U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
LOL you can have this blizzard!! I don't mind a nice light pretty snowfall that doesnt stick and cause car accidents/hours of shoveling, however blizzards where the state declares an emergency, and people get fined for driving on their street are not fun at all to me.
I'll take the blizzard minus the coastal flooding. What's the point of a snowfall if it doesn't stick? Pretty but useless frozen rain. Naah, gimme a couple inches. 7 inches or more

Not sure why it would take hours of shovelling. Are you shovelling an entire baseball field? I have nothing to shovel. A tiny dirt driveway (my roommates should be the ones shovelling anyway, not like they drive me anywhere lol) and the sidewalk in front of my house. Even with a foot of fresh snow it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes. Nah, let it snow. I don't have anywhere to go, my job is down on the corner I walk anyway. Just me, my kitty, some hot chocolate and wine. Let the MNDOT do their thang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I keep it at about 69 in the winter and about 72 in the summer. That's comfortable for me and I don't have to take off and put on clothes all the time just to go in and out of the house. I mean, I don't mind a coat in the winter, or even a coat and scarf but when I lived in a much colder climate I had to have a mud room with hooks for all the gear because every time I went out I'd have to put on: coat, hat, gloves, scarf, extra socks, boots. Then in reverse coming back in except this time many items were cold, wet, and/or muddy.

Oh, and I had four kids to do the same with so to go in or out took us about 20 minutes of preparation or "unprepping."

And the dryer was down in the basement - four floors down - so there's that.

It's just not my thing.
I never heard of a mud room. We just have a coat rack in front of the front door. House is insulated and warm. I keep my big jacket there most of the time and some sweaters, scarves etc. If I'm going out just to go to work or the store (only a minute away) I don't bother with my jacket, even in subzero weather. I just go with my sweaters, a hat and tennis shoes. If its particularly cold I may have pyjama pants or sweats under my jeans. I don't bother with a gloves or scarf if I'm just going to the store. I spend more time in the store than walking to and from. I will inadvertedly walk on snow because the pathway from my porch to the sidewalk is covered in snow so yes, my shoes will get wet from the snow but it's no big deal, I just wipe them on the carpet when I come in and we have a rubber walkway laid on the carpet to not get the carpet dirty. Mud from the snow is never an issue, only if someone is careless and doesn't wipe their feet right and thats just as likely to happen from rain in warmer climates.

The only time I bundle up all the way is if I'm going outside to be outside or to commute somewhere like school, which will involve waiting for the bus etc. Yea bundling up can take a while and its annoying but its a first world problem in the end. I learnt to keep winter wear away from walls that face the outside and from windows, though, because they will get cold.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM

406 posts, read 288,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'll take the blizzard minus the coastal flooding. What's the point of a snowfall if it doesn't stick? Pretty but useless frozen rain. Naah, gimme a couple inches. 7 inches or more

Not sure why it would take hours of shovelling. Are you shovelling an entire baseball field? I have nothing to shovel. A tiny dirt driveway (my roommates should be the ones shovelling anyway, not like they drive me anywhere lol) and the sidewalk in front of my house. Even with a foot of fresh snow it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes. Nah, let it snow. I don't have anywhere to go, my job is down on the corner I walk anyway. Just me, my kitty, some hot chocolate and wine. Let the MNDOT do their thang.
LOL not sure how long you've lived in a cold weather climate for but lemme tell ya it gets old much quicker than living through hot subtropic climates.

Not necessarily hours, but I meant that, for instance in this current storm, it snowed basically all day. During these types of storms I go out multiple times to shovel instead of waiting till the next stay so im not struggling shoveling ice and more snow. So I went out at around 2 while it was still light out and had to basically dig all my cars out, the end of my driveway, my sidewalk, and my backyard so i could make a path for my dog to use the bathroom.

I then had to re-shovel at around 6 or 7, which took another half hour or so. Mind you with below 0 degree wind chill, snow blowing in your face, getting wet, etc.

Yes snuggling inside is nice during a storm but most people at least in the northeast tend to do the shoveling on their own.

And the benefit of having snowfall that doesn't stick is having the pleasure of watching it from inside or looking around at it, and not having it effect transportation to work and conveniences around you, flights, etc.

Like I said believe me, it will get old eventually. I know hurricanes/flooding sucks, but blizzards in the north are way more frequent than destructive hurricanes in the south.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
LOL not sure how long you've lived in a cold weather climate for but lemme tell ya it gets old much quicker than living through hot subtropic climates.

