U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 07:42 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,535,748 times

Advertisements

No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,007,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Didnít assume you did. I like a broad variety of weather, hence my preference for a 4 season climate. The one thing I miss about Houston weather are the epic downpours and thunderstorms that fire up quickly and move on. Iím not sure Iím missing it so much any more, however. Houston has had serious flooding in each of the last 3 years and conditions are in place that favor more in the coming years.

Flipping things, it rare that Houston has a rainy day. Those I missed. Rainy days are a good days to stay inside and read or practice some other form of lethargy. As I said, itís generally all sturm und drang then it moves on about as quickly as it came.
Houston after a summer rain can be pretty rough, maybe even a mosquito or two crawls out.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM

64 posts, read 55,889 times
The only warm weather climate I would even consider would be one of the big coastal Florida cities like Miami and Tampa, just because they have so much water based recreation, nature preserves where you see all types of wildlife, theme parks, vacationy road trips nearby, and interesting sights I'm not used to like palm trees/tropical landscaping and unique attractions like alligator airboat rides. I would also maybe consider an L.A. area again due to the many outdoor hiking opportunities combined with lots of charming coastal cities.

Lived in Tampa and L.A. region (moved out due to a job opportunity) and never got remotely bored in either area despite the lack in weather change. Spent weekends in Tampa going to the beach, riding on gorgeous paved bike trails, strolling around nature refuges, restaurants on the water, and so on. And then had endless quick road trips to gorgeous areas like Sarasota, not to mention quick day trips to Orlando.

Phoenix, on the other hand, is a completely different situation. The trails are not all that scenic here (and rather monotonous) and the lack of water means that after I hike there is nothing else to do asides from walking around a mall, dining at a restaurant, or sitting in a coffeehouse.

I also cannot stand the desert winter weather - 30 in the morning and 80 during the day is not my idea of nice weather. The drastic temperature changes make everything more difficult. Last year, around the 3rd week of December, I did a hike at Piestewa Peak during the day and barely finished due to the intense 85 degree heat. Later that night, I went to the Phoenix Zoo lights and had to wear my big puff winter jacket. Really messed up the whole ambiance. Would rather go snowshoeing during the day, then go to the Zoo Lights. Or visit a beach during the day and not have to put on a big coat at night b/c there is such a dramatic temperature change - would rather feel like I live in a warm weather area. For warm weather I need to see palm trees, water, and basically have that vacation vibe in the air or else I just feel like I am living in Suburbsville USA - only without the attractive 4 seasons.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:27 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,007,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
The only warm weather climate I would even consider would be one of the big coastal Florida cities like Miami and Tampa, just because they have so much water based recreation, nature preserves where you see all types of wildlife, theme parks, vacationy road trips nearby, and interesting sights I'm not used to like palm trees/tropical landscaping and unique attractions like alligator airboat rides. I would also maybe consider an L.A. area again due to the many outdoor hiking opportunities combined with lots of charming coastal cities.

Lived in Tampa and L.A. region (moved out due to a job opportunity) and never got remotely bored in either area despite the lack in weather change. Spent weekends in Tampa going to the beach, riding on gorgeous paved bike trails, strolling around nature refuges, restaurants on the water, and so on. And then had endless quick road trips to gorgeous areas like Sarasota, not to mention quick day trips to Orlando.

Phoenix, on the other hand, is a completely different situation. The trails are not all that scenic here (and rather monotonous) and the lack of water means that after I hike there is nothing else to do asides from walking around a mall, dining at a restaurant, or sitting in a coffeehouse.

I also cannot stand the desert winter weather - 30 in the morning and 80 during the day is not my idea of nice weather. The drastic temperature changes make everything more difficult. Last year, around the 3rd week of December, I did a hike at Piestewa Peak during the day and barely finished due to the intense 85 degree heat. Later that night, I went to the Phoenix Zoo lights and had to wear my big puff winter jacket. Really messed up the whole ambiance. Would rather go snowshoeing during the day, then go to the Zoo Lights. Or visit a beach during the day and not have to put on a big coat at night b/c there is such a dramatic temperature change - would rather feel like I live in a warm weather area. For warm weather I need to see palm trees, water, and basically have that vacation vibe in the air or else I just feel like I am living in Suburbsville USA - only without the attractive 4 seasons.
I like this post too. Well, 80/30 works for me.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 AM

6,869 posts, read 7,823,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Houston after a summer rain can be pretty rough, maybe even a mosquito or two crawls out.
I know this well. The afternoon deluges that occur in the summer bring a welcome but brief respite from the heat and humidity. The problem is that once the sun re-emerges, itís that much more humid.

Still, I always enjoy the drama of these storms, as long as I wasnít driving.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Give it some time. Phoenix gets cold at night in winter. Expect many nights in the 30s.

