U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 AM

44,855 posts, read 36,203,761 times

Advertisements

Yay, come on, Texas sunshine - melt this stuff!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-melt-stuff-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM

514 posts, read 379,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The snow doesn't get dirty in residential streets. Why would it? There's hardly any traffic. Now on busy streets like Hennepin Ave in Minneapolis or 7th Street in Saint Paul, yea the snow gets ugly and dirty especially if there's been a thaw and cars splash mud, making it grey and brown. What looks ugly about the snow in those pictures? Its all clean and white. Its from a fresh snowfall and my neighbourhood does not get a lot of traffic in residential streets to make it all dirty. And have you been to the parks in winter? I went sledding last month at Kenwood Park in Minneapolis and it was a winter wonderland. Super clean snow, beautiful hills and trees. Sorry you can't appreciate wintry aesthetics. Maybe yer just not built fer da nort, eh?

Where are you bringing below zero for? Minneapolis or Denton? I never said Denton was having below zero, they've just been having below freezing. I don't even know when the last time North Texas was below zero. No, Denton is currently cold but it doesn't last long. But if its gonna be below freezing all day like it was yesterday and much of today, it might as well snow. All my friends down there have been sour about the lack of snow this winter. Freezing cold weather is useless if there's no snow. Thats how our November was here in Minnesota. A buncha freezing days with no snow whatsoever. Really lame. There's a lot more to do when there's snow outside. I still am dying to go cross country skiing.
Sorry, I meant below freezing not zero, I don't think I've ever been in sub zero enviroment.
I guess seeing snow everywhere you look gets old for me real quick, grass and trees look better even when they're dormant. A lot of my friends and co-workers wish it would snow more in north Texas, while I hate the cold afternoons of <40 degrees, at least there's not many of those and can get back to bike riding and maybe some golf this weekend. I've lived most of my life in CA and TX so I guess I'm really not built for cold at all. I notice that I really do thrive way better than most people in the summers here as I'm out in it every day.

We used to drive up to the Sierra Nevada mtns to go sledding and snowboarding, but at least we didn't have to live in it. Maybe some people can find enough to do and enjoy snow for days on end. I suppose everyone is capable of adapting, but we all have our preferences.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Sorry, I meant below freezing not zero, I don't think I've ever been in sub zero enviroment.
I guess seeing snow everywhere you look gets old for me real quick, grass and trees look better even when they're dormant. A lot of my friends and co-workers wish it would snow more in north Texas, while I hate the cold afternoons of <40 degrees, at least there's not many of those and can get back to bike riding and maybe some golf this weekend. I've lived most of my life in CA and TX so I guess I'm really not built for cold at all. I notice that I really do thrive way better than most people in the summers here as I'm out in it every day.

We used to drive up to the Sierra Nevada mtns to go sledding and snowboarding, but at least we didn't have to live in it. Maybe some people can find enough to do and enjoy snow for days on end. I suppose everyone is capable of adapting, but we all have our preferences.

Seeing snow doesn't "get old" to me. Especially because the snow depth varies throughout the season and years. I find it interesting how deep it can get before reaching it's peak. I grew up in the South though, snow was a thing you only saw in movies. I never even been to another state besides Florida til I was 15. Very few people in my family have lived in snow but I love and thrive in it. My family spends thousand of dollars to vacation in a cabin in the mountains and hope they see at least one snowfall. I just get to my backyard between Dec-March. I have beautiful northern wilderness and 10,000 lakes at my reach. I fit right into the northern lifestyle. I wanna get my kids into hockey when they are little.

The man I might end up marrying is a native Texan. He does well in both cold and heat but has always said he does better in heat. He would think 20 is "super cold". Well he was up here for Christmas, we experience zero and under. To my surprise not only did he manage really well, he said he hardly felt that cold. His body adjusted like that and now that he sees sub-zero weather isn't as bad as it sounds, he's excited to move up this summer. Hell we had another friend come with from Texas and she used to find the 50s cold. Not only did she adapt pretty well, she fell in love with the state and is serious about moving here because shes only lived in Texas and Oklahoma and she finds it boring after 23 years. She was blown away by the winter scenery up here.

Some people do well in the cold even from the South, some don't. Same with the heat. I appreciate where I live, it's perfect for me. Texas is nice in many ways but can't see myself living there long term. Politically it's too red, scenery is a bit bland, the food is amazing though and the people are for the most part, wonderful and not reflective of the crazy backwards politicians. This place though is way more up my alley. More progressive, more scenic, less poverty and crime. The people are nice. The food.. Well we may not have Tex-Mex, Texas barbecue or just plain old southern food, but we have great fish, local pizza places as opposed to only chains, and other underrated dishes. Minnesota wild rice? Yes please!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 AM

44,855 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Well, I've lived all over the world, and several times in regions that got a lot of snow and a long winter, and all I can say is that I much prefer a short winter with a little snow and a long, hot summer. I also like more humidity than many people do - I don't much like drier areas, mostly due to the drying effects on skin, hair, sinuses, etc. I guess I'm just wired together to appreciate a more southern climate so I'm very happy where I am!

We've had snow on the ground since Monday night but it FINALLY began melting yesterday. Thank goodness. I can't wait for the last of it to be gone today! I do not find dirty snow to be a pleasing aesthetic and just looking at icicles hanging from gutters and the undercarriages of vehicles (dirty ones at that) makes me shudder.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 AM

4,946 posts, read 2,972,357 times
Los Angeles here. Use to live in Chicago. Can confirm that I miss real seasons. We have our own strange seasons. We're on mudslide season right now. Just got out of fire season. Hoping to have a Lakers Riot season this year..

Old 01-19-2018, 11:20 AM

15,521 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's ugly up north in March and April when the snow starts melting and there are those God forsaken snowpiles in *every* parking lot you can see. It's above freezing but the piles are so big they take weeks or even months to melt. They are piled high and various shades of black, they almost make me vomit.
Snow is not naturally black. That is soot from automobiles. If you live in a place with automobiles, that black soot is everywhere at all times, summer and winter. You should really be vomiting constantly, year round, snow or not if you live in a place with car traffic.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,448,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Even worse. You go from 0 to 50 and back to 0 in a matter of days. Then summer can be as hot as Texas.

You could double my salary and I still wouldn't accept living up in that frozen wasteland.
Actually, this week it was sub-zero to 60 in three days. However, I don't consider the Black Hills a frozen wasteland. It's not for the faint of heart, and it's certainly not for people who don't like variety, but I appreciate the beauty and the adventure.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:52 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,164,613 times
Rough winter in Nashville its in the 60s, tough times.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,945,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Rough winter in Nashville its in the 60s, tough times.
I see your high in the mid-40s with a 28 degree low.

And looking ahead, next week you have a 40-60% chance of rain... all week. That weather sucks!!!!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:38 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Snow is not naturally black. That is soot from automobiles. If you live in a place with automobiles, that black soot is everywhere at all times, summer and winter. You should really be vomiting constantly, year round, snow or not if you live in a place with car traffic.
Exactly. Snow gets ugly on the sides of busy streets. But any street that gets little traffic it stays pretty clean. All snow does is highlight the effects of pollution and it's the pollution that's gross not the snow itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or