U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 03:02 PM

45,030 posts, read 36,268,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wonder why no one in the South ever has toilet paper or food supplies before it snows I thought most people generally have all that stocked for the most part.

I am lucky to live on the same block as a grocery store (plus I don't drive now.. a bit unlucky in that my car died last fall) so we could have a record breaking white out blizzard and I could still make it to the grocery store!

One thing I find funny is in early winter when the first snows came, customers complained "ugh! It started again!" And when the first below zeros came they made a big deal about how cold it is. But now in the middle of January everyone's so used to it that yesterday during the most snow we have gotten this season, instead of complaining, customers have stated "Gosh it's so beautiful out, isn't it?" "What a pretty snowfall." and no one even mentions the cold when it's below zero. Everyone's just adjusted so much they don't notice haha. It's funny how different climates are that in the South people have this attitude of "It's nice and all but I am glad it won't stick around too long." Here we know it will stick around for months. The concept of snow only lasting 3-4 days tops is unheard of in these parts.
Don't get me wrong - we have plenty of everything, but after living through an ice storm that incapacitated and immobilized us for five days (twice) I am paranoid about running out of toilet paper - LOL. And coffee. And I bought a big bottle of vino too. Just in case I'm, you know, stranded. For two days - HA!

This is forecast to melt on Thursday but I'm hoping for three or four inches so I can at least get some good pictures and the kids can enjoy a real snowfall. Usually we only get 1-2 inches and that's pretty but it's gone by noon most times.

I'll tell you what was funny at the grocery store. No one had a huge pile of groceries but I did see a lot of toilet paper, coffee, milk, diapers, that sort of thing. Same things we bought, minus the diapers. We also bought a huge bag of dog food - I'd hate for our overweight dogs to be the slightest bit hungry for even an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:10 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't get me wrong - we have plenty of everything, but after living through an ice storm that incapacitated and immobilized us for five days (twice) I am paranoid about running out of toilet paper - LOL. And coffee. And I bought a big bottle of vino too. Just in case I'm, you know, stranded. For two days - HA!

This is forecast to melt on Thursday but I'm hoping for three or four inches so I can at least get some good pictures and the kids can enjoy a real snowfall. Usually we only get 1-2 inches and that's pretty but it's gone by noon most times.

I'll tell you what was funny at the grocery store. No one had a huge pile of groceries but I did see a lot of toilet paper, coffee, milk, diapers, that sort of thing. Same things we bought, minus the diapers. We also bought a huge bag of dog food - I'd hate for our overweight dogs to be the slightest bit hungry for even an hour.
I only experienced one ice storm the entire time in Texas, thankfully. The whole time I was frustrated that it wasn't snowing. Texas hasn't had a properly snowy winter since 2015. I think 2014 was snowy too but I didn't move there til the end of the year. Thankfully freezing rain isn't too common this far north. The roads are only really icy it it had rained before a snowfall or a freeze in general or if we had a thaw/freeze thing go on. Now, Iowa... uff Iowa had terrible roads right after Christmas. I-35 was an ice rink.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:20 PM

377 posts, read 202,922 times
Quote:
But now in the middle of January everyone's so used to it that yesterday during the most snow we have gotten this season, instead of complaining, customers have stated "Gosh it's so beautiful out, isn't it?" "What a pretty snowfall."
Well, you can say the same thing about Singapore. It's basically 90 degrees here (+ or minus 5 degrees) everyday, 365 days of the year. The hot and sticky heat here is part of everyday life that no one really notices. People walk outside in suits without breaking a sweat, al fresco dining fills up, and during the night you will see elderly people in light blazers despite that it's still in the 80s and very humid. When it rains or the high doesn't go much past 85 degrees, people remark how "cool" it is. This is day in and day out life in a climate that pretty much never changes. The record high is 97 degrees, the record low is 67 degrees. It will bore you with its consistency but in consistency there is comfort. No matter where I go, when I return I can always expect the same weather.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:36 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,322,528 times
Living in Miami, I welcome Winter. It's a nice break from the heat and humidity. Days are generally pleasant, tho it can get cool at night. I spent the holidays in Philadelphia area this year and it was unusually cold while I was there. I couldn't wait to get back. I instantly felt like I could breathe better once I got back to Miami.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM

4,872 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Is that common in CO? The city declared a snow emergency from yesterday's snow so tonight snow emergency routes will be plowed.
Not sure, haven't been here long enough. As you here everywhere, people can't drive here when it snows. j/k. Everyone was drivign slow, but lots of accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Well, you can say the same thing about Singapore. It's basically 90 degrees here (+ or minus 5 degrees) everyday, 365 days of the year. The hot and sticky heat here is part of everyday life that no one really notices. People walk outside in suits without breaking a sweat, al fresco dining fills up, and during the night you will see elderly people in light blazers despite that it's still in the 80s and very humid. When it rains or the high doesn't go much past 85 degrees, people remark how "cool" it is. This is day in and day out life in a climate that pretty much never changes. The record high is 97 degrees, the record low is 67 degrees. It will bore you with its consistency but in consistency there is comfort. No matter where I go, when I return I can always expect the same weather.
97? please. That's fall in the south.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM

2,833 posts, read 1,313,873 times
Quote:
I only experienced one ice storm the entire time in Texas, thankfully. The whole time I was frustrated that it wasn't snowing. Texas hasn't had a properly snowy winter since 2015. I think 2014 was snowy too but I didn't move there til the end of the year. Thankfully freezing rain isn't too common this far north. The roads are only really icy it it had rained before a snowfall or a freeze in general or if we had a thaw/freeze thing go on. Now, Iowa... uff Iowa had terrible roads right after Christmas. I-35 was an ice rink.
2015 was the last "Snowy" year in here in the metroplex. I worked at DFW Airport at the time and had to be there at 445 am to check in cars on the roof, it was genuinely cold and it sucks looking for damage on cars covered in ice. They actually paid for a bunch of the employees to stay over at one the the hotels near the airport and my mangers though I was insane for choosing to drive from my apartment at the time which was only 15 min away.

2011 was my first winter in the metroplex and we had a big snow/ice storm. They actually had 3 or 4 inches so it was enough to sled. We had 4 days off from college classes which was awesome.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
97? please. That's fall in the south.
Are you making this a competition? Lol.

Here is one competition for you. Houston, Texas has only 2 months that average above 74 degrees for a nightly low. Miami has only 4 months. Phoenix has only 4 as well. Singapore? All 12 months of the year average above 74 degrees for a low. The only way you will experience what even 70 degrees feels like in Singapore is in ACed areas.

We won't even mention that Singapore is much much more humid than any American Southern city - be it Houston, New Orleans, or Miami.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartsIceCream View Post
The only thing that is overrated when it comes to the "change of seasons" is how many people gush over New England fall foliage as if it's the only place that has it and the rest of the Northeast doesn't.

I still have yet to find an explanation for this phenomenon.

I'm pretty sure the fall foliage I have witnessed in New York and Philadelphia was no different than in Boston.

I was unaware the fall colors stopped at the Vermont/New York border because Upstate NY is just as picturesque and gorgeous.

I think the answer is just marketing.
The best Fall Foliage I have seen was driving through Maine sometime in October. If you're too far North or South you lose some of the vibrant colors and/or diversity of the deciduous trees.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 AM

45,030 posts, read 36,268,604 times
OMG, the horror. SO GLAD I don't have to go anywhere today and that I stocked up on dog food, coffee, and toilet paper!
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-snow-front-porch-jan-2018.jpg  

Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG, the horror. SO GLAD I don't have to go anywhere today and that I stocked up on dog food, coffee, and toilet paper!
You Southerners can't even do winter storms right. How are you going to make french toast with dog food and coffee???

I prefer four seasons. I really hate heat and humidity, so there's no way I would live in the south. I prefer the semi-arid climate of where I live. Winter is probably my least favorite season, but it's not so bad here because it's usually pretty sunny and the Chinook winds give us some mild days. I'm not a huge fan of spring here, because you never know what you're going to get. March is our snowiest month, and we've had a foot of snow on Mother's Day before. Summer and fall are wonderful.

The biggest negatives here are the wind and hail. I've just learned that I can't have nice things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or