Not necessarily hours, but I meant that, for instance in this current storm, it snowed basically all day. During these types of storms I go out multiple times to shovel instead of waiting till the next stay so im not struggling shoveling ice and more snow. So I went out at around 2 while it was still light out and had to basically dig all my cars out, the end of my driveway, my sidewalk, and my backyard so i could make a path for my dog to use the bathroom.

I then had to re-shovel at around 6 or 7, which took another half hour or so. Mind you with below 0 degree wind chill, snow blowing in your face, getting wet, etc.

Yes snuggling inside is nice during a storm but most people at least in the northeast tend to do the shoveling on their own.

And the benefit of having snowfall that doesn't stick is having the pleasure of watching it from inside or looking around at it, and not having it effect transportation to work and conveniences around you, flights, etc.

Like I said believe me, it will get old eventually. I know hurricanes/flooding sucks, but blizzards in the north are way more frequent than destructive hurricanes in the south.

Disagree. Look, I lived in warm climates for 23 years. For starters I don't like hot weather very much. I enjoy it in summer but thats about it. I'd rather have it be snowing and 25 degrees in April than 95 degrees and sunny in October, and thats considering I'm not a fan of April snow. The heat is exhausting and oppressive to me. I don't have a car and I'd rather walk in the cold than the heat. I've had to walk home in the heat, 30 minutes from a bus stop to my house just to save money and it downright sucked. By the time I got home I was sweaty and bitten from mosquitoes and needed a shower. 30 minute walks in the cold? Shoot I walked to downtown St. Paul and back after we got our first blizzard a month ago in temps in the teens, just fine.

Even if I wasn't a fan of freezing cold my body still handles it better than the heat. But the fact is I actually love the cold. Also I live in Minnesota, snow doesn't affect transportation here and when it does, it only does for a little bit. We have amazing snow removal up here. I don't know how they do it on the east coast but its fantastic here. But that's why I'd rather live this far north, its far enough north where snow is a normal part of winter, and far enough north where everyone knows how to deal with. I feel like the Mid-Atlantic is north enough to get snow, but too far south where they aren't as experienced in dealing with it like up here or in much of Canada.

I don't think it will get old. I mean for starters we don't even get that much snow here. The difference is here it stays below freezing 95% of the winter, so the snow we get doesn't melt so by the end we have like 3 feet, but most snowfalls are about an inch or so. In fact the one blizzard we had didn't even get deep snow just a lot of wind. Also its January already, its gotten below zero constantly since Christmas and I'm not even sick of the cold. I feel that if and when I get sick the cold, its practically already spring anyway. Nah, the heat is what bothers me. Hot sticky weather that lasts forever and ever and the nasty creatures that come with it (reptiles and insects) I have a phobia of lizards and the fact I never have to worry about seeing a lizard inside my room, and therefore sleeping on the couch, is a major bonus! For the record, I actually enjoyed hurricanes growing up in Florida, especially if it cancelled school. Thats my thing, if I'm the kind of person who actually found hurricanes exciting and kinda fun, why would I be bothered by a blizzard which is far less destructive and far more beautiful. Also, I don't live by the ocean so I won't have to worry about the horrible coastal flooding like New England is getting. That's the one part of the storm I can do without.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Disagree. Look, I lived in warm climates for 23 years. For starters I don't like hot weather very much. I enjoy it in summer but thats about it. I'd rather have it be snowing and 25 degrees in April than 95 degrees and sunny in October, and thats considering I'm not a fan of April snow. The heat is exhausting and oppressive to me. I don't have a car and I'd rather walk in the cold than the heat. I've had to walk home in the heat, 30 minutes from a bus stop to my house just to save money and it downright sucked. By the time I got home I was sweaty and bitten from mosquitoes and needed a shower. 30 minute walks in the cold? Shoot I walked to downtown St. Paul and back after we got our first blizzard a month ago in temps in the teens, just fine.

Even if I wasn't a fan of freezing cold my body still handles it better than the heat. But the fact is I actually love the cold. Also I live in Minnesota, snow doesn't affect transportation here and when it does, it only does for a little bit. We have amazing snow removal up here. I don't know how they do it on the east coast but its fantastic here. But that's why I'd rather live this far north, its far enough north where snow is a normal part of winter, and far enough north where everyone knows how to deal with. I feel like the Mid-Atlantic is north enough to get snow, but too far south where they aren't as experienced in dealing with it like up here or in much of Canada.

I don't think it will get old. I mean for starters we don't even get that much snow here. The difference is here it stays below freezing 95% of the winter, so the snow we get doesn't melt so by the end we have like 3 feet, but most snowfalls are about an inch or so. In fact the one blizzard we had didn't even get deep snow just a lot of wind. Also its January already, its gotten below zero constantly since Christmas and I'm not even sick of the cold. I feel that if and when I get sick the cold, its practically already spring anyway. Nah, the heat is what bothers me. Hot sticky weather that lasts forever and ever and the nasty creatures that come with it (reptiles and insects) I have a phobia of lizards and the fact I never have to worry about seeing a lizard inside my room, and therefore sleeping on the couch, is a major bonus! For the record, I actually enjoyed hurricanes growing up in Florida, especially if it cancelled school. Thats my thing, if I'm the kind of person who actually found hurricanes exciting and kinda fun, why would I be bothered by a blizzard which is far less destructive and far more beautiful. Also, I don't live by the ocean so I won't have to worry about the horrible coastal flooding like New England is getting. That's the one part of the storm I can do without.
Good points I guess, we usually do tend to get more snow than you guys so I guess you are right.

I only lived in SWFL for a year and have stayed with family in Phoenix during the summer and honestly loved the heat but im weird like that. I for some reason would take the 95 in October over the snow in April any day, but hey I guess that's what makes the world go round

Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 AM

44,780 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Good points I guess, we usually do tend to get more snow than you guys so I guess you are right.

I only lived in SWFL for a year and have stayed with family in Phoenix during the summer and honestly loved the heat but im weird like that. I for some reason would take the 95 in October over the snow in April any day, but hey I guess that's what makes the world go round
Same here. I love spring and do not want to be cold then at all. But like you say, these differences make the world go round - or something like that. Anyway, there's room for all of us, in whatever type of climate we prefer, so that's good.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Well if you actually love hot weather its a different story. There's more to living in Florida than hot weather, though. I think the quality of life is really poor in a lot of the state. Honestly, I'd recommend Texas. I love Texas and if I loved it more I would put up with the heat and have stayed there, but I prefer Minnesota.

I just like having 4 seasons. I would not enjoy living in Alaska where its cold for so long. The cold can drag up here some times I'm sure but not the extent people exaggerate. Cold weather that lasts as long as heat does in Florida would suck. I like having a balance. Fall is amazing here, winter being my second favourite. Summer is nice and warm but not too hot. I haven't experienced a full spring yet but it was gorgeous when I visited last April. Plenty of rain, too. I love rain in spring.

Btw I hated whenever it got to the 90s in October in Texas, as do most Texans. Trust us, we probably complain more about unseasonal heat then y'all do about unseasonable cold lol. It actually has snowed in Texas in April as well, interestingly enough. Easter 2007 was spent in the snow in much of the state.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:25 AM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:

Yep, different strokes for different folks. There is no right answer when it comes to weather.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Well if you actually love hot weather its a different story. There's more to living in Florida than hot weather, though. I think the quality of life is really poor in a lot of the state. Honestly, I'd recommend Texas. I love Texas and if I loved it more I would put up with the heat and have stayed there, but I prefer Minnesota.

I just like having 4 seasons. I would not enjoy living in Alaska where its cold for so long. The cold can drag up here some times I'm sure but not the extent people exaggerate. Cold weather that lasts as long as heat does in Florida would suck. I like having a balance. Fall is amazing here, winter being my second favourite. Summer is nice and warm but not too hot. I haven't experienced a full spring yet but it was gorgeous when I visited last April. Plenty of rain, too. I love rain in spring.

Btw I hated whenever it got to the 90s in October in Texas, as do most Texans. Trust us, we probably complain more about unseasonal heat then y'all do about unseasonable cold lol. It actually has snowed in Texas in April as well, interestingly enough. Easter 2007 was spent in the snow in much of the state.
I actually hear great things about Minnesota! Heard the same about Florida as well when it comes to QOL in most areas except the well to do areas, and areas retirees are in.

Hope you continue to enjoy Minnesota!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:37 AM

44,780 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
April 8 2007 it did snow in some parts of Texas (not where I live in NE Texas though) - it was a very rare snowfall and happens about once every 80 years or so. I'm sure glad we didn't get any snow that year. I hate cold springs.

Likewise, the average high in Texas in October is 79 degrees, so yes, we do complain if it spikes into the 90s like it did last October. Record highs last October were recorded in 16 states, including a record high of 87 in NYC and Norfolk, VA, a high of 86 in Philly, and 87 in DC and Delaware. Sheeze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or