U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 02:55 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times

Advertisements

One of the things I like about snow in cities is the calming effect. Those of us who live in cities donít notice how noisy they can be. Itís simply part of the music of the city. All that changes when it snows, however. Traffic, a major source of noise lessens and sometimes stops completely.

I still remember a major dump of snow in the early 1980s when my ex-partner and I where living in central Wilmington. It was evening and we suited up in all of our snow gear and wandered outside to enjoy the winter wonderland. The streets had not seen their first plow. We did hear something unusual, however. Actually, it was what we didnít hear that caught our attention. We walked a few blocks to look down onto I95, covered with snow and totally impassable. Quiet and beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 03:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I love the changing seasons, although critics would say Vancouver has two season, wet and dry.

In reality there are four. Winter has very short days, lots of rain, ( which I don't mind ) and on clear days, the snow on the mountains looming over downtown look spectacular.

Spring here is an explosion of colour. Thousands of Cherry and Japanese Plum trees bloom so much that they create pink and white blossoms drifts, like snow, on the side of some roads. Spring weather can start in late February, or mid-March.

Summers days are extremely long, with the sun setting past 9:20 pm, and rising at 5 am.

Autumn, again lots of trees changing colour.

All seasons have their own set of clothes, and even the food you eat changes.

I wouldn't be happy in a place that didn't have this.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM

44,808 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
sounds exciting! Probably even more so because it is so rare! I saw that Southern Texas got a few inches in the storm last week - even Corpus Christi - looked kinda cool with the palm trees covered with snow. Funny thing is that Texas got snow this year before Flagstaff, which usually gets over 100 inches per year!
Well, we didn't wake up to it - in fact, it was a very big surprise. We had driven to Fort Worth to spend Christmas Day with family, and looked up from Christmas dinner and lo and behold, snow was pelting, and I do mean pelting, down. We got several inches by the time we got home, and it was lovely. It hung on that evening and night and I got some good pictures but the temps were back up around 50 by noon or so the next day so it was short lived.

Last week, we only got snow flurries and points south got the "real" snow - and yes, it was unusual. My friends along the Gulf Coast were excited though!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 AM

64 posts, read 55,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
One of the things I like about snow in cities is the calming effect. Those of us who live in cities donít notice how noisy they can be. Itís simply part of the music of the city. All that changes when it snows, however. Traffic, a major source of noise lessens and sometimes stops completely.

I still remember a major dump of snow in the early 1980s when my ex-partner and I where living in central Wilmington. It was evening and we suited up in all of our snow gear and wandered outside to enjoy the winter wonderland. The streets had not seen their first plow. We did hear something unusual, however. Actually, it was what we didnít hear that caught our attention. We walked a few blocks to look down onto I95, covered with snow and totally impassable. Quiet and beautiful.
Me too! I always try to tell people this and they do not get it! The winter season offers such a different ambiance - I feel like everything quiets down, even more so after a big storm. Like downtown Boston is a different world in the summer vs. winter. Summer is fun in its' own way with so many events and tourists everywhere. But winter is so different. The streets are mostly barren, it is easy to find parking, and the parks take on a whole different look.

The Nemo Blizzard of 2013 when we got like 2 feet of snow the entire city closed down. There were even people cross country skiing in the streets. I remember my husband and I taking a walk while the snow was heavily falling down without a soul in sight. We even went sledding down the road lol as there was absolutely no one around. It was an experience I will never forget - one of the most memorable nights of my life. A winter wonderland better then anything I've seen in a movie. We were snowed in for like 3 days but used this time to relax, play out in the snow, etc.

I miss the calm bleak days of winter - it's like a time to repair your body and mind.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Me too! I always try to tell people this and they do not get it! The winter season offers such a different ambiance - I feel like everything quiets down, even more so after a big storm. Like downtown Boston is a different world in the summer vs. winter. Summer is fun in its' own way with so many events and tourists everywhere. But winter is so different. The streets are mostly barren, it is easy to find parking, and the parks take on a whole different look.

The Nemo Blizzard of 2013 when we got like 2 feet of snow the entire city closed down. There were even people cross country skiing in the streets. I remember my husband and I taking a walk while the snow was heavily falling down without a soul in sight. We even went sledding down the road lol as there was absolutely no one around. It was an experience I will never forget - one of the most memorable nights of my life. A winter wonderland better then anything I've seen in a movie. We were snowed in for like 3 days but used this time to relax, play out in the snow, etc.

I miss the calm bleak days of winter - it's like a time to repair your body and mind.
It's just a break from the monotony. I liked what the poster from Vancouver said, even the food changes and that's true.

When it snowed heavy in DC, the expectations were work from home. It was great.

All that being said, if it's California vs 4 seasons....idk.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Yes again. DC is a huge metro that just shuts down when it snows. It's almost majestic. Love it.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:53 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Quote:

I forget where youíre from. (Perhaps I missed a post detail?) Since you recall Nemo, Iím guessing you lived in New England. Is your username an indication you might be leaving Phoenix soon? Itís evident youíd like to and life is too short.

Hate to tease you, but snow has been falling on Center City Philly now for a couple hours. Itís a fast-moving ďclipperĒ so weíre only going to get a couple inches. Itís pretty, nonetheless. I like seeing it falling in the light cast by the street lamps. In a little bit of time, my husband and I will bundle up, walk to a cozy bistro for dinner, then walk a few more blocks to a theatre for a musical we have tix for.

Snows are not as common here in December. Jeez - itís not even winter yet! Given weíve had two small snows already, I hope we are for primed for a monster later this winter.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:11 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,282,037 times
Change of seasons may/may not be overrated, but they certainly will be overpriced due to the net neutrality vote.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:44 PM

406 posts, read 288,833 times
Well here in Northern New Jersey, we are getting a decent amount of snow tonight, and we have been getting a few flurries throughout the past week.

I've been thinking about it and most of you are right, I am starting to appreciate the little things like coming into a nice warm house and bundling up while watching the snow fall, and different holiday/seasonal foods and drinks. It's a nice little thing to get excited about I guess.

My conclusion is I would absolutely be fine with snow if I lived in a townhome community where most of the shoveling is done for me

Overall though I see where most of you come from now and am starting to appreciate it myself!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:53 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Well here in Northern New Jersey, we are getting a decent amount of snow tonight, and we have been getting a few flurries throughout the past week.

I've been thinking about it and most of you are right, I am starting to appreciate the little things like coming into a nice warm house and bundling up while watching the snow fall, and different holiday/seasonal foods and drinks. It's a nice little thing to get excited about I guess.

My conclusion is I would absolutely be fine with snow if I lived in a townhome community where most of the shoveling is done for me

Overall though I see where most of you come from now and am starting to appreciate it myself!
I'm telling you hun, if you move to Florida or Arizona you might regret it lol. It's gonna be 79/70 on Christmas day in Miami. That's just revolting to me. If you can't even see your breath on Christmas day, it's way too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or