U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I see your high in the mid-40s with a 28 degree low.

And looking ahead, next week you have a 40-60% chance of rain... all week. That weather sucks!!!!
Rain in winter sucks but I love it in spring like late March early April. Those soggy wet mild days lead to beautiful green grass in the rest of April and May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM

We got 11 inches from a storm yesterday. Finished all the driveway shoveling today. A lot of work but boy is it beautiful! My aunt in Florida was on the phone yesterday and asked "aren't you sick of the snow yet?" And I said "Sick of it? I ain't even gone skiing yet!" Ask me in March if this snow is still sticking around if I am sick of it lol but it's only January right now. I am loving all this snow we got.

But on the whole topic of "seasons" me and my roommate were talking about this upcoming spring and all the garden and landscape plans. When we moved to this house the property managers hadn't done jack for landscaping. We had nothing but weeds instead of grass. When spring comes and the frost date has passed, we are planting grass, my tulips will hopefully sprout and bloom and I will make the flower bed look nice. It's not just fall and winter I love, it's the whole package deal. I enjoy the snow but I look forward to the flowers, then I look forward to summer nights by the fire, and going to apple orchards in the autumn. It's a beautiful cycle.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:23 AM

15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

And looking ahead, next week you have a 40-60% chance of rain... all week. That weather sucks!!!!
I wish we had a chance for rain like that.

If AZ weren't sucking the Colorado river dry, it'd be a glorified cat litter box.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:23 AM

185 posts, read 164,066 times
I enjoy the fact that I live in a four-season climate. It is nice to see the overall landscape throughout varying different times of the year. The same hiking path or a walk across the town will look drastically different across all four seasons. I also enjoy that there is always a break from the heat and the humidity to look forward to in the fall.

Remember that not all four-season climates are created equal. Denver, Yakutsk in Russia, and Nashville are all considered four-season climates but they are quite different. Some will have one season that lasts a bit longer and/or more extreme than the other three, some will vary a bit with precipitation, and some four-season climates have to deal with quite a bit of other severe weather (e.g. hail, tornadoes, windstorms, etc.).

Old 01-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
I enjoy the fact that I live in a four-season climate. It is nice to see the overall landscape throughout varying different times of the year. The same hiking path or a walk across the town will look drastically different across all four seasons. I also enjoy that there is always a break from the heat and the humidity to look forward to in the fall.

Remember that not all four-season climates are created equal. Denver, Yakutsk in Russia, and Nashville are all considered four-season climates but they are quite different. Some will have one season that lasts a bit longer and/or more extreme than the other three, some will vary a bit with precipitation, and some four-season climates have to deal with quite a bit of other severe weather (e.g. hail, tornadoes, windstorms, etc.).
Agree about the changing landscape. I just got back from a fun little walk around my local park. It's so surreal seeing all the playground equipment buried under a foot of snow. What's also cool is that in the spring all of this will melt and it will reveal all kinds of things that one may not have realised were under the snow.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Agree about the changing landscape. I just got back from a fun little walk around my local park. It's so surreal seeing all the playground equipment buried under a foot of snow. What's also cool is that in the spring all of this will melt and it will reveal all kinds of things that one may not have realised were under the snow.
Yep snow can be beautiful.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:51 PM

44,797 posts, read 36,172,094 times
So, today the high was about 55 with abundant - brilliant even - sunshine and blue, blue skies. It was almost enough to make me want to work in the yard but I resisted temptation because I know it's going to get very cold again, definitely below freezing again. Hopefully though, the ice and snow are done with.

I cleaned out the flower beds and all that jazz in December and all the leaves are raked up so everything is nice and clean but bare. I can hardly wait for spring and spring planting! Hoping that all my hydrangeas make it!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So, today the high was about 55 with abundant - brilliant even - sunshine and blue, blue skies. It was almost enough to make me want to work in the yard but I resisted temptation because I know it's going to get very cold again, definitely below freezing again. Hopefully though, the ice and snow are done with.

I cleaned out the flower beds and all that jazz in December and all the leaves are raked up so everything is nice and clean but bare. I can hardly wait for spring and spring planting! Hoping that all my hydrangeas make it!
It's only January hun lol. Even in Texas that's way too early to be prepping for spring. Back in 2015 we had a mildish January and most of February was mild and then boom... snow came and came and lasted til early March! You just gotta settle down, remember each season is 3 months even in Texas y'all!

I am actually really looking forward to gutting that flower bed and getting rid of those ferns myself. Of course that flower bed is buried under deep snow at the moment and that's fine with me. It'll be spring before ya know it. Time goes by too fast these days.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:03 AM

44,797 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's only January hun lol. Even in Texas that's way too early to be prepping for spring. Back in 2015 we had a mildish January and most of February was mild and then boom... snow came and came and lasted til early March! You just gotta settle down, remember each season is 3 months even in Texas y'all!

I am actually really looking forward to gutting that flower bed and getting rid of those ferns myself. Of course that flower bed is buried under deep snow at the moment and that's fine with me. It'll be spring before ya know it. Time goes by too fast these days.
Oh I know - I always want to get out and work in the yard when we have a mild week in January, but I resist the temptation because I know it will get cold again. For about three days at a time in between the warming trends. Today the high is supposed to be around 60, with more sun. RESIST TEMPTATION. Next week the highs are supposed to be in the 40s with lows in the 20s a couple of days so I need to just chill! Literally and figuratively I guess.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:43 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,941,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
55 degrees? brrrrrrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or