U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 08:26 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
New snow is pretty. The issue is that it doesn't stay new and fresh for long - and then it just gets wet, icy, dirty, heavy, etc and that's what I can't stand. And I've lived in plenty of places that "retain" snow past it's "fresh, pretty stage" (which is basically a few hours) and I just don't care for it. To each his own.

We still have fall colors in December here. By the end of February, things are already starting to green back up. So at the most we have two months of brown. But we don't have piles of dirty old snow, or slick parking lots or steps or porches, etc. etc.

Everyone has their preferences and mine is less wet snow and ice and icicles and salt on the roads (and undercarriage of my car, etc.)
Idk, the snow in my experience only gets dirty on heavy traffic areas. I go for walks all the time in the cold and like I said, I only see dirty snow on the busy streets. Most of the residential areas where I like to walk (especially around Christmas time) have super clean mostly untouched snow. Its beautiful. My front lawn has had snow on it for a month and a half and it hasn't gotten dirty. My roommate, thank God, does not let the dogs potty up front, they go in the back. Snow doesn't get dirty out of nowhere. It has to be driven on, splashed on or walked on too much, for it to get dirty. Go out into the country it stays even cleaner.

Also it stays cold here for so long that snow doesn't get very wet. I actually wish we had the wetter kind, I haven't been able to make a big snowman! It just doesn't stick!!!

Also, they don't count as fall colours if they happen in DECEMBER! Those are winter colours! Though in my experience fall colours in Texas are mostly gone in December. They usually start right around Halloween and are gone about a week after Thanksgiving. Depends on the season. There's usually only a few colours in December. By December I don't wanna see a single leaf, anyway. Btw, for some weird reason there's a deciduous tree on the block across from me that still has green leaves! They're all dry and saggy but they're still 100% green. Weird. There's also other trees that haven't let go of their brown leaves no matter how windy it's gotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:36 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, I really really really dislike French toast so that is not a problem! (I can't stand syrup on eggs.)

And we don't do winter storms "right" because they are so rare around here that we don't spend millions of tax dollars on storm equipment. This is literally record breaking cold here - as in, the coldest it's been in about 25 years! I am freezing my butt off! It's ten degrees here right now and all the ice from yesterday refroze on the roads, so the schools are closed again since we have such a small number of trucks that can spread sand - too many minor roads that are still as slick as glass.

It's so cold and ugly outside - I can't imagine living in this sort of frozen tundra for weeks or months at a time. My daughter up in Ohio said, "Oh Mom, it's OK...as long as you stay inside and drink hot tea!" Well, I did that all day yesterday and the novelty has worn completely off.

I like four seasons too, but I don't insist that they get "equal time." I'll be honest - I liked waking up to a blanket of snow (and ice) yesterday - but it's time for it to go. Thank goodness it will be warmed up by tomorrow! One day too long in my opinion!
I was teasing about the storms. I know you don't have the same equipment that we do up here.

We barely got above zero on Monday, it got into the fifties today and it's supposed to be close to 60 tomorrow. The snow we got over the weekend has mostly melted already. For me, the biggest factor in my winter mood is the sun. Occasionally I enjoy a cloudy, gloomy, cold day but for the most part, I don't mind the cold when we have a lot of sun. I would have a hard time dealing with the winter dreariness in the Great Lakes and the northeast.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I can't do the nasty dry weather in CO. Nose bleeds and cracked skin, yuck! Every time I'm there I see people that are 40 that look 60, their skin is so dry and cracked. Down here people have that nice soft skin.
I live in South Dakota. It's not so dry that my skin cracks and my nose bleeds. Yes, my skin always dries out in the winter, but no worse than when I lived in Eastern Nebraska.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I was teasing about the storms. I know you don't have the same equipment that we do up here.

