Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:19 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

But to give credit where credit is due, the falls in both Maine and Ohio are gorgeous. Unknown to most people, we do get some decent fall color here in NE Texas, but the thing that's striking about this area compared to the some other points farther north and east, is that we tend to THINK we've got a lot of trees, because we do have more trees than other regions of Texas, but whenever I go "back east" I realize that "more" is a relative term.
It's true that most of East Texas has undergone too much logging, but I'd put the Big Thicket/Deep East Texas up against any place further east, in terms of the sheer volume of forestation. In fact, the only part of the U.S. that I think of as being greener than ET is the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,914,931 times
I don't think so. After having lived in both extremes of New England winter and South Fla endless summer I can say without a doubt my husband and I prefer season change. The endless heat and humidity grinds on you just as much as it would if you had 10 months of brutal winter.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't think so. After having lived in both extremes of New England winter and South Fla endless summer I can say without a doubt my husband and I prefer season change. The endless heat and humidity grinds on you just as much as it would if you had 10 months of brutal winter.
Yep. Difference is there's nowhere in the US that's habitated besides maybe northern Alaska that have 10 or even close 10 months of brutal cold weather. All major US cities experience warm summers but not all major US cities experience cold winters.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yep. Difference is there's nowhere in the US that's habitated besides maybe northern Alaska that have 10 or even close 10 months of brutal cold weather. All major US cities experience warm summers but not all major US cities experience cold winters.
I can't even imagine dealing with a winter as long as Minnesota's, so those brutal parts of AK would be out of the question. You made quite the leap going from FL to where you are now.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I can't even imagine dealing with a winter as long as Minnesota's, so those brutal parts of AK would be out of the question. You made quite the leap going from FL to where you are now.
Honestly the Twin Cities is as far north as I wanna go. Even St. Cloud is too much. Their average low in April is 32 for example where as ours is 37. Sure it's only 5 degrees but that makes the difference in terms of how soon the ground thaws out on average and how soon flowers and leaves return. I think the seasons here are great. It leans to the chilly side but that's fine with me!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
How do y'all like these seasonal changes so far? LOL

Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,195,164 times
Quote:
Right now I’m low key kinda excited for this potentially big snowstorm coming in a few hours since I happen to be off work tomorrow. But ask me again on Saturday where the forecast says it’s gonna be 1 degree F in my city and I’ll probably have a different answer by then.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,392,465 times
Quote:
Love it, but I do feel bad for the animals when it gets this cold.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Love it!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jF5nAQYBg

Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
My brother sent me a picture of his dash thermostat - NEGATIVE 19 degrees up in Ohio yesterday morning. No thank you!

Today is the "warmest" day so far in our cold snap - it's about 30 degrees right now and the sun is sparkling off the heavy frost. That's about how much cold I like in January!

Actually we were down in the teens for a few nights (with highs below freezing) for about four days and yeah - that was cold enough for me. I don't mind some cold weather in January. It's cold weather in March and April that I take issue with. Enough already!

Oh, and I don't want to have to bundle up inside my house either. I don't mind snuggling down with some big woolly socks on, under an afghan by the fire, but I don't want to have to walk around in thermal underwear or a jacket just to be comfortable in the house. Outside - yeah, I'm OK with layers. Inside, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.