U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 09:14 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,443,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I lived in Houston for 26 years as well as several cities in the north. You are not describing my experience. Two words: Live Oaks.

I’ll leave it there.
Well I'll leave three words that summarize winters up north and the biggest damage that you face:
salted cars undercarriages

The truck I had up north when I moved south they asked "Did you used to drive this along the dunes at the Gulf of Mexico with waves splashing because you have a lot of salt damage?" I said "Nope, just lived up north..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,311,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Snow in April is MUCH WORSE than 80's in December if you have the hobbies I have. I'm a gardener, snow in spring when plants are blooming is disastrous. In Texas yes it may swing from 90 to 50 but the last freeze is early to mid March. From then until early December (that's the first freeze in Austin) I can be assured plants will survive outside with no freezes...

I guess if I was a snowboarder in CO then I'd welcome spring snow but I'm a gardener so no, I don't welcome it.
Eh, I grew up on an acreage and my parents have always had (and continue to have) a large garden and a dozen or so fruit trees. The only issue they have ever run into is every 4 to 5 years you get a late freeze that kills many of the cherry blossoms. The positive side to that is the next year is always a massive bumper crop with less pests which is great since my folks don't spray.

As for the garden? You can get portable greenhouses even a box to protect them from frost. It isn't hard or time consuming.

Living up north never stopped anyone who wanted to grow things, heck, people grow stuff up in Alaska during the summer.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
For you maybe, not for that poster. But the point is it happens almost every April there. And that reason prompted him to move to Texas - where while the temperature can swing, snow in April would be rare there. Now slam your fist some more and tell us it's no big deal.
I live where it can (but usually doesn't) snow in May, and I say snow in April is no big deal. Not when it happens a handful of days. April has 30 days are we gonna really judge the whole month because of a few snow days?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:
Snow in April is MUCH WORSE than 80's in December if you have the hobbies I have. I'm a gardener, snow in spring when plants are blooming is disastrous. In Texas yes it may swing from 90 to 50 but the last freeze is early to mid March. From then until early December (that's the first freeze in Austin) I can be assured plants will survive outside with no freezes...

I guess if I was a snowboarder in CO then I'd welcome spring snow but I'm a gardener so no, I don't welcome it.
I could understand that. I love gardening too but I enjoy a challenge. Also my favourite flower doesn't do well in Texas but it does amazing up here and can even handle a little bit of snow.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM

514 posts, read 379,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't mind change of seasons, except for winter. I live in Austin, Texas, I am thrilled that cold and windy weather, (and the occasional sleet, snow or icy weather) never hangs around much more than 2 or 3 days, 4 days tops - usually, that is.

When the cold snap leaves the area, it's a good bet that within the next day or two, the temperature will warm up to a balmy 60 to 65 degrees.
This.
But I really like it on the west coast where you can drive up into the winter stuff for a day, then get the hell back out of it. The only thing that's good about snow in Texas is that it melts...real fast. Wish I could say the same for the summer heat tho.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Eh, I grew up on an acreage and my parents have always had (and continue to have) a large garden and a dozen or so fruit trees. The only issue they have ever run into is every 4 to 5 years you get a late freeze that kills many of the cherry blossoms. The positive side to that is the next year is always a massive bumper crop with less pests which is great since my folks don't spray.

As for the garden? You can get portable greenhouses even a box to protect them from frost. It isn't hard or time consuming.

Living up north never stopped anyone who wanted to grow things, heck, people grow stuff up in Alaska during the summer.
I guarantee you don't grow satsumas up there...

Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
This.
But I really like it on the west coast where you can drive up into the winter stuff for a day, then get the hell back out of it. The only thing that's good about snow in Texas is that it melts...real fast. Wish I could say the same for the summer heat tho.
The West Coast has the best climate, there's no debating that. While the East coast and Midwest (as well as Deep South) was in a deep freeze, San Francisco was routinely in the upper 50's/low 60's, Sacramento in the low to mid 60's and LA in the 70's and 80's.

Also, even LA has ski resorts nearby. You can literally surf on an 80 degree day at the beach and then be in the mountains in snow later that day.

Northern CA has the same thing, but it's a much further drive. If you live in the SF Bay Area, it's more or less a full day's drive to the resorts. Sacramento is actually much more accessible to the mountains if that is your main interest.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:35 PM

377 posts, read 202,818 times
Quote:
Also, even LA has ski resorts nearby. You can literally surf on an 80 degree day at the beach and then be in the mountains in snow later that day.
80 degrees on the beach in SoCal is very rare during the winter months. 60s and lower 70s is the norm. Usually when the trough system sets up such that the jet stream dips over the EC bringing colder weather, it's raised over the WC bringing warmer weather. But the same is also true in reverse. When the EC has those nice balmy winter days, the WC is usually getting pounded with Pacific systems. As someone who has lived on the WC, I never bothered to do the whole "surf and ski on the same day." It usually requires waking up at 4am to get your skiing in early and by the time you hit the beach, the sun is already setting and it's a bit unpleasantly cool. I have surfed there in the winter, but only with a wetsuit. With a big enough wetsuit you can pretty much enter the water anywhere.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM

6,582 posts, read 4,102,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
As someone who has lived on the WC, I never bothered to do the whole "surf and ski on the same day." It usually requires waking up at 4am to get your skiing in early and by the time you hit the beach, the sun is already setting and it's a bit unpleasantly cool. I have surfed there in the winter, but only with a wetsuit. With a big enough wetsuit you can pretty much enter the water anywhere.
Yes, I agree. It sounds great to say you can surf and skii on the same day, but almost no one actually does it. Surfing spots and skiing spots in SoCal are a minimum of 2 hours apart. (From where I live, the nearest beach is 1/2 hour in one direction, the nearest ski resort 1 1/2 hours in the opposite direction). Given the short winter days, that's a lot of driving without much time to enjoy either activity.

But it IS really nice to be able to drive up to the mountains, play with the kids in the snow for a few hours, and drive home to nice, dry, 70-degree weather. That's enough snow for any of us.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 PM

4,257 posts, read 2,522,601 times
My daughter was quite upset that the outdoor hockey rink we spent 3 hrs at on Sunday was melting yesterday. It's 55 degrees but should be frozen solid again by the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or