The best part about winters here? No snow to shovel. No slippery roads. No rusted cars. No frostbite. No black ice. No gasping for air as sub zero wind chills suck the air out of your lungs. No scraping ice from car windows. No slipping on ice.
Cities like Chicago barely even get snow before December. Growing up, we always wished to get a White Christmas. Usually didn't happen, but the most memorable Christmas was the one in which we got a major blizzard. So exciting! It snows a lot less than people think and really only occasionally during a 2-3 month period, with some major snowstorm events, some years. And winter coats, scarves, gloves, and boots protect you from frostbit and keep you warm. No reason to stay inside. Most roads are properly salted asides from side streets which typically take longer to get to after a big storm.

Even better are places like Boston which gets a bit more snow but the winter weather usually stays in the 30s and 40s. No we didn't shovel every day lol maybe 5 times total, mostly after the huge winter storms. Most of the time we simply brush the snow off the car and drive through and simply wait for it to melt. I would actually loved to have some shoveling to do now as I am so bored. I'll even pay someone to let me shovel for them if it meant I got to see some snow.

Even if I had to shovel everyday for 3 months, it would beat 7 months hiding inside from 110 degree heat! At least you get to go outside to shovel as opposed to having to go from air conditioning to air conditioning in Phoenix. Much easier to snowshoe, ski, take a nature walk, sled, walk around downtown, etc during a cold snowy winter season than it is to bike and hike in Phoenix during the 7 months of 100+ degrees. Set my alarm for like 5am to get outside before it go hot - although it was still 90 degrees and once that sun hit too, oh boy.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 AM

45,148 posts, read 36,338,000 times
We got a white Christmas here in northeast Texas a few years ago! It was nice - very Christmassy. Even nicer that it was gone by noon the next day!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:41 AM

6,094 posts, read 3,407,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
Cities like Chicago barely even get snow before December. Growing up, we always wished to get a White Christmas. Usually didn't happen, but the most memorable Christmas was the one in which we got a major blizzard. So exciting! It snows a lot less than people think and really only occasionally during a 2-3 month period, with some major snowstorm events, some years. And winter coats, scarves, gloves, and boots protect you from frostbit and keep you warm. No reason to stay inside. Most roads are properly salted asides from side streets which typically take longer to get to after a big storm.

Even better are places like Boston which gets a bit more snow but the winter weather usually stays in the 30s and 40s. No we didn't shovel every day lol maybe 5 times total, mostly after the huge winter storms. Most of the time we simply brush the snow off the car and drive through and simply wait for it to melt. I would actually loved to have some shoveling to do now as I am so bored. I'll even pay someone to let me shovel for them if it meant I got to see some snow.

Even if I had to shovel everyday for 3 months, it would beat 7 months hiding inside from 110 degree heat! At least you get to go outside to shovel as opposed to having to go from air conditioning to air conditioning in Phoenix. Much easier to snowshoe, ski, take a nature walk, sled, walk around downtown, etc during a cold snowy winter season than it is to bike and hike in Phoenix during the 7 months of 100+ degrees. Set my alarm for like 5am to get outside before it go hot - although it was still 90 degrees and once that sun hit too, oh boy.

Right. I'm still waiting for a storm worth shovelling for My roommate's boyfriend is giving us a snowblower for free anyway. Honestly folks, either invest in a snowblower or tell your roommate to date a guy who will give y'all one! Jokes aside, frost bite is a horrible thing that's EASILY avoided. I think more people are likely to get a winter sunburn than frost bite. Only an idiot would spend an extended period of time underdressed in freezing weather.

I've only slipped on ice once so far this winter and I deserved it cuz I was running. Anyone who takes it slow and wears sensible footwear should be fine. Plus, in winter you're so bundled up, you hardly feel the impact unless you land really bad lol. Something I noticed when skiing.

My one complaint is how ugly the city streets look with brown slush and when the snow gets dirty. Small price to pay, though, IMO.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We got a white Christmas here in northeast Texas a few years ago! It was nice - very Christmassy. Even nicer that it was gone by noon the next day!
sounds exciting! Probably even more so because it is so rare! I saw that Southern Texas got a few inches in the storm last week - even Corpus Christi - looked kinda cool with the palm trees covered with snow. Funny thing is that Texas got snow this year before Flagstaff, which usually gets over 100 inches per year!

Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,786,090 times
I love the changing seasons, although critics would say Vancouver has two season, wet and dry.

In reality there are four. Winter has very short days, lots of rain, ( which I don't mind ) and on clear days, the snow on the mountains looming over downtown look spectacular.

Spring here is an explosion of colour. Thousands of Cherry and Japanese Plum trees bloom so much that they create pink and white blossoms drifts, like snow, on the side of some roads. Spring weather can start in late February, or mid-March.

Summers days are extremely long, with the sun setting past 9:20 pm, and rising at 5 am.

Autumn, again lots of trees changing colour.

All seasons have their own set of clothes, and even the food you eat changes.

I wouldn't be happy in a place that didn't have this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or