realize what we are missing! I love lots of cloudy days particularly during the holiday season. As I am from the Midwest originally, the overcast weather really makes it feel like the holidays. It really has not felt like the holiday season here whatsoever, that is until recently when we started to get a few overcast days. Love it!!!!!

Really, I would not want to live somewhere cloudy all year, nor sunny all year. Any place with the same weather day in and day out (i.e. Phoenix or Seattle) feels like Groundhog Day. I can live in a warm or 4 season climate, but will not put up with endless 24/7 sunshine. Love the relaxed natural feeling that comes along with overcast days - really the perfect weather for doing anything outside. Riding a bike, hiking, basically anything is better on an overcast day.

My ideal weather:

several months of hot summer temps (hot enough for waterparks and beach visits with warm nights) with lots of random thunderstorms. Temps in the 80s to upper 90s would be my personal preference. More humid is preferable to dry as the dry air really messes with both our sinuses and also my husband complains of major joint aches due to the dryness. Also hate having to constantly worry about dehydration on the trails.

a few months of mild spring weather (60s and 70s) with a mix of cloudy rainy days and mild warm sunny days. Seeing the green leaves come back on the trees and stepping outside the first day the weather warms up after a long cold winter is an amazing feel that I have thoroughly missed in Arizona.

A few cool months of fall temps (50s-70s) with lots of leafy colorful foliage.

A cold (20s-50s although colder is just fine with me) and mostly dreary winter season with lots of snow. Love to cross country ski, snowshoe, ice skate, take winter walks through the parks with the icy ponds and barren trees. I don't mind shoveling and even if I did I would simply pay someone to do it for me! I hate the though of living somewhere where I have to keep riding a bike and hiking during the winter season - so boring! I want change and excitement - something new to do! Dying here in Phoenix...Would do anything to strap on my snowshoes through a snowy forest. Maybe Flagstaff will come through soon
Yes.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:23 PM

64 posts, read 55,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love big storms too! Big, spectacular thunderstorms with lots of thunder and lightning. I've never been anything other than deliciously scared of storms - even when we are under a tornado warning. (For the record, I've lived in Tornado Alley for about thirty or more years and never once experienced any significant damage to any property but I might feel differently if I had - knock on wood.)

I associate thunderstorms with spring and summer and I love dark, stormy days. We don't get a lot of those here but when we do they tend to be pretty impressive.

We tend to get dark, rainy, cold days in January and into February and a few in March as winter makes one last small protest at leaving. I love those dark, cold days - but part of that love is that I know they are very limited so I have learned to relish them, snuggle up with a book by the fire, that sort of thing. We also get one or two snow and/or ice events per winter here and I like those too - I always get excited - but once again it's because they're a novelty. I have never been into winter sports but I can see the allure - I'm just not Jonesin' for them.

I'll tell you what I love, and what we do just about every fall - I love going somewhere cool and crisp in October - while it's still warm and definitely uncrisp here (we get our fall color and falling leaves in late November and early December here). We generally go to Maine, or Ohio, or even the Ouachita or Ozark or Smoky Mountains during that time, and I get to oooh and ahhhh - and then go home. I am always tempted to move to a place like that in the fall - and then I read the winter weather news for those areas (or hear about it from loved ones) and think, "Nope, I'll stay right here and just VISIT."

My family is wistful about our weather in the winter and spring, and I'm wistful about theirs in the summer and fall. But it's all good. That's what vacations are for!

I will say this - I lived one fall in Ohio and it was absolutely beautiful. I've also lived several years in Maryland and Virginia and they have gorgeous falls too. Fall may be my favorite time of year.
Lol me too...I used to love all the tornado warnings in the Midwest. Really, it was exciting as they never caused much damage near us. And nothing beats a thunderstorm, especially in Tennessee. Tennessee had some of the most magnificent storms I have ever seen. Really, Tennessee has the perfect weather period and I would go back in a heartbeat if I was up for a really long move.

Those dark stormy days change the overall mood. I love reading a good book, having an old-fashioned board game day with my husband, or simply enjoying the storm from the deck. The simple things in nature are most valuable, and thus, the appeal of moving out of Phoenix! The changes in weather really make the entire year more exciting and give you more to look forward to. I want to see different sights throughout the year, look forward to new activities, and look forwarding to changing weather patterns. I want to go to a park in the summer and have it look completely different in the fall and winter. Heck, I even love seeing barren winter trees.

Fall is an incredible time of year. I love crisp cool days where the sunlight makes the golden and red foliage stand out even in more in comparison to the green leaves. A perfect day of hiking in cool temps (cool enough for say a light North face jacket) followed by a a trip to a local coffeehouse for a cup of tea or coffee by the fire. Oh do I miss that!!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:04 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
Lol me too...I used to love all the tornado warnings in the Midwest. Really, it was exciting as they never caused much damage near us. And nothing beats a thunderstorm, especially in Tennessee. Tennessee had some of the most magnificent storms I have ever seen. Really, Tennessee has the perfect weather period and I would go back in a heartbeat if I was up for a really long move.

Those dark stormy days change the overall mood. I love reading a good book, having an old-fashioned board game day with my husband, or simply enjoying the storm from the deck. The simple things in nature are most valuable, and thus, the appeal of moving out of Phoenix! The changes in weather really make the entire year more exciting and give you more to look forward to. I want to see different sights throughout the year, look forward to new activities, and look forwarding to changing weather patterns. I want to go to a park in the summer and have it look completely different in the fall and winter. Heck, I even love seeing barren winter trees.

Fall is an incredible time of year. I love crisp cool days where the sunlight makes the golden and red foliage stand out even in more in comparison to the green leaves. A perfect day of hiking in cool temps (cool enough for say a light North face jacket) followed by a a trip to a local coffeehouse for a cup of tea or coffee by the fire. Oh do I miss that!!
Agree, I think you get the 4 seasons but unlike Denver, you get some rain. Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or