We barely got above zero on Monday, it got into the fifties today and it's supposed to be close to 60 tomorrow. The snow we got over the weekend has mostly melted already. For me, the biggest factor in my winter mood is the sun. Occasionally I enjoy a cloudy, gloomy, cold day but for the most part, I don't mind the cold when we have a lot of sun. I would have a hard time dealing with the winter dreariness in the Great Lakes and the northeast.
I do love the sunshine we get in the winter. The glare can be overwhelming, though. I also like the cold days with little wind. Add just a bit of wind and it can feel brutal. I like it best between 0-30 in the winter with sunshine or snowfall. If its gonna be windy then it should be on a snowy day, as I love the look of snow flying through the air. I wouldn't want a winter where every thing melts so quickly, though. I'd rather the snow stay throughout the season.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I do love the sunshine we get in the winter. The glare can be overwhelming, though. I also like the cold days with little wind. Add just a bit of wind and it can feel brutal. I like it best between 0-30 in the winter with sunshine or snowfall. If its gonna be windy then it should be on a snowy day, as I love the look of snow flying through the air. I wouldn't want a winter where every thing melts so quickly, though. I'd rather the snow stay throughout the season.
I'm not a fan of the wind here, but you take the bad with good, right? I like a cold, barely windy (we never have no wind...haha) day with blue skies and lots of sunshine. I like that the snow doesn't stay on the ground for months. I prefer the look of a fresh snowfall, and then I like it to melt before it starts looking gross. LOL

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 AM

45,042 posts, read 36,285,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That lasts for a few weeks and then everything gets green. In a Texas winter its just dead looking from December through February and only looks nice on the rare snow day. I don't think its the "worst thing ever" by any means, I mean I'd rather that then no seasonal changes at all, but I'll take a snowy white winter over it any day. Spring up north is gorgeous. Sure it takes a while longer to green up but when it does, its absolutely beautiful. Btw I think spring in Texas is beautiful too. Its the prettiest season because fall is relatively dull and summer, well summer anywhere is "default."
See, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whenever I drive around Texas in the thankfully short few weeks of winter, in the sparkling sunshine, I don't see "brown and dead." I see "NO SNOW AND ICE." And to me, that's beautiful!

We haven't had a dry summer in awhile, which is nice, because things have stayed very green and lush. I don't like September here after a dry summer - things looked dusty and haggard.

One other good thing about this area is that we do have lots of pines, so those stay green. Lots of homes use winter rye grass (we do too) so the lawn stays green. Lots of evergreen shrubs as well. So while the deciduous trees are bare, we still have pops of green everywhere. In fact, WHEN THE ICE AND SNOW MELTS TODAY (cannot wait for that to happen) I am going to go outside and see if any of my camellias survived the onslaught of freezing weather and ice, and if they did, I'll pick some and enjoy fresh flowers in my house. Hope springs eternal.

I cannot express just how happy I will be not to see dirty icicles hanging from the bumpers of every truck in town. Slick steps. Black ice. Every surface wet or icy or a combination of the two. Daytime highs in the teens or low twenties. I swear, my dogs even have cabin fever.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I live in South Dakota. It's not so dry that my skin cracks and my nose bleeds. Yes, my skin always dries out in the winter, but no worse than when I lived in Eastern Nebraska.
Even worse. You go from 0 to 50 and back to 0 in a matter of days. Then summer can be as hot as Texas.

You could double my salary and I still wouldn't accept living up in that frozen wasteland.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Thought I'd brave the 16 degree temperatures (BLECH) and take a few pictures of the "beauty of snow" two days later. Yes, our two or three inches was pretty the first few hours of the first day. Novel, even - which is even better! But two days later, this is what it looks like. And to think that some people live with this mess for weeks on end. No, thanks! I am DONE with it and cannot wait for it all to melt, which should be later today! YEEHAW!

By the way, I just posted these pictures on social media and immediately got a response from one of my many relatives up in Ohio. She said this, "We've been looking at this sort of thing for months now." Ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-front-view-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-porch-chair-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-ice-porch-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-rain-chain-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-patio-ice-.jpg  

Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-patio-chair-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-back-yard-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-mud-.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-fire-pit-.jpg  

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-18-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,450,839 times
This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIfHuCHL0Xo

Old 01-18-2018, 06:46 AM

I'm just grateful I haven't slipped and fallen - knock on wood.

Yesterday at an intersection where there is still ice across the road, I actually saw a wreck involving a wrecker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or