U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,728,318 times

Advertisements

I think for people like me, we regard the weather as an end in itself, not just a background issue. Snowstorms, thunderstorms and the like are an event to be looked forward to (except of course, if they're extreme, but even then they can be kinda fun, depending). A snowstorm during Christmas would definitely add to the ambiance of a family Christmas outing, maybe even if my flight got delayed. A really hairy thunderstorm, to me, is as exciting as any picnic. The picnic can always be held some other time, or moved indoors. Of course, one should always follow the weather when planning an event so to minimize any potential disruptions. But even when those disruptions occur, sometimes it's "worth it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 13,109,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think for people like me, we regard the weather as an end in itself, not just a background issue. Snowstorms, thunderstorms and the like are an event to be looked forward to (except of course, if they're extreme, but even then they can be kinda fun, depending). A snowstorm during Christmas would definitely add to the ambiance of a family Christmas outing, maybe even if my flight got delayed. A really hairy thunderstorm, to me, is as exciting as any picnic. The picnic can always be held some other time, or moved indoors. Of course, one should always follow the weather when planning an event so to minimize any potential disruptions. But even when those disruptions occur, sometimes it's "worth it."
I love snowy weekend nights. Roast a bone in skin on pork loin with rosemary, garlic and olive oil with potatoes underneath sopping up those drippings. A side of green beans with salt and pepper. Sit at the dining room table with family and friends watching the snow fall while sipping Chateauneuf du Pape of course.

Heaven on earth....

Old 10-05-2017, 02:40 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I agree that a break from heat is nice, however when I have to spend a **** ton on winter clothes, and I can't even open the door due to the amount of snow in the middle of January, I envy you
Why are you spending so much on winter clothes? Are you a child going through growth spurts? Do you throw away your jackets in the spring and buy new ones in fall? I still have a nice big jacket I bought in 2012, break it out on cold winter days. Gloves and hats aren't that expensive either. You buy a few good parkas and don't let them break or get lost, there's no reason why winter clothes shopping should be expensive. Unless you care more about being fashionable than warm.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:49 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,728,318 times
The main parka I wear on cold winter days is a ski parka I bought somewhere around 1990.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's all relative. You wouldn't say that if every time you thought about going outside you broke into a sweat. I plan my days around the sun. Lol. I also don't drive much here.
Haha, right. Nothing like living in the South and not having a car and having to walk everywhere. That really makes you appreciate deodorant and A.C.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:55 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
I wish everyday was summer except for Christmas. 80-90 degrees does not bother me one bit, and summer nights are the best.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
I am from and currently live in Erie, PA. I moved to Phoenix, AZ for a short while and have been there for trips several times. I love Phoenix, it's a great city with lots to do, but I could not get over the weather.

Having grown up in a Great Lakes city, I became accustomed to warm summers, cool autumns, snowy winters and rainy springs. I honestly felt the constant sunshine in AZ was a little depressing. I know that sounds stupid, but I just missed the variation in weather.

On the other hand, I don't think I could live in an always cold/winter-like climate zone. I think having four separate seasons always gives you a greater appreciation for each one. Just my opinion, though.
Not stupid at all. "Depressing" to me is a hot dusty desert town, with barely any plant life or water, where the sun constantly beats down.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:04 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
I think 70 and sunny, day after day, month after month, year after year is overrated.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM

406 posts, read 287,937 times
All these different opinions are very interesting. Also would like to add I don't mind a light dusting in the winter, but nothing to me is worse than being trapped inside the house, power lines down from snow, not being able to drive, and just feeling stuck. Also cannot stand being trapped under a cloud for weeks on end and waking up in the morning with it being all dark and cold.

Not that I would necessarily want 80+ degree weather year round, but 55+ year round would be nice.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbymidwest View Post
I respectfully disagree. I spent the first 22 years of my life in Wisconsin/the Midwest and I did not perceive what you claim. Perhaps people behave differently elsewhere.

Most people who live in harsher climates do so because that's where they were born/raised, or their careers took them there. In my experience, very few of these people live as you describe and most tend to complain incessantly about the climate during harsher seasons. When you ask them what they like about living where they do, the often cite other amenities as making up for/negating the effects of their local climate. If they like 'seasonality', it's usually in reference to fall/spring, which tend to be shorter seasons in harsher climates anyways. But when a family member/friend decides to move to a milder climate, suddenly living in a place with 4-6 months of winter becomes a badge of honor/mark of superiority . Funny how that doesn't stop them from begging to visit once temperatures start to drop.

Again, that's my experience. I can't stand people who maintain a superiority complex from living in a harsher climate when it's clearly a coping mechanism. Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone. I do think a lot of Wisconsin's climate is harsher than most places in the states too.

As for your point about exercising, good for you that you maintain consistency in spite of the inconveniences of weather. Most people who live in the climates you described do not exercise frequently. There's a reason exercise rates are higher in 'dull, monotonous' Southern California than places like the Midwest.
You must be speaking only for cheeseheads, my friend Here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes there's no shortage of joggers going around the lakes and parks. In the winter there's people ice skating and